Prospect Info: Babcock: Mikheyev (LW) is going to be a big part of our team (next year) RE-VOTE his Center

Who will be Mikheyev's center next year?

• Total voters

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
The funny part is Babcock thinks only players with talent need to earn ice time.

declaring this guy is going to be a big part of the team before seeing him skate a single NHL shift is ridiculous.

The best part of this one is that he doesn't even seem to be overly gudpro.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
You know what I said **** it, Babcock's ignorance fascinates me so much I just had to look up the TOI.

First 2 months of the season - Babcock's new recruit Par Lindholm - averaged 13:56 TOI through the first 2 months of the season (27 games)!!!

He was ahead of all of: Johnsson (LOL), Ennis, Leivo, and Gauthier. Like how the **** does this even happen? You can even take out Lindholm's SH TOI and he STILL played more minutes than those guys.

NHL.com - Stats

That TOI picture in general for the first 2 months of the season is just a complete ****ing mess. Hyman and Marleau averaged more TOI than Matthews (who only averaged 21 more seconds a game than Kadri).

Funny enough, after December 1st - Lindholm's TOI started to drop significantly and the whole TOI picture started leaning towards star players receiving more TOI. I have no doubt in my mind that management told Babcock his player deployment needs to change because it's utterly absurd.

Oh this is fun. More of these numbers please.

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Based on Babcocks grin in that selfie, kids going to get 25-35minutes a night

giphy.gif

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
You know what I said **** it, Babcock's ignorance fascinates me so much I just had to look up the TOI.

First 2 months of the season - Babcock's new recruit Par Lindholm - averaged 13:56 TOI through the first 2 months of the season (27 games)!!!

He was ahead of all of: Johnsson (LOL), Ennis, Leivo, and Gauthier. Like how the **** does this even happen? You can even take out Lindholm's SH TOI and he STILL played more minutes than those guys.

lol, your typical Babcock hater posts where you're usually wrong or BS'ing lol ... I believe Johnsson was so bad he got himself healthy scratched in the first couple months of the season, and Ennis, Leivo, and Gauthier are 4th line guys on this Leafs team

Last edited:
Reactions: MyBudJT

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
lol, your typical Babcock hater posts where you're usually wrong or BS'ing lol ... I believe Johnsson was so bad he got himself healthy scratched in the first couple months of the season, and Ennis, Leivo, and Gauthier are 4th line guys on this Leafs team

When did Marleau get healthy scratched? Babcock apologists just can't stand any form of criticism for some reason. It's weird

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Neither Petan nor Mikheyev are bonafide NHLers at this point.

Well they better hurry up and get to that point, because due to the Leafs own big raises their LWs currently listed for this year are Andreas Johnsson, Zach Hyman (on LTIR), Trevor Moore and Kenny Agostino.

That might be among the NHL's weakest LWs and somebody is going to need to replace Hyman for the first 15-20 games and the other might be better than Agostino.

I'm betting Leafs and Babcock are hoping Mikheyev is a player because he might be playing LW with Tavares and Marner (when/if signed) to start the year.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Well they better hurry up and get to that point, because due to the Leafs own big raises their LWs currently listed for this year are Andreas Johnsson, Zach Hyman (on LTIR), Trevor Moore and Kenny Agostino.

That might be among the NHL's weakest LWs and somebody is going to need to replace Hyman for the first 15-20 games and the other might be better than Agostino.

I'm betting Leafs and Babcock are hoping Mikheyev is a player because he might be playing LW with Tavares and Marner (when/if signed) to start the year.

Nylander can play any forward position, so he could move to LW if they needed.

Mind you if Marner is traded or sits Tavares will have to prove he can still carry a line like he did in LI.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013

Mind you if Marner is traded or sits Tavares will have to prove he can still carry a line like he did in LI.

Marner is going no where, he will be a Leaf for life.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

I see LW --- Matthews -- Nylander or Nylander -- Matthews -- RW as the same thing. :wg:

With Marner still unknown and Zach out until late November Mikheyev might really need to be a player right out of the gate as he may need to be double shifted on the same line playing both RW and LW with JT.

AJ -- Matthews -- Nylander
Mikheyev -- JT -- Mikheyev
------------------------------------
Moore -- Kerfoot -- Kapanen
Agostino -- Speeza -- Petan

Unless we're hoping Pontus Aberg, Garrett Wilson the only other players on the current roster that are signed at this time can play ahead/instead of Mikheyev.

Take Mikheyev out of the picture in this current situation and then what?

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I see LW --- Matthews -- Nylander or Nylander -- Matthews -- RW as the same thing. :wg:

With Marner still unknown and Zach out until late November Mikheyev might really need to be a player right out of the gate as he may need to be double shifted on the same line playing both RW and LW with JT.

AJ -- Matthews -- Nylander
Mikheyev -- JT -- Mikheyev
------------------------------------
Moore -- Kerfoot -- Kapanen
Agostino -- Speeza -- Petan

Unless we're hoping Pontus Aberg, Garrett Wilson the only other players on the current roster that are signed at this time can play ahead/instead of Mikheyev. .

It happens, talent is talent.

Eventually, they'll hit a homerun by continuing to take swings.

Leafs have had good kids and decent players come from Europe / Russia in the past, but some people t are afraid to be positive. 'Cause you might be wrong and then OMG some might see imperfectionn . ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
It happens, talent is talent.

Eventually, they'll hit a homerun by continuing to take swings.

Leafs have had good kids and decent players come from Europe / Russia in the past, but some people t are afraid to be positive. 'Cause you might be wrong and then OMG some might see imperfectionn . ;)

I'm hoping :crossfing that he can put up an AJ/Kapanen like last season in his rookie year with near 20 goals and 40ish points, so here's to hoping he is the next Inge Hammarstrom. :)

Maybe he is the next Nikolai Borschevsky playing alongside JT and Marner.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I'm hoping :crossfing that he can put up an AJ/Kapanen like last season in his rookie year with near 20 goals and 40ish points, so here's to hoping he is the next Inge Hammarstrom. :)

Maybe he is the next Nikolai Borschevsky playing alongside JT and Marner.
his skillset looks like he can play the Hyman role on dump ins and defensively (in terms of 5v5 - covering the dman in his own zone and pursuit if the puck in backcheck), so if he can finish a little better and steal pucks a little better it doesn't feel like he needs to be way better than expected to be a good piece. He's fast, tenacious and seems to think fast, it feels like the floor is high on him

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
his skillset looks like he can play the Hyman role on dump ins and defensively (in terms of 5v5 - covering the dman in his own zone and pursuit if the puck in backcheck), so if he can finish a little better and steal pucks a little better it doesn't feel like he needs to be way better than expected to be a good piece. He's fast, tenacious and seems to think fast, it feels like the floor is high on him

That long video of him makes it look like he's playing half his game against juniors.

His feet look swift, and apparently he has good HIQ, so the only question is deployment. Excellent skating with a brain ... probably puts him ahead of many NHLers.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
Mikheyev is going to be our best Left-handed winger next season... book it.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
That long video of him makes it look like he's playing half his game against juniors.

His feet look swift, and apparently he has good HIQ, so the only question is deployment. Excellent skating with a brain ... probably puts him ahead of many NHLers.
ya I agree, I got a lot more interested in him after I saw his video. I think that's the big differentiator between him and a guy like Lindholm is that he's absolutely deliberately driving his plays in all of his highlights where Lindholm was more of a passenger who scored by putting pucks at the net and being in the right place...which is sort of Hyman-esque. Lindholm was an Aaltonen replacement by all outward appearances, but Aaltonen was much better on his own tape than Lindholm. I think it's also interesting that Mikheyev lead his team in scoring where neither of those forwards did.

I see it the same, a 6'2" frame with that kind of speed and acceleration coupled with a brain that processes quickly should have a place in the NHL. I feel better about Mikheyev than I have about any of our UDFA's since Bozak.

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
This is exactly how I feel too. How do you think the boys in the room feel? Babs boys come in and get preferred treatment. What do you think AJ is thinking now? He must be p*ssed. Well I know i would be p*ssed. and babs says well I'm looking for 3 scoring line threats. So you play with Kappy and new centre guy and we will have 3 lines capable of putting puck in the net. I heard all this from my friends in Detroit about how he does things. It is Babs way or the highway.

I'd imagine Johnsson looks in his bank account and feels perfectly fine

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
I guess Tampa recent collapse in the playoffs taught you nothing. All their skilled small guys were absolutely ineffective vs big guys that "proved nothing". You need to have your small guys supported by bigger forwards. Otherwise get ready for beating in the playoffs.

yeah...that was an anomaly...look at them the year before basically the same team and went to the EC finals...I wouldn't put too much stock in what Columbus did last year lol, perfect storm kind of deal

JayfromNB1219

Mar 27, 2019
New Brunswick
Not only did Babcock thought that, so did Cheveldayoff of the Winnipeg Jets...

Cheveldayoff at least made sense...the West is a noticeably slower conference on average than the East so I can understand his thinking seeing as Lindholm was playing what 13 minutes a game on a team with a surplus of speed in a division that is just plain fast in a conference where speed is everything...he took a swing and lost, but I would call it an infield single as they only lost Petan lol

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I'm sure this has been posted, but check this out

The bottom video is a great example of things I love to see. Instead of trying to go through the player and potentially turning it over, he chips it past him, hits him with a speed burst to go around and just takes the puck on the other side. That's a well managed puck with a great finish.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad