Proposal: Barrie for Kapanen+++

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Kapanen is better defensively than Barrie....we don't need another Gardiner.

I mean, even if the first part is true(It's not but whatever)....

Gardiner has hit 50 points just a single time in his career, and 40+ just twice, he's barely pacing for 40 again this year and has all of 2 goals...

Barrie is twice the offensive Dman Gardiner is, they're not comparable players at all.

Reactions: Rantanen The Goat

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
I mean, even if the first part is true(It's not but whatever)....

Gardiner has hit 50 points just a single time in his career, and 40+ just twice, he's barely pacing for 40 again this year and has all of 2 goals...

Barrie is twice the offensive Dman Gardiner is, they're not comparable players at all.
And if an offensive Dman is what the Leafs needed, that would be great....but offensive Dman is 1 position lower on our list of needs than genital warts.

Znith

Aug 16, 2012
I wouldn't do this simply because of years of control.

Leafs won't be able to sign Barrie long term because of salary structure. He will be a UFA in a year and a half commanding $7m.

Kapanen has like 4-5 years of team control and no arbitration rights.

So its basically 1.5 years of Barrie for 4-5 years of Kapanen. Pass.

ViewsFromThe6ix

Zachary on the Attackary
Oct 17, 2013
6ix
Stop saying this it's so disingenuous. Kap is an awesome player but we all know if that was an available 1 for 1 he'd be in Carolina.

What are you talking about? It's been widely reported that Kapanen and Johnsson were non-starters from the Leafs end.

Mar 26, 2010
You aren't kidding....

His last trade proposal;

Nylander + Sandin + Timashov + 1st round pick for Barrie + Kerfoot

Hands down the worst Leafs trade proposal threads. Hands down.
Wtf? I would not trade Nylander alone for Barrie.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
No. It's been widely reported that Kapanen + or Johnsson + were non-starters from the Leafs end. Big difference.
Not really. Leafs wouldn't trade even if they added to kap or Johnson. At the end of the leafs wouldn't move them for pesce. One for one or if the leafs added. They wouldn't do it.

In terms of semantics it matters but not at the end of the day.

It's not nearly as big of a deal your making. And certainly not a "big" deal.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Seems like a lot, but considering the players involved for Muzzin, the value might be close except the AVs would have to absorb cap dumps.
Wut.

None of the pieces given up for Muzzin are remotely close to Kapanen’s value.

Grundstrom was likely behind Bracco as well.

Do the Leafs really need another puck mover with Reilly and Gardiner?

I still think a Hjarmalsson or Tanev would be better targets and much more affordable

I think Hjalmarsson makes the Leafs cup favourites, I really do. I’d drop Lil, a first, + in a heartbeat for him.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
I'd say the Avs pass. Kapanen a late 1st and a bunch of nothing shouldn't get you Barrie.
I was scrolling up from the bottom of the page, saw this post. Thought the person must not understand the value of the players, and then saw your name and realized the person just doesn’t care about the value of the players, only that they’re Leafs.

glucker

Aug 22, 2008
London, ON
Jesus. Looks like we found the newest shiny toy in Leafs land. I gladly settle for Nylander over Kapanen if he is so important to you guys....
Or is he not available either?

Amazing how many forwards the Leafs have that are easily worth more than a 50-60 point defenseman....
It’s funny on this site. Can’t call Matthews a 70 point player, but nobody bats an eye at calling Barrie a 60 point player.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

Tall Morty

Visualize the action to actualize the vision
Apr 18, 2017
Obviously there are a few problems with the OP, but I just want to say, no f***in way should we be trading a 1st a year+ in advance.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I also wouldn’t trade Sandin, Timashov and a 1st for Barrie.
Based on needs we wouldn't too. It's still early I know but the way Graves has been playing lately that would be a lateral move to trade Barrie for a LHD as center piece that we don't need that much. Target someone like Nuge or something remotely good for our 2nd line other than that not interested I will gladly keep Barrie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad