Babcock

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
What are we the old Ottawa Sens where only regular season matters
They lost the series and Babcock match ups failed miserably. Played right into their hands
They did finish ahead in the regular season, no? They were actually favoured remember. Doesn't that make them the better team and the expected victor? How does the coach get outdone by the other coach when the other team is considered the superior team?

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
What are we the old Ottawa Sens where only regular season matters
They lost the series and Babcock match ups failed miserably. Played right into their hands

TBH being the old Sens has little to do with Babcock and more to do with the fact that Lalime was an absolute sieve in the playoffs. He choked hard, and that's not on coaching.

6ix

HitEmWit4LikeAustonM
Nov 26, 2014
If the leafs are gunna lose a game, they should be losing 6-5 or 5-4. Lose playing to your strengths and playing your game b/c you will lose games in an 82 game season.

I cant stand them losing 3-1 or 2-1 trying to play a different style that Babcock is forcing. This f***ing clown of a coach doesn’t allow our players to play to their strengths. Dinosaur of a coach.

Liminality

Oct 22, 2008
Last night
Yes but you said

I don't think that is going to change Babs coaching desisions
Brown and Kadri will still get 18 minutes matching against there top lines.

That doesn't sound like you're talking about just last night.

Even if you are just talking about last night, Brown had 12:02 EV ice time last night. That's good for 5th most for forwards. He had 2:58 in SH icetime and 2:28 in PP ice time.
One area I would like to see less of Brown is on the powerplay but even then this isn't something to get 100% angry about.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
They did finish ahead in the regular season, no? They were actually favoured remember. Doesn't that make them the better team and the expected victor? How does the coach get outdone by the other coach when the other team is considered the superior team?

Exactly what’s been discussed in this thread. Player usage, match-ups, over-playing guys like Hainsey......
All that to say I think he’s a world-class coach. But he’ll need better results this year. And Dubas also needs to help him out

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
There is more to coaching that what happens in games. So imo to judge a coach based on games is not equitable.
Also if you are going to judge a coach based on the on ice performance, should not the team record be the tale of the tape?

Reactions: johnny_rudeboy

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
I don't think that is going to change Babs coaching desisions
Brown and Kadri will still get 18 minutes matching against there top lines.

As one poster said we are playing not to lose.

We need to be having other teams worry about us.

Otherwise

Why should we be paying 4 players half our cap.

We might as well get a bunch of average players and just shut down other team.

Babcock is taking our best asset out of the game offense and speed.
wow and yet and yet so much dead wrong here

fake news actually MM,JT,AM all between 15.30/16 est toipg

kadri is at only 13.30 est toi gp
brown is only 11.58

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
There is more to coaching that what happens in games. So imo to judge a coach based on games is not equitable.
Also if you are going to judge a coach based on the on ice performance, should not the team record be the tale of the tape?

And if you get blown out in the playoffs does that team record mean anything? Just sayin’

NightTrain1

Oct 20, 2013
@Nightrain1 and @Nithoniniel

Thank you both. While writing differing opinions, you offer the rarest of commodities in this world: reasoned, supported and courteous arguments.

Keep them coming, please.

To be completely honest here, I actually have very similar views on Babcock as Nith does. My post was focused primarily on the derailment of what so many knee-jerk fans around here consider to be a good coach.
I also agree with what Pookie said as well regarding the myth of coaching. I played sports to a very high level, national level. With all different types of coaches and qualities of styles. Even the ones I didn't agree with did not mean I necessarily thought they were bad coaches, which seems to be the largest assertion here whether people know it or not.

I think Babs is actually very good coach. But his style is not my own preferred style and I doubt that will change. But Im not upset we have him either because he knows how to bring success.

Reactions: meefer

moon111

Oct 18, 2014
The biggest problem with Babcock is his goals and objectives are way beyond the grasp of most fans.
When you see Babcock let the team roll out their offense and the game looks natural for the players,
that's a complete sign of disrespect to the opposition coming from him. He's letting his players have
fun, because there's no lesson to be had against an easy opponent. To Babcock, it's a meaningless
game that doesn't bring the club one step closer to it's objective. Win in the playoffs. When you
see the Leafs have an uncomfortable game, sure blame it on Babcock. He's not in it to win multiple
President's trophies. He's after the Stanley Cup and knows it will take more then just free-flowing
offensive game-play to get there. He want to be at the point the opposition can bring any game they
want against the Leafs and it won't work.

"We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight
with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our island, whatever the cost
may be. We shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields
and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender
" -Sir Winston Leonard Spencer-Churchill

I saw someone compare the Leaf's high flying offense to the `80's Edmonton Oilers. Despite how powerful they
were, the Oilers lost to N.Y. Islanders. And the one thing the Oilers took from that was how mellow the
Islanders celebrations were. They were more concerned with putting on ice packs. The Oilers realized the
level of sacrifice and dedication needed. Babcock knows this, the fans don't know this, and heck, many of
the players don't either.

"You would watch us play…and see the puck pursuit. All of those things you talk about today: the gap
between defense and forward, the work down low in our own zone. We were stifling." - Dennis Povin.

Personally I think one of the biggest reasons Nylander is hiding is his fear/dislike of Babcock. When it
comes to a battle, Nylander runs away while Babcock wants to see no surrender. Of course star players
don't have to be a beast, but you saw Marleau go from 1 to 2.7 hits per game. Matthews, who sounds like
was injured, still went from 0.3 hits to 2.0 hits per game. Nylander went from 0.3 to 0.9. If the Leafs
want to win, really win, they need to be willing to sacrifice at times. Why did the Leafs lose? For the
same reason that Tyler Ennis is currently 5th on the Leafs for hits per game.

Reactions: OppositeLocK

SoVi3t

Sep 16, 2009
Most people who don’t have anything smart to say need to just spam the same thing in every thread over and over.

Why do you think I have so many posts? :sarcasm:

I always chuckle at that. I been here almost a decade now, and still have less than 500 posts.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
Taking a higher ranked team to game 7 while missing one of your better players for a good part of the series is getting blown out?
:dunno:

No sorry blown out was the wrong term to use. Let's just say if they go out in the first round this year, will a great regular season mean much?

saltming

Fan Addict
Oct 6, 2015
Other
No sorry blown out was the wrong term to use. Let's just say if they go out in the first round this year, will a great regular season mean much?
For me it really depends on how they go out. There are ways that will make me sour and ways that I will be able to accept

White Shadow

Jan 7, 2016
Exactly what’s been discussed in this thread. Player usage, match-ups, over-playing guys like Hainsey......
All that to say I think he’s a world-class coach. But he’ll need better results this year. And Dubas also needs to help him out
I see. If the favourite beats the dog it's the fault of the dogs coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad