B. Schenn

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
This might sound weird, but Brayden Schenn is like Evan Turner.

-high pick
-high expectations
-accomplished players at lower levels
-good at a lot of things, great at none
-show flashes of turning the corner
-not in a starring role
-has trouble finishing

I thought yesterday was one of his better games. He controlled the puck a good bit, but nothing to show for it.

Dude it even looks weird when you put it in words. Brayden will be fine. What is he 30 ,32?:laugh: Relax people these kids will be fine.

PayItForward

Aug 18, 2012
thats true but if he were on a team like the jets he would most likely be getting more ice time then he is right now. players need ice time to work through their issues. i'm not saying you play him and just hope for wins cause he's not getting it done but there has to be a medium. i remember voracek was at his absolute best last year when g was out with a concussion and he's was getting ~20 maybe more minutes a night. he was far and away our best player during that stretch. i understand he earned the ice time with his play even when g was in the lineup and it's not as simple as increase ice time gets you better play i'm just saying that i think it would be beneficial for him.

also not being paired with a struggling jake (who has played much better recently) and sestito/rinaldo would also help him out.

Possibly, but the Flyers had Hartnell and Simmonds out and Schenn still didn't get those minutes. Looks better today, but I don't think he's not getting the minutes because he's on this incredibly deep team. If he was on a team like Boston he'd probably be sitting in the press box. Knuble was getting more minutes than him at one point. The only thing being on the Flyers may do is stop him from playing center (especially getting minutes at center).

Anyway, I think Schenn will be a good NHL player. He's one of my favorite Flyers but he's always been over-hyped and overrated as a prospect. Truth be told though, I don't think he's played that much worse than Couturier (or Giroux for that matter, but that's a whole other story). Not worried about him though. Outside of Read and maybe 1 or 2 others, no forward has been that impressive so far.

Last edited:

BobbyClarkeFan16

Nov 29, 2005
Goderich, Ontario
Schenn is getting hot at the right time, especially with Giroux mired in a funk (I think he's playing hurt and not saying anything because of the captaincy). In terms of upside, I think Schenn is a slightly less physical version of Rod Brind'Amour. That would be absolute high end.

Clown Baby*

Schenn is getting hot at the right time, especially with Giroux mired in a funk (I think he's playing hurt and not saying anything because of the captaincy). In terms of upside, I think Schenn is a slightly less physical version of Rod Brind'Amour. That would be absolute high end.
Much more physical, about the same defensively (early in Rod's career), but not quite as good as a playmaker. Just my opinion though. I also think Rod did steroids, so... there's that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Yeah, I'm not sure if Schenn will ever be that proficient at faceoffs. Couturier might be though.

They will both be 50% minimum unless they are serious outliers, due to average centres faceoff increase stats... over the first 4-5 years of career average 40+ point centres increase by 6-8%... with even the worst 'progressors' increasing by at least 2-3%, and the best close to 12%.

I agree on Couts, in juniors he was absolutely beastly. I think Schenn will be 50-52% and Couts 52-55%.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Kid had a great game today. He's still really freaking young and is developing. Today showed his potential.

Brayden always skates hard and hits, today he showed great hands on the tip and better hands on the pass. He's got a great combo of skill and grit.

He's scoring points and making his presence felt.

And Luke, well, he is a force again. With him and Grossmann back there, other teams are paying a huge price for daring to come in our end. They hammered the Staals today.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Yeah, I'm not sure if Schenn will ever be that proficient at faceoffs. Couturier might be though.

I don't know, I think Schenn has just as much faceoff potential as Couturier. It will probably take longer for him to realize it than Couturier, but I can see him becoming a good physical faceoff guy.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia
These guys can become as good as they want in faceoffs. Look at Crosby, we hate him, but does the guy work his ass off regarding every little detail of the game. He worked on his faceoffs to become what he is now in the dot. Couts and Schenn can practice draws as much as they want, just like how Giroux became good at them. Just keep working at them, and you will start to see your numbers increase.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
They have Clarke as a resource. There's no excuse not to use him.

Definitely. Also, they will get stronger, which will help. Cooter has a high hockey IQ. People should really watch the decisions he makes all game. Sometimes they got unnoticed because they are not in the least bit flashy. Besides Kimmo and Coburn he is the best defender. Did you see that faceoff he won the other day against a vet by switching sides he put his stick down? The ref showed the drop but then backed off. Cooter switched sides to fool the other guy and completely tied up his stick and won the draw clean as a whistle.

Embiid

Off IR for now
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
I remember somebody saying that playing with your brother on the same team can be a benefit or a detriment. Wondering if in B Schenn's case the latter isn't true? He's picked it up a bit and he is one of the leading hitters along with his bro but man his offensive prowess is almost Nodl like this year compared to last and last year he was mostly injured....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad