Who is better?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
What?

I have Morgan ahead of him and Brodie at number 2 which is FANTASTIC. The rest of the D core is great and the 3rd pair is one of the more solid pairs period.

I think you may have thought I was insulting Brodie or the Leafs lol

Not at all. I believe that many opposition fans, believe this to be the case (they don't think Rielly is great defensively)
If this is the case with the corps, there has to be another reason for the success. I would say its the new system.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Not at all. I believe that many opposition fans, believe this to be the case (they don't think Rielly is great defensively)
If this is the case with the corps, there has to be another reason for the success. I would say its the new system.

I think Rielly has elevated his game the past few weeks. While always great offensively I wanted him to be better in his own end, I think him and Brodie have found a great balance.

I am very impressed.

Muzzin and Holl have been outstanding! Dermott looks to be finding his groove and Bogo was a ridiculous pickup.

Bogo was a high pick and he has finally put his game together. Buffalo was a terrible place for him before.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Many Flames fans actually commented that Brodie was the more effective player this past season, when the acquisition was made.

Yeah I found most Flame fans were very disappointed to see him go. I think it was mostly other fans with the negative Brodie comments. Really just par for the course on this site when there is a blue and white jersey switch. Only negative i remember from some Flame fans was he would have the occasional Gardiner moments. Knock wood, haven't really seen it yet.

Reactions: Sundinisagod

AvroArrow

The way she goes
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Probably nitpicking, but I think Brodie's closer to a #2D. Not defensively elite enough to be a #1D nor offensively elite enough to be a #1D, but good enough at both to fall into that #2D category.

I think most of us leaf fans agree. We don't really have that true elite #1D to be quite honest, but we have a lot of good quality D-men. IMO Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin are all #2D, Muzzin maybe a #3D. Rielly provides high end offense, but there are concerns with his defending at times.

Conor McDavitt

Oct 17, 2017
If I needed a top 4 D-man that I was not planning on using on the powerplay, I would pick Brodie as a player, but if I needed an offensive d-man to run my teams power play, I would pick Barrie. They are for completely different roles on a team.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Looking on my phone and may have made a mistake but Leafs with Brodie moved to 4th in GA/GP from 26th last year. Oilers with Barrie are at 25th from 15th last year.
To be fair to the Oilers, not having Klefbom is a much bigger problem for them than giving Barrie big minutes.

Reactions: Dache

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I think most of us leaf fans agree. We don't really have that true elite #1D to be quite honest, but we have a lot of good quality D-men. IMO Rielly, Brodie, Muzzin are all #2D, Muzzin maybe a #3D. Rielly provides high end offense, but there are concerns with his defending at times.

I'd put Muzzin squarely in that #2D spot, for similar reasons I listed for Brodie. Not elite at either offense or defense, but good enough at both to be kind of a jack-of-all-trades top pairing guy.

I also think Rielly's a #1D. Probably not an elite one due to the defensive issues you mentioned, but a #1D in the same way guys like John Carlson is, and a guy like Mike Green in the past was. But yeah, at worst he's a high end #2D.

I think the Brodie signing was a coup. He's a guy that I've wanted the Pens to target for a while now and I'm surprised he only cost what he did. He's really solidified the top pairing for the Leafs.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
To be fair to the Oilers, not having Klefbom is a much bigger problem for them than giving Barrie big minutes.

No doubt and obviously I realize that's not all attributable to Brodie either by any means. There's many factors that come into play (goaltending also being a big one for Edmonton).

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
I'd put Muzzin squarely in that #2D spot, for similar reasons I listed for Brodie. Not elite at either offense or defense, but good enough at both to be kind of a jack-of-all-trades top pairing guy.

I also think Rielly's a #1D. Probably not an elite one due to the defensive issues you mentioned, but a #1D in the same way guys like John Carlson is, and a guy like Mike Green in the past was. But yeah, at worst he's a high end #2D.

I think the Brodie signing was a coup. He's a guy that I've wanted the Pens to target for a while now and I'm surprised he only cost what he did. He's really solidified the top pairing for the Leafs.

With how well Brodie has fit, it says a lot about Dubas as well. The two knocks on Dubas have been the big 4 contracts and the Kadri deal. On the contracts, he has had several good to great signings. The big 4 seem bad on the surface but to date, all have lived up to their contracts except possibly Tavares but that's also a UFA deal, which is what it is. He's not far off. To the point of Kadri, we know his initial deal was for Brodie but nixed by Kadri, so it kind of speaks to Kyle's eye for talent. Had he been able to swing the trade he wanted, you wouldn't hear a peep about Kadri. It also leads me to wonder if moving Kadri was his decision alone or if as a club they decided he had to be moved out one way or another? There were also reports he wanted Babcock gone before the start of last season in favour of Keefe and so far that thought is looking bang on too. Really liking the looks of this kid.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
With how well Brodie has fit, it says a lot about Dubas as well. The two knocks on Dubas have been the big 4 contracts and the Kadri deal. On the contracts, he has had several good to great signings. The big 4 seem bad on the surface but to date, all have lived up to their contracts except possibly Tavares but that's also a UFA deal, which is what it is. He's not far off. To the point of Kadri, we know his initial deal was for Brodie but nixed by Kadri, so it kind of speaks to Kyle's eye for talent. Had he been able to swing the trade he wanted, you wouldn't hear a peep about Kadri. It also leads me to wonder if moving Kadri was his decision alone or if as a club they decided he had to be moved out one way or another? There were also reports he wanted Babcock gone before the start of last season in favour of Keefe and so far that thought is looking bang on too. Really liking the looks of this kid.

I haven't always agreed or liked the moves he's made, but I do appreciate the fact he seems to realize the holes in the lineup and attempts to address them. The Barrie trade didn't work out, but the Brodie signing seems to have rectified the weakness in the defense corps that needed fixing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->