Prospect Info: Babcock: Mikheyev (LW) is going to be a big part of our team (next year) RE-VOTE his Center

Who will be Mikheyev's center next year?

• Total voters

member 300185

Ok, so before I commented on this guy, I decided to do my homework. I have watched every video on him, read every article about him and any snippets from previous coaches. We have another Nylander in the ranks, except he is not soft like Nylander.

I am officially excited for this guy.
Positive:
-He has break away speed.
-He has silky hands.
-He battles
-He is fit
-He has amazing edges
-He has a high hockey IQ
-He has NHL ready snap, slap and wrist shots.
-He has an amazing attitude and is willing to learn.
-Apparently according to some of his coaches, he is a players player. He bonds well with others and will have no problem getting in tight with our "Leafs" family.

Negative:
-Doesn't care to play defence much.
-Cheats at the blue line
-Has a great slap shot....but doesn't use it. Kind of like Kessel.
-He has size that he doesn't use on the defensive side of the puck. But he has no problems crashing on the forecheck.
-Kind of has mental break downs and loses his cool, ala Kadri.

He is Panarin lite. Problem is, he is a RW. So he will get third line minutes to start. An injury to any forward and he will play up and never look back. If his talents are the same as Nylander, (which they are and then some), he is a better player because he does not cowar in corners and tries not to get hit like Willy. He is not Hyman in that regard, but more like Kapanen on the forecheck. Steals pucks upon pucks every game.

So there we have it. If you have any more detail, please add it.

Last edited by a moderator:

member 300185

Matthews Tavares Marner
Johnsson Nylander Kapanen
Mikheyev Spezza Korshkov
Moore Kerfoot Whatshisface
Wut?
Johnson-Matthews-Nylander
Kapanen-Tavares-Marner
Moore-Kerfoot-Mikheyev
Aberg-Spezza-Marlie
Agastino
Petan
Marlie

Aberg and Agastino can swap out.

That is a juicy forward line up.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
From his highlight video, I won't lie that I got excited for his power/speed/skill/fearless game, but it's still just a highlight video.

One thing that stuck out to me there though was that his play making looked bad for KHL standards, so that's not good for his NHL transition either. This is why I'm a bit hesitant to put him higher in the line-up until the team gets a closer look.

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Probably the wildest post I've seen in a long time.

Babcock has coached 2 teams to a cup final, Olympics/World Cup, but you would rather a player like Mikheyev?

I know it was a smart ass answer on my part. But Babcock should not be a head coach in the NHL now. His game management is terrible. He costs the Leafs more wins or playoff series than any one player on the Leafs will ever do.

Erndog

Jul 17, 2007
Ok, so before I commented on this guy, I decided to do my homework. I have watched every video on him, read every article about him and any snippets from previous coaches. We have another Nylander in the ranks, except he is not soft like Nylander.

Positive:
-He has silky hands.
-He battles
-He is fit
-He has amazing edges
-He has a high hockey IQ
-Apparently according to some of his coaches, he is a players player. He bonds well with others and will have no problem getting in tight with our "Leafs" family.

Negative:
-Cheats at the blue line
-He has size that he doesn't use on the defensive side of the puck. But he has no problems crashing on the forecheck.
-Will be 27 in October.

He is Panarin lite. Problem is, he is a RW. So he will get third line minutes to start. An injury to any forward and he will play up and never look back. If his talents are the same as Nylander, (which they are and then some), he is a better player because he does not cowar in corners and tries not to get hit like Willy. He is not Hyman in that regard, but more like Kapanen on the forecheck. Steals pucks upon pucks every game. Only issue is his age. He is in prime age now and only has 2 or 3 years at this level.

Hes 24.

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015

Positive:
-He has silky hands.
-He battles
-He is fit
-He has amazing edges
-He has a high hockey IQ

Negative:
-Cheats at the blue line
-Will be 27 in October.

He is Panarin lite. Problem is, he is a RW. So he will get third line minutes to start. An injury to any forward and he will play up and never look back. If his talents are the same as Nylander, (which they are and then some), he is a better player because he does not cowar in corners and tries not to get hit like Willy. He is not Hyman in that regard, but more like Kapanen on the forecheck. Steals pucks upon pucks every game. Only issue is his age. He is in prime age now and only has 2 or 3 years at this level.

he's turning 25 in october born october 10 1994

diehardleafsfan9878

Mar 9, 2015
From his highlight video, I won't lie that I got excited for his power/speed/skill/fearless game, but it's still just a highlight video.

One thing that stuck out to me there though was that his play making looked bad for KHL standards, so that's not good for his NHL transition either. This is why I'm a bit hesitant to put him higher in the line-up until the team gets a closer look.
I disagree on the playmaking call. What I saw when he did pass the puck were solid passes that his teammates were either a step behind or wiffed the chance. I more worried about him being able to get to the open areas as easily.

BodaciousBeefBazooka

Go Leafs Go
Apr 4, 2013
Toronto

Positive:
-He has silky hands.
-He battles
-He is fit
-He has amazing edges
-He has a high hockey IQ

Negative:
-Cheats at the blue line
-Will be 27 in October.

God bless you for having all this time to do research. Really appreciate it. The positives seem to out way the negatives so we will se how he performs and is utilized.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I know it was a smart ass answer on my part. But Babcock should not be a head coach in the NHL now. His game management is terrible. He costs the Leafs more wins or playoff series than any one player on the Leafs will ever do.

There is so much wrong with that post , not sure where to start. Oh I got it....

Nope!

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
And he shoots left. Rest assured we will be playing him at LW.

A lot of euros who shoot left play RW, its just one of those funky things they do over there. If he wants to make the team as a scoring winger he will try to make the adjustment to play LW.

I think Babcock is a great coach but he sometimes gets too rigid in his idea of what a line has to look like, one mucker/one goal scorer/one setup man. If Mikeyhev makes the top two lines, I think his predominate role will be to get the puck to Matthews/Nylander, Tavares/Marner, much like Hyman does. I hope Babcock let's that line grow organically and not try to control the style of the line too much.

Right Wing
Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Moore
Bracco

Left wing
Hyman
Johnsson
Kerfoot
Agostino
Wilson

If I'm a scoring winger and I'm trying to make the Leafs, the left side looks a hellof a lot weaker and my options for a centerman look a heckof a lot more appealing on the first two lines. Play with Tavaes/Matthews or play with Spezza/Gauthier/Shore/Kossila?

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
A lot of euros who shoot left play RW, its just one of those funky things they do over there. If he wants to make the team as a scoring winger he will try to make the adjustment to play LW.

I think Babcock is a great coach but he sometimes gets too rigid in his idea of what a line has to look like, one mucker/one goal scorer/one setup man. If Mikeyhev makes the top two lines, I think his predominate role will be to get the puck to Matthews/Nylander, Tavares/Marner, much like Hyman does. I hope Babcock let's that line grow organically and not try to control the style of the line too much.

Right Wing
Marner
Nylander
Kapanen
Moore
Bracco

Left wing
Hyman
Johnsson
Kerfoot
Agostino
Wilson

If I'm a scoring winger and I'm trying to make the Leafs, the left side looks a hellof a lot weaker and my options for a centerman look a heckof a lot more appealing on the first two lines. Play with Tavaes/Matthews or play with Spezza/Gauthier/Shore/Kossila?

Many old time Russian teams had ALL or almost all left hand shots

Reactions: Bluelines

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Many old time Russian teams had ALL or almost all left hand shots
Its also partially caused by big-ice and style of play. A big worry with guys playing their off-wing is their ability to exit the zone and pass of their back-hand, and obviously turnovers at the blue-line lead to high-danger chances against. On big-ice the Euro's tend to concede zone-exits and entrances much less, making this less of a worry.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

Positive:
-He has silky hands.
-He battles
-He is fit
-He has amazing edges
-He has a high hockey IQ

Negative:
-Cheats at the blue line

He is Panarin lite. Problem is, he is a RW. So he will get third line minutes to start. An injury to any forward and he will play up and never look back. If his talents are the same as Nylander, (which they are and then some), he is a better player because he does not cowar in corners and tries not to get hit like Willy. He is not Hyman in that regard, but more like Kapanen on the forecheck. Steals pucks upon pucks every game.

Thanks for the work done here. Good to know. My thing is I don't think Babs or anyone with Leafs should anointing him before he has gone to 1 NHL camp. It leads me to believe, like Marleau, that this was somehow a Babs recruit. I think Babs should stay away from picking players for the team. Focus on coaching. I hope the best for the kid but I don't think you should be anointed before you have even arrived.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad