B. Schenn

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
If Mesz can prove he can stay healthy in the last year of his contract I will have no problem signing him in the 2.00-3.00m range. When he's healthy he's easily worth the 4.00m, so if he can prove the ability to stay healthy I'm easily talking to him about staying on as a depth defenseman. If he doesn't take it, then oh well. Good luck to him.

I agree on the amnesty Briere thing at this point. It's the only thing that really makes sense.

Hartnell - Giroux - Read
Simmonds - Schenn - McGinn
Laughton - Couturier - Voracek
Rinaldo - Talbot - (Cousins)

Coburn - Grossmann
Schenn - Gustafsson
(Meszaros) - (Gostisbehere)

Bryzgalov

I could live with that lineup, but we still need to find a #1 defenseman.

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
forget, jake, this team is always passing which is my biggest problem with this team, that's why they cant beat the devils or good trap teams, they are always being fancy with the puck, you are telling me that's the way to win?
Yes, the best thing to do against the Devils is dump and chase so the Flyers can just let Brodeur burn them with his puck-handling skills.

Wonderful plan.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
If Mesz can prove he can stay healthy in the last year of his contract I will have no problem signing him in the 2.00-3.00m range. When he's healthy he's easily worth the 4.00m, so if he can prove the ability to stay healthy I'm easily talking to him about staying on as a depth defenseman. If he doesn't take it, then oh well. Good luck to him.

I agree on the amnesty Briere thing at this point. It's the only thing that really makes sense.

Hartnell - Giroux - Read

Coburn - Grossmann
Schenn - Gustafsson

Bryzgalov

I like that forward group, but I would switch McGinn and Voracek. If you're leaving Couturier with Laughton then that line becomes more of a defensive unit. Putting Voracek on the other wing limits his potential to be an impact offensive player, which I think he can be. McGinn might be better suited to play in that role with the other two.

That D though... yikes. We need a number one terribly moving forward.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I like that forward group, but I would switch McGinn and Voracek. If you're leaving Couturier with Laughton then that line becomes more of a defensive unit. Putting Voracek on the other wing limits his potential to be an impact offensive player, which I think he can be. McGinn might be better suited to play in that role with the other two.

That D though... yikes. We need a number one terribly moving forward.

Well...now that we've signed Timonen, I doubt we're going hard after a number #1 this offseason; not that there's a whole lot of options.

The following offseason though (the one we're currently discussing), there is a healthy list currently:

Bouwmeester
Boyle
Phaneuf
(Timonen)
Markov
Pitkanen
Komisarek
Kaberle
Gilbert
(Meszaros)
Kuba
Quincy
Orpik
Salo
Mitchell
Hjalmarsson
Letang
N. Schultz
Tallinder
Girardi
Robidas
Ericsson
Seidenberg
Phillips
Klesla

...followed by a parade of third pairing guys...

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I have my doubts about that.

No, that's certain. It's dropping to 64.3 next year.

forget, jake, this team is always passing which is my biggest problem with this team, that's why they cant beat the devils or good trap teams, they are always being fancy with the puck, you are telling me that's the way to win?

Going back to last season, shots for/against while playing the Devils is 213-214. We are matching them in shots. That's not the issue. There's more to hockey than just hurling everything on net. Shot quality matters, and passing improves shot quality.

I agree that this team needs to get more shots on net. However, sitting Voracek does nothing to help that...if anything, it would have the opposite effect. Voracek creates shooting opportunities for others. Sitting Voracek, who is also 4th on the team in shots (in addition to creating chances), doesn't help the team shoot more. Especially if he's being sat for Knuble, who has 1.38 shots per game compared to Voracek's 2.29 shots per game.

Edit: If you ignore Voracek's absolutely terrible start to the season, his recent shooting rate is higher. That stat is dragged down by his heinous first 2-3 weeks.

Last edited:

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Well...now that we've signed Timonen, I doubt we're going hard after a number #1 this offseason; not that there's a whole lot of options.

The following offseason though (the one we're currently discussing), there is a healthy list currently:

Bouwmeester
Boyle
Phaneuf
(Timonen)
Markov
Pitkanen
Komisarek
Kaberle
Gilbert
(Meszaros)
Kuba
Quincy
Orpik
Salo
Mitchell
Hjalmarsson
Letang
N. Schultz
Tallinder
Girardi
Robidas
Ericsson
Seidenberg
Phillips
Klesla

...followed by a parade of third pairing guys...

Do you think its possible Pitt actually lets Letang go? The only way I could see it happening is if they get a real winger to go along with Crosby and don't have the cap space to resign him. I doubt it gets to that though, their defense is horrid without him.

Markov on the other hand I may be interested if he can prove he can be healthy for 2 straight seasons

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Do you think its possible Pitt actually lets Letang go? The only way I could see it happening is if they get a real winger to go along with Crosby and don't have the cap space to resign him. I doubt it gets to that though, their defense is horrid without him.

Markov on the other hand I may be interested if he can prove he can be healthy for 2 straight seasons

I think right now, the players I have the biggest interest in are Letang (obviously but doubt he makes it to FA), Bouwmeester, Hjalmarsson, and Phaneuf.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I seriously doubt the Flyers solve their issue for a #1 dman through free agency. Most likely it will come through trade.

What legitimate expendable assets do we have?

Laughton -
Cousins -
Gustafsson -
Gostisbehere -
McGinn -
1st Round 2013 -
1st Round 2014 -
2nd Round 2013 -
2nd Round 2014 -

Maybe if the Caps do implode we can ask about Green, Alzner, or Carlson.

Prongo

Beer
Jun 5, 2008
philadelphia

Laughton -
Cousins -
Gustafsson -
Gostisbehere -
McGinn -
1st Round 2013 -
1st Round 2014 -
2nd Round 2013 -
2nd Round 2014 -

Voracek and Read also probably. I think if the right deal for a defender comes along, Homer will pull the trigger. We can not go long with out one.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train

Laughton -
Cousins -
Gustafsson -
Gostisbehere -
McGinn -
1st Round 2013 -
1st Round 2014 -
2nd Round 2013 -
2nd Round 2014 -

I was going to suggest looking at the Caps. They need centers. I doubt they'd part with Green; as injury prone as he is, he's their best defenseman. Carlson has been struggling this year; outside of the playoffs last year, I've never paid any close attention to him so I can't speak with any authority on his availability or potential.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
I was going to suggest looking at the Caps. They need centers. I doubt they'd part with Green; as injury prone as he is, he's their best defenseman. Carlson has been struggling this year; outside of the playoffs last year, I've never paid any close attention to him so I can't speak with any authority on his availability or potential.

Honestly,

Coburn - Grossmann
Schenn - Carlson/Green
VET - Gustafsson

would actually be a pretty strong defense; particularly if we have Giroux --> Schenn --> Couturier down the middle as defensively well-rounded centers.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Laughton -
Cousins -
Gustafsson -
Gostisbehere -
McGinn -
1st Round 2013 -
1st Round 2014 -
2nd Round 2013 -
2nd Round 2014 -

Alzner isn't what the Flyers need. He won't fill the role of that puck mover that we need to replace Timonen eventually. Carlson's trade value is at its lowest point right now. I think they hold out and see if he can turn it around to the player that he was looking like when he first came into the league. Green is their most talented defenseman and a guy that they've put a lot of time into dealing with his injuries and defensive deficiencies. I highly doubt they move him now that he's seemed to put it all together.

If the Flyers want a number one, they'll have to do it through the draft like most of the league does. In the meantime they'll probably have to find a stop gap guy like Bouwmeester to be the guy until a prospect develops into that role.

CS

Bryzgalov's Blueline
May 27, 2009
Philadelphia, PA
Alzner isn't what the Flyers need. He won't fill the role of that puck mover that we need to replace Timonen eventually. Carlson's trade value is at its lowest point right now. I think they hold out and see if he can turn it around to the player that he was looking like when he first came into the league. Green is their most talented defenseman and a guy that they've put a lot of time into dealing with his injuries and defensive deficiencies. I highly doubt they move him now that he's seemed to put it all together.

If the Flyers want a number one, they'll have to do it through the draft like most of the league does. In the meantime they'll probably have to find a stop gap guy like Bouwmeester to be the guy until a prospect develops into that role.

This year is a good year to go after defensemen, but we're not going to get another swing at another Dougie Hamilton. Best we can hope for really is a Luca Sbisa, particularly if we're looking for a quick impact.

We might be better off continuing to draft forwards that we can use as trade bait for defenseman. Then we watch Gostisbehere with hopeful eyes.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
No, that's certain. It's dropping to 64.3 next year.

Talking about two yrs from now. I doubt it goes down again

Devils don't play the trap...so there's that.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
Ah yes, it will go up. I think it's set to go up slower than it did before, though. I also think the cap can't ever drop below 64.3 million?

Oops Kevin Allen didn't expand on that. But yeh without going back into the CBA the cap can't drop below 64.3 million for the 2013/2014 year.

Edit: http://cdn.agilitycms.com/nhlpacom/PDF/Summary-of-Terms-1-10-13.pdf
Scroll down right before point 7 in the summary
Notwithstanding the foregoing, the Upper Limit shall never fall below $64.3M during the term of this Agreement and the magnitude of the Payroll Range shall never fall below $16 million and never rise above $28 million (from Lower Limit to Upper Limit).

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ

This seems to be a common misconception around here...that top defenders are developed, not traded for/signed. While it is more cost-effective to develop your own #1, a lot of the top defenders in the league have been signed as UFAs or traded for. There are lot of young defensemen out there with #1 POTENTIAL, but that doesn't mean they will ever develop into that or that they will stay with their current team.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007

Hartnell - Giroux - Read

Coburn - Grossmann
Schenn - Gustafsson

Bryzgalov

please no Mez. he's been a nightmare so far. this summer, sign Perry, then package Voracek (who's value may never be higher than it is right now) + Meszaros for a top Dman.

2013-14 Flyers.

Hartnell/Giroux/Perry
Read/Schenn/Simmonds
Laughton/Couturier/Talbot
Rinaldo/Cousins/Sesitito

Timonen/Schenn
Coburn/{new Dman}
Gustafsson/Grossmann

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This seems to be a common misconception around here...that top defenders are developed, not traded for/signed. While it is more cost-effective to develop your own #1, a lot of the top defenders in the league have been signed as UFAs or traded for. There are lot of young defensemen out there with #1 POTENTIAL, but that doesn't mean they will ever develop into that or that they will stay with their current team.

That kind of thing is on the decrease in the Cap era...and when those guys do become available, they get pursued by a lot of teams. It's not a sure-fire way to obtain them, and generally by that point they're getting a big cap hit that will last into their decline years...something this team has in abundance, and we are being treated to its effects this season. Relying solely on FA is a bad way to get those guys, especially since you're paying a premium. Being at least partially capable of drafting your own Dmen is more cost effective and provides a safety net if the team doesn't manage to hit a home run every 5-6 years when they need a new #1 FA, because the last #1 FA is aging.

Buying and trading for those guys is certainly possible, but making it the only option is a bad way to go about it.

Last edited:

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

Suter, B. Campbell, and Chara are about the only ones that I can think of. Chara wasn't who he is today and Ottawa made a choice between him or Redden. Campbell isn't a top flight number one, so he doesn't really fit. Ryan Suter is about the only big name free agent, but Nashville did everything in their power to keep him. It is incredibly difficult to get a number defenseman outside of drafting and developing your own.

Timonen would fit I guess, but don't forget that Nashville also had Weber, Suter, and Hamhuis already in the system.

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
Suter, B. Campbell, and Chara are about the only ones that I can think of. Chara wasn't who he is today and Ottawa made a choice between him or Redden. Campbell isn't a top flight number one, so he doesn't really fit. Ryan Suter is about the only big name free agent, but Nashville did everything in their power to keep him. It is incredibly difficult to get a number defenseman outside of drafting and developing your own.

Timonen would fit I guess, but don't forget that Nashville also had Weber, Suter, and Hamhuis already in the system.

Scott Niedermayer too.

laundryman

Jun 28, 2011
I love that Schenn and Voracek are developing chemistry. It's risky to have 2 young players' development kinda depend on one another, but if they can become a great combination for the future it could be a tremendous 2nd line. There was the idea of sticking either of them on Giroux's wing for the future, but they work so well together that you'd be hard pressed to split them up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad