Prospect Info: Babcock: Mikheyev (LW) is going to be a big part of our team (next year) RE-VOTE his Center

Who will be Mikheyev's center next year?

• Total voters

toronto money leafs
Sep 29, 2017
Paris
found this pic of him in a Leafs jersey dont click play
khl-russian-forward-ilya-mikheyev-have-chosen-the-leafs-signing-a-1-year-contract-.jpg

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Looking forward to see this guy in camp. I've heard/read he plays a small rink game already, but I think, naturally, there is going to be adjustment and a slow down from the speed in these videos. Remember Kulemin looked fast and had the same awesome shot in Russia. I get a Kulemin vibe off him. Wouldn't mind if he turns out to be another Kule, but the hype seems to be more of a top 6 winger once he gets going. For once it would be nice to hit home run with these European FA signings.

Reactions: Eric bungay

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
From r! - Babs taking a selfie with Mik and his agent at Egglicious on Kipling/Horner in 'Sauga:

09241_jj83xyoqxtf31_122_126lo.jpg

OMG! THE OUTRAGE ......

...errr... I mean the gas is 5 cents cheaper a L in old Miss than it is here ... and I'm less than 2 hours away from an oil refinery.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Babs seems to love this guy...that doesn't fill me with confidence.

Why?

He usually plays guys he loves, regardless of skill level.

Mikheyev certainly looks like a skilled player, and his skating seems a step above everyone else on the ice.

If I had to chose between giving ice time to a player with skill or the opposite it's an easy choice.

Just limit the options for Babcock to fall in love with grunts.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
Looking forward to see this guy in camp. I've heard/read he plays a small rink game already, but I think, naturally, there is going to be adjustment and a slow down from the speed in these videos. Remember Kulemin looked fast and had the same awesome shot in Russia. I get a Kulemin vibe off him. Wouldn't mind if he turns out to be another Kule, but the hype seems to be more of a top 6 winger once he gets going. For once it would be nice to hit home run with these European FA signings.

Fingers crossed about him.

I don't think he can be another Kulemin with 30lbs less muscle on his frame. He'll get "Soshnikov'd" out of the league trying to play hard hockey without the hard body. He'll need to play more of a finesse power style game like a JVR.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Leafs need this guy to be a player for them this season.

Leafs depth is taking a big hit via the new re-signings of their own players, so you need cheap ELC players to contribute at significant levels.

He looks like a player on big ice in Europe that could help the Leafs, so lets hope he transitions to the NA game.

A season similar to AJ and Kappy last year would be great, in the 20 goal and +40 points range as he is basically replacing Patty Marleau's production.

Last edited:

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Fingers crossed about him.

I don't think he can be another Kulemin with 30lbs less muscle on his frame. He'll get "Soshnikov'd" out of the league trying to play hard hockey without the hard body. He'll need to play more of a finesse power style game like a JVR.
He's the same height and 10lbs heavier than Wayne Simmonds, and playing in a league where the average height and weight have been declining. I wouldn't pre-determine that a player needs to drastically change his playing style over a relatively small amount of weight on a really good sized frame

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Leafs need this guy to be a player for them this season.

Leafs depth is taking a big hit via he new resignings of their own players, so you need cheap ELC players to contribute at significant levels.

He looks like a player on big ice in Europe that could help the Leafs, so lets hope he transitions to the NA game.

It would be nice if he turns out to be something, but the leafs with their clearly improved depth this year don't really need him to.

But it would be a nice bonus for sure.

Reactions: Menzinger

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It would be nice if he turns out to be something, but the leafs with their clearly improved depth this year don't really need him to.

But it would be a nice bonus for sure.

Barring a miracle Hyman recovery for October, either he or Moore will get top 6 time.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Barring a miracle Hyman recovery for October, either he or Moore will get top 6 time.

that's one way of saying it, and it's certainly a nice opportunity for one of them.

but the other way of saying it is that when we're healthy, there's only room for one of them even in our top-9. and that's only if they're better than other guys who were in 3rd or even 2nd line roles last year like Aberg, Agostino, or Spezza.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
that's one way of saying it, and it's certainly a nice opportunity for one of them.

but the other way of saying it is that when we're healthy, there's only room for one of them even in our top-9. and that's only if they're better than other guys who were in 3rd or even 2nd line roles last year like Aberg, Agostino, or Spezza.

Moore's making the team, since he's waiver eligible

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad