B. Schenn

King Forsberg

16 21 28 44 68 88 93
Jul 26, 2010
Schenn has startled to look like the player he was drafted to be. Very excited for his future.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Schenn has startled to look like the player he was drafted to be. Very excited for his future.

Yeah I was talking to my buddy about this yesterday. He is still unimpressed. Because of the hype surrounding him when they got him ("best player not currently in the NHL"), he expects him to be a guy that will take over games like a Crosby or Ovechkin. I don't think that is the direction Schenn is heading, or ever really was claimed to be heading. I think he is more of a two-way forward who will hover around the 65-75 point range. I would be more than happy if that were the case, my buddy seems to think that would be a disappointment.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
I have said we need to be patient with Schenn from day one of the season. He plays a more physical game and it always seems like players who have an edge to their game develop a little later. He is coming along very nicely after a poor start to the season. He still turns the puck over sometimes, but it's expected from a young player. Only time will tell but I think we could one day see a 80 point season from him.

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
Yeah I was talking to my buddy about this yesterday. He is still unimpressed. Because of the hype surrounding him when they got him ("best player not currently in the NHL"), he expects him to be a guy that will take over games like a Crosby or Ovechkin. I don't think that is the direction Schenn is heading, or ever really was claimed to be heading. I think he is more of a two-way forward who will hover around the 65-75 point range. I would be more than happy if that were the case, my buddy seems to think that would be a disappointment.

Mike Richards had a lot of value when we traded him but teams don't trade potential Crosbys/Ovechkins for guys like Richards.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002

He did last year in the playoffs too. He was trying this year, just not putting up the points. Leave him at centre, he makes whoever he is playing with better.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
Brayden Schenn = Mike Richards with way better work and training ethics

PayItForward

Aug 18, 2012

Talk about setting yourself up for disappointment. Schenn has never had that ceiling. I don't know if he'll ever be a top 10 center, let alone a top 5 player in the NHL in his prime. He was over-hyped as a prospect, that's for sure.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Mike Richards had a lot of value when we traded him but teams don't trade potential Crosbys/Ovechkins for guys like Richards.

Oh I agree, I am just saying that my buddy was expecting more from Schenn because he was called the best prospect and such.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010

I thinks a lot of fans confuse good/great players with super stars. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are good/great players, but not on the level of Crosby and Malkin. I think that confuses and frustrates some fans when their production does mirror those players, especially casual ones who only watch the Flyers and not the rest of the league regularly. I think the Flyers perpetuate this a bit by overselling its own players. Brayden Schenn was a top prospect, but was projected to be an elite 2nd line center or above average 1st line center, which is great but no superstar.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I thinks a lot of fans confuse good/great players with super stars. Mike Richards and Jeff Carter are good/great players, but not on the level of Crosby and Malkin. I think that confuses and frustrates some fans when their production does mirror those players, especially casual ones who only watch the Flyers and not the rest of the league regularly. I think the Flyers perpetuate this a bit by overselling its own players. Brayden Schenn was a top prospect, but was projected to be an elite 2nd line center or above average 1st line center, which is great but no superstar.

Agreed...I've made the a similar assertion. When the organization overrates their players like that it's a disservice to both the fans and the actual players. Schenn is not going to be elite but he will be very good like Richards and Carter were for most of their time here..

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

I never liked that title. It makes people think he's going to be a dominant force, but if that were the case...he'd probably be in the NHL. In reality it meant "Chief among those not good enough yet."

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
When Hartnell comes back it'll help things a bit. It will force someone like Read maybe down to play with Couturier. I'd like to see

Hartnell-G-Vora
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
McGinn-Couturier-Read
Fed-Talbot-Rinaldo

But i'm fully expecting McGinn to get sent back down.

I like the balance of this line-up, even with Read on the '3rd' line. He might encourage better offensve from Couturier. As well, with Sestitov in the wings to bring his natural goal-scorer flair where needed, the return of Hartnell means that Knuble's minutes will be restricted, which by all appearances will be a good thing. And Jody Shelley will be an afterthought and a punch line (so to speak), as it should be.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I never liked that title. It makes people think he's going to be a dominant force, but if that were the case...he'd probably be in the NHL. In reality it meant "Chief among those not good enough yet."

Yeah, there could be some better wording out there. I don't know why they don't just call him the highest rated prospect in an NHL organization. That doesn't have the same hype to me as best player not playing in the NHL.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
When Hartnell comes back it'll help things a bit. It will force someone like Read maybe down to play with Couturier. I'd like to see

Hartnell-G-Vora
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
McGinn-Couturier-Read
Fed-Talbot-Rinaldo

But i'm fully expecting McGinn to get sent back down.

If the Read, G and Voracek line is still going well, I would like to see Hartnell down with Couts. Hartnell seems to make lines produce. Would be nice to see him create some room for Couts. Maybe a Hartnell, Couts, Knuble line

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
Schenn appeared to have missed a wide open net on the PP in the 1st period of the Islanders game. But overall Schenn is one of the few present forwards that does not mind getting dirty goals sitting in front of the crease. Which right now I think is one of the biggest problems with the team with Hartnell out. Too many finesse passers, and no one to open up the ice. McGinn looks like he has that potential sometimes. Going forward with Laughton and Cousins a few years away, the Flyers will have a logjam at Centre. hopefully someone will step up their game at wing. Schenn appeared to struggle alot at wing unfortunately. And Couts might be too slow and too small of frame to take punishment on a top line at wing right now.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
If the Read, G and Voracek line is still going well, I would like to see Hartnell down with Couts. Hartnell seems to make lines produce. Would be nice to see him create some room for Couts. Maybe a Hartnell, Couts, Knuble line

That line would be a monstrously big line. If anyone can give Couturier room it would be Hartnell and Knuble together.

Unfortunately it would probably be kind of slow as well.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA

You think people would learn not to get too excited about that phrase based on the career of former "best player not in the NHL" Jiri Dopita.

chimrichalds18

the key
Apr 17, 2007
philadelphia
Agreed. I was not really sold on him for the first half of last season, but the guy is legit. I wonder what he will be asking for? $3 million range?

I think Read is going to be looking for a payday a la Umberger. He's going to be 28...it's going to be his career contract. I actually think the Flyers should do what they can (within reason) to sign Read, but I personally don't see how they're going to get through the 2014 summer without buying out Briere. There are just too many other guys they're going to have to sign and it makes little sense to keep around a guy who's already on his way out.

RJ8812*

no way

You stick him with Briere to see if Hartnell can help him get his game back

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I think Read is going to be looking for a payday a la Umberger. He's going to be 28...it's going to be his career contract. I actually think the Flyers should do what they can (within reason) to sign Read, but I personally don't see how they're going to get through the 2014 summer without buying out Briere. There are just too many other guys they're going to have to sign and it makes little sense to keep around a guy who's already on his way out.

2014:
Giroux - RFA
BSchenn - RFA
Couturier - RFA
McGinn - RFA
Read - UFA
Timonen - UFA
Meszaros - UFA

Hartnell (4.20) - [Giroux] - Voracek (4.25)
Simmonds (3.98) - [Schenn] - Briere (6.50)
Laughton/McGinn (1.00~) - [Couturier] - [Read]
Rinaldo (0.80~) - Talbot (1.75) - Zolnierczyk/Wellwood/Sestito (0.80~)
xxxxxxxxxxxx

Coburn (4.50) - Grossmann (3.50)
Schenn (3.60) - Gustafsson (1.30~)
xxxxxxxxxx - xxxxxxxxxx

Bryzgalov (5.67)
xxxxxxxxxxx

CAP: 64.30
SPENT: 41.85
SPACE: 22.45 to re-sign Giroux (6.50~), Schenn (3.00~), Couturier (3.00~), Read (4.25~), for a total of (16.75) leaving (05.70) for three defenseman, an emergency forward, and a backup goaltender if you don't amnesty Briere and the cap doesn't go up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad