Prospect Info: Babcock: Mikheyev (LW) is going to be a big part of our team (next year) RE-VOTE his Center

Who will be Mikheyev's center next year?

• Total voters

Metroid

Слава Україні!!
Sep 6, 2006
Hellmouth
so sorry etobicoke then ;)

growing up in scarborough and durham everything west of yonge is all the same to me lol
It's all good Im a mississaugian, but spent lots of time down in the sherway/browns line/horner area as a kid. Def close enough to 'sauga

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Babs new pet rock. Another Babs induced signed player. I hope he is not another Marleau and Z. Babs has a poor track record in recruiting. Remember folks he is same guy who wanted Hanifin instead of Marner.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Babs new pet rock. Another Babs induced signed player. I hope he is not another Marleau and Z. Babs has a poor track record in recruiting. Remember folks he is same guy who wanted Hanifin instead of Marner.
He's totally jumping the queue for ice-time regardless of how effective he'll be.

Par Lindholm was getting way too much TOI for being such a bad player for the first 2 months of last season (I'm too lazy to look up the exact numbers, but I specifically remember him getting 14-15 minutes per game on a regular basis and even topping as high as 16-18 on some nights). His TOI did eventually get cut back, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess management stepped in and told Babcock that Par Lindholm sucks ass and to stop playing him so god damn much.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
He's totally jumping the queue for ice-time regardless of how effective he'll be.

Par Lindholm was getting way too much TOI for being such a bad player for the first 2 months of last season (I'm too lazy to look up the exact numbers, but I specifically remember him getting 14-15 minutes per game on a regular basis and even topping as high as 16-18 on some nights). His TOI did eventually get cut back, but I'm gonna go ahead and guess management stepped in and told Babcock that Par Lindholm sucks ass and to stop playing him so god damn much.

Dubas brings guys in or keeps - Leivo, Petan, Holl and babcock let's them sit on the bench
Any player babcock has a hand in landing - Marleau, Lindholm, Oz (I could be wrong on him), Zaitsev, Mik, Hainsey guaranteed to play

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Dubas brings guys in or keeps - Leivo, Petan, Holl and babcock let's them sit on the bench
Any player babcock has a hand in landing - Marleau, Lindholm, Oz (I could be wrong on him), Zaitsev, Mik, Hainsey guaranteed to play

You know what I said f*** it, Babcock's ignorance fascinates me so much I just had to look up the TOI.

First 2 months of the season - Babcock's new recruit Par Lindholm - averaged 13:56 TOI through the first 2 months of the season (27 games)!!!

He was ahead of all of: Johnsson (LOL), Ennis, Leivo, and Gauthier. Like how the f*** does this even happen? You can even take out Lindholm's SH TOI and he STILL played more minutes than those guys.

NHL.com - Stats

That TOI picture in general for the first 2 months of the season is just a complete f***ing mess. Hyman and Marleau averaged more TOI than Matthews (who only averaged 21 more seconds a game than Kadri).

Funny enough, after December 1st - Lindholm's TOI started to drop significantly and the whole TOI picture started leaning towards star players receiving more TOI. I have no doubt in my mind that management told Babcock his player deployment needs to change because it's utterly absurd.

ShaneFalco

Jul 15, 2012
London, On
You know what I said **** it, Babcock's ignorance fascinates me so much I just had to look up the TOI.

First 2 months of the season - Babcock's new recruit Par Lindholm - averaged 13:56 TOI through the first 2 months of the season (27 games)!!!

He was ahead of all of: Johnsson (LOL), Ennis, Leivo, and Gauthier. Like how the **** does this even happen? You can even take out Lindholm's SH TOI and he STILL played more minutes than those guys.

NHL.com - Stats

That TOI picture in general for the first 2 months of the season is just a complete ****ing mess. Hyman and Marleau averaged more TOI than Matthews (who only averaged 21 more seconds a game than Kadri).

Funny enough, after December 1st - Lindholm's TOI started to drop significantly and the whole TOI picture started leaning towards star players receiving more TOI. I have no doubt in my mind that management told Babcock his player deployment needs to change because it's utterly absurd.

It seems to take him a long time to make any adjustments - especially with a player who has good pro status

Reactions: IPS

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
The funny part is Babcock thinks only players with talent need to earn ice time.

declaring this guy is going to be a big part of the team before seeing him skate a single NHL shift is ridiculous.

The guy was literally taking TOI away from a vastly superior player in Andreas Johnsson and giving it to his new favorite Par Lindholm to try and prop up his new recruit. If you're a Babcock boy, you get to instantly jump the queue regardless of how much you suck.

Accountability my f***ing ass.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I forgot about Lindholm oh yeah he was another recruiting nightmare. But Babs ego knows no boundaries. Petan and Holl are likely ****** with Leafs with babs in charge. Petan could completely outplay this Russian in camp and it will mean nothing. It really ticks me off. He's got his mind set on the Russian with Matty and then forcing it on everyone else. When I hear Babs say everyone needs to earn their ice it makes me puke in my mouth.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
The funny part is Babcock thinks only players with talent need to earn ice time.

declaring this guy is going to be a big part of the team before seeing him skate a single NHL shift is ridiculous.
This is exactly how I feel too. How do you think the boys in the room feel? Babs boys come in and get preferred treatment. What do you think AJ is thinking now? He must be p*ssed. Well I know i would be p*ssed. and babs says well I'm looking for 3 scoring line threats. So you play with Kappy and new centre guy and we will have 3 lines capable of putting puck in the net. I heard all this from my friends in Detroit about how he does things. It is Babs way or the highway.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I forgot about Lindholm oh yeah he was another recruiting nightmare. But Babs ego knows no boundaries. Petan and Holl are likely ****** with Leafs with babs in charge. Petan could completely outplay this Russian in camp and it will mean nothing. It really ticks me off. He's got his mind set on the Russian with Matty and then forcing it on everyone else. When I hear Babs say everyone needs to earn their ice it makes me puke in my mouth.

Neither Petan nor Mikheyev are bonafide NHLers at this point.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
I think if it comes down to who is better in camp between Mikheyev and Petan, you want to see Mikheyev get a chance. He was a relatively sought after udfa, we probably had to give him some assurances of opportunity to get him to sign and for the sake of future signings you wouldn't want our management getting the reputation of not living up to their pre-signing commitments, and it's not like you're sacrificing much to let him have a chance - Petan has had more than 100 NHL games without making much of an NHL impact, his upside is likely a 4th line or 13th forward at this point. Mikheyev's range of outcomes includes much better results than what Petan is, so you might as well see what you have even if he ends up not being better than Petan - you might be a smidge worse for 20-30 games in the fall, that shouldn't keep the team out of the playoffs, and there's a good chance that Mikheyev will be worth of a Hyman-esque NHL role which would make the team better than if Petan gets that chance

I don't agree with Babcock's weird endowing of roles to guys either, but this one is a pretty minor gamble imo

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
unless he is mcjesus or matty he should never have been annointed before he steps on ice in an NHL camp
in udfa situations like this where a guy has lots of options, there's a good chance that those commitments were made to get him to sign as well. Making him earn time on the ice would probably mean that he would sign elsewhere in the first place, and you see how vocal agents are in the media when they feel their client has been wronged so you really have to honour those commitments if you're making them to have a shot at the next udfa

Last edited:

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
in udfa situations like this where a guy has lots of options, there's a good chance that those commitments were made to get him to sign as well. Making him earn time on the ice would probably mean that he would sign elsewhere in the first place, and you see how vocal agents are in the media when they feel their client has been wronged so you really have to honour those commitments if you're making them to have a shot at the next udfa
well i get ur point but I'm old school when it comes to earning ur ice. there should never be 2 sets of rules in a hockey dressing room. it kills the room. it causes cancer.

Reactions: IPS

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
well i get ur point but I'm old school when it comes to earning ur ice. there should never be 2 sets of rules in a hockey dressing room. it kills the room. it causes cancer.
Oh I agree, Babcock talks out of both sides of his mouth and it's frustrating. I think this one might actually have been Dubas' decision and Babcock is just putting his stamp on it, they both know that they need to give him some opportunity to honour the signing commitments (if that is in fact what happened, I think it's likely).

try to see the bright side on this one - if he turns into something good, he will have earned his opportunity in the long run even if he got some leash that he didn't earn at the start. If he doesn't turn into something good, he'll be in an appropriate role by Christmas and probably not on the team next year - low risk, decent reward

I think the Babcock thing is more frustrating with guys that have no leverage to ask for that opportunity - Hyman, Polak, etc

I will also say that I like Mikheyev's video much more than I did with Zaitsev, Ozhiganov or Hyman before they started with us, and I think all of those guys are good NHL players (including Oz who I think we'd love to get back right now). I think there's a real chance that this guy becomes something good

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
Having said that, I certainly hope Mikheyev is at least an effective 9-12th forward.

It won't exactly be devastating or anything if he's another Euro league scrub...but I'm getting tired of these guys never panning out. Said it before but we flat out need better scouting results over there, pro and otherwise. I don't understand how we watch Ozighanov all year long, love the guy, and sign him. From watching him in the show last season, I don't understand how they ever thought he could play in the NHL? Especially on a high-skill roster that relies on speed and quick transitions to succeed.

anyway I'm not asking for Panarin here...but a guy who can do more than hang on to an NHL job for a year by his fingernails would be nice.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Having said that, I certainly hope Mikheyev is at least an effective 9-12th forward.

It won't exactly be devastating or anything if he's another Euro league scrub...but I'm getting tired of these guys never panning out. Said it before but we flat out need better scouting results over there, pro and otherwise. I don't understand how we watch Ozighanov all year long, love the guy, and sign him. From watching him in the show last season, I don't understand how they ever thought he could play in the NHL? Especially on a high-skill roster that relies on speed and quick transitions to succeed.

anyway I'm not asking for Panarin here...but a guy who can do more than hang on to an NHL job for a year by his fingernails would be nice.
is there anything that paints Ozhiganov as less than an NHL player other than your eye test though? Every measurable that I've seen says he was well above a replacement level NHL'er - possession & relatives, GAR, WOWY's, etc. The only qualifier for those is that he played almost exclusively with Dermott, who's really good

I think it's tough to look at the Leafs' UDFA history and be disappointed unless you're expecting a Panarin with every signing

Morbo

The Annihilator
Jan 14, 2003
Toronto
is there anything that paints Ozhiganov as less than an NHL player other than your eye test though? Every measurable that I've seen says he was well above a replacement level NHL'er - possession & relatives, GAR, WOWY's, etc. The only qualifier for those is that he played almost exclusively with Dermott, who's really good

Is this a serious question?

even if we go by wowys and gars, instead of watching him blow coverages and handle the puck like a grenade on the ice, why isn't Ozighanov front and centre for a spot this fall? Because our GM, who is certainly in tune with such measures and uses them, doesn't seem to be too interested that I've seen or heard about. strange, no?

I think it's tough to look at the Leafs' UDFA history and be disappointed unless you're expecting a Panarin with every signing

?

I literally said I was not expecting a Panarin in this case.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton
Is this a serious question?

even if we go by wowys and gars, instead of watching him blow coverages and handle the puck like a grenade on the ice, why isn't Ozighanov front and centre for a spot this fall? Because our GM, who is certainly in tune with such measures and uses them, doesn't seem to be too interested that I've seen or heard about. strange, no?

?

I literally said I was not expecting a Panarin in this case.
so that's all eye test then? I also had a very different eye test evaluation, but removing that there's really nothing that says Ozhiganov was less than a very good bottom pairing defenseman (unless you want to provide that)

Oz was signed to a KHL contract before the Zaitsev trade came to pass, so he was not available by the time we had room

if you want to see some blown coverage and pucks being handled like grenades, wait until you see Ceci

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009

This comment has me triggered.

Not against you.

Brings back bad memories

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad