Proposal: Barrie for Kapanen+++

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Everyone saying it's an overpayment by the Leafs, but from an Avs POV I think I'd rather just keep Barrie and try to be competitive next year :popcorn:
It's a massive overpayment. Kapanen alone probably makes you just as competitive. Hes young, cheap and is going to be a 30/30 type of player. That's not even considering the other pieces involved. I wouldn't do the deal for Kapanen straight up.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Leaf fans significantly over-inflate the value of their players. They create rumours there is never enough value available. Toronto media also creates a lot of the fake stories as well.
Right. Only Leafs fans do this. Funny, because every trade thread is full of the same from the other side trying to convince everyone that we just never see player X enough to form an opinion. Every player outside of Toronto is underrated.

Reactions: Leafidelity

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
It's a massive overpayment. Kapanen alone probably makes you just as competitive. Hes young, cheap and is going to be a 30/30 type of player. That's not even considering the other pieces involved. I wouldn't do the deal for Kapanen straight up.
That's an overpayment from the Leafs pretty much everyone would agree on that but I do think that Kapanen wouldn't become a 30/30 type of player on the Avs playing with guys like Kerfoot, Compher or Jost unless we somehow manage to get Hughes or Kakko while Barrie has been a consistent point producer and a good puck moving dman. The problem is that I don't think that Leafs need a dman like Barrie and I don't think that Kapanen solve our second line problem if the Avs trade Barrie. Leafs are already a top 5 team in GF. I hope the draft fixes our 2nd line though.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
That's an overpayment from the Leafs pretty much everyone would agree on that but I do think that Kapanen wouldn't become a 30/30 type of player on the Avs playing with guys like Kerfoot, Compher or Jost unless we somehow manage to get Hughes or Kakko while Barrie has been a consistent point producer and a good puck moving dman. The problem is that I don't think that Leafs need a dman like Barrie and I don't think that Kapanen solve our second line problem if the Avs trade Barrie. Leafs are already a top 5 team in GF. I hope the draft fixes our 2nd line though.
Kapanen produces with or without star players. Hes done it at every level. If that weren't true then I'd be more than open to dealing him.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Leaf fans significantly over-inflate the value of their players. They create rumours there is never enough value available. Toronto media also creates a lot of the fake stories as well.
Every team's fans over inflate the value of their players and create rumours where there is never enough value. Yes the media does that.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
Isn’t Reilly playing the RD position now since the Muzzin acquisition? Reilly and Gardiner are elite puck movers and Dermott and Muzzin aren’t slouches either. Obviously if Zaitsev could be moved you look at anything but Tanev with Gardiner would be ideal.

Muzzin - Reilly
Gardiner - Tanev
Dermott - Hainsey

The key is moving Zaitsev and not mortgaging the future to upgrade him. Barrie would cost I believe Kadri. Tanev could likely be hard for a 2020 first and prospect.

Rielly was playing the right side but he switched back. I think it was killing his offence or something. Our d pairs are kind of messy rn.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Kapanen produces with or without star players. Hes done it at every level. If that weren't true then I'd be more than open to dealing him.
Hard to believe that he produces with or without star players after looking here : Kasperi Kapanen - Frozen Tools

He didn’t produce that much last season playing with the likes of Leivo, Moore, Komarov, Bozak and Plekanec. I really have a hard time seeing him produce with Compher, Kerfoot, Jost when those players plays more in their own zone then the opposing team’s zone. But as you said you wouldn’t move him so I think it’s fair to say that Avs wouldn’t do it straight up too and I’m fine with that. If I’m trading Barrie I would look into a more proven player though even if we had to add other than that might as well keep him until Makar is fully ready to take a top 4 role.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Jesus. Looks like we found the newest shiny toy in Leafs land. I gladly settle for Nylander over Kapanen if he is so important to you guys....
Or is he not available either?

Amazing how many forwards the Leafs have that are easily worth more than a 50-60 point defenseman....
Exactly. Avs need quality not quantity.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
KK benefited from AM, but was headed to 4th line or packaged in a trade. 1st is likely bottom pick. The rest are garbage prospects.

I was being generous by providing a Cap Dunp.
Garbage prospects? Jeremy Bracco is 4th in AHL scoring at 21 years old and is the youngest in the top 5. The only reason he hasn't been called up is because the Leafs are loaded at the wings.

If there were say, a 1-lined team desperate for scoring before they fell out of the playoff mix, he would have been called up already (know any teams like that?). He's younger than AJ Greer(who has been called up by COL) and putting up better numbers.

You can say the offer isn't fair if you want, or that it is bad for COL, but at least know what you are talking about regarding individual players.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Garbage prospects? Jeremy Bracco is 4th in AHL scoring at 21 years old and is the youngest in the top 5. The only reason he hasn't been called up is because the Leafs are loaded at the wings.

If there were say, a 1-lined team desperate for scoring before they fell out of the playoff mix, he would have been called up already (know any teams like that?). He's younger than AJ Greer(who has been called up by COL) and putting up better numbers.

You can say the offer isn't fair if you want, or that it is bad for COL, but at least know what you are talking about regarding individual players.
Yes but Greer's size makes him more likely to be an NHL guy. Bracco is definitely a boom/bust guy. If we traded Barrie IMO it should be for a proven 2nd liner.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Yes but Greer's size makes him more likely to be an NHL guy. Bracco is definitely a boom/bust guy. If we traded Barrie IMO it should be for a proven 2nd liner.

Like I said, I wasn't talking about the deal (though Kapanen is a proven 2nd liner I'd say). I was disputing the argument that said there were garbage prospects in the deal.

I disagree with the idea of "boom or bust" but that's probably best left for a different thread.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
Like I said, I wasn't talking about the deal (though Kapanen is a proven 2nd liner I'd say). I was disputing the argument that said there were garbage prospects in the deal.

I disagree with the idea of "boom or bust" but that's probably best left for a different thread.
Kapanen has had a great season but he's not the level of player that Barrie is or holds the same kind of value.

And the reason I would say Bracco is boom/bust is obviously his size and if that can translate to the next level. I know its the new NHL but I've seen guys like Andrighetto start strong and post good numbers but they can't keep it up because smaller players have to battle harder plain and simple and it taxes them. Btw I'm not trying to downplay Bracco because the issue isn't with value in this proposal more needs.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
OPs proposal is bad, but there's some equally as terrible things being said by Leafs fans in this thread... Wouldn't trade Kapanen straight up for Barrie? :laugh: That's the type of response we all come to expect from the Leafs fan base.

Makar Goes Fast

grocery stick
Aug 17, 2012
downtown poundtown
OPs proposal is bad, but there's some equally as terrible things being said by Leafs fans in this thread... Wouldn't trade Kapanen straight up for Barrie? :laugh: That's the type of response we all come to expect from the Leafs fan base.
too be fair how could they? this would muddy there already out of hand cap situation. I'd hope anyone who said they wouldnt do a 1 for 1 is using this reasoning and not because they think kapanen has more value.

Reactions: HoBOonFiRE

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
Kapanen is better defensively than Barrie....we don't need another Gardiner.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Barrie would be a good target for Tor, especially if the Avs were willing to retain, Tor could have a top end RHD as well as a cheap Gards replacement for next year.

However the Avs would be looking for a pretty specific return, and I don't personally feel like Kap fits either of those. They would either be looking for a legit top 6 play driving forward with term which will be tough to find (and while I can see why some feel Kap fits that I just don't fully agree, even though he is close), or a full on massive futures deal. So guy like Brown aren't a need.

So if Tor wanted to go all in on Barrie, it would be something like 2020 1st, 2019 2nd, Sandin for Barrie at 50%. Its a large price but they don't sacrifice anything off their roster and getting one of the best offensive D at 2.75AAV for this year and next would be a perfect fit in Babs system.

I think Tor is a stretch because of how thin they are at futures it'd be a high price but the fit is there.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad