B. Schenn

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
Thought he was one of the better forwards last night. Unfortunately, that doesn't say too much.

He's been pretty hot lately, too.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I remember somebody saying that playing with your brother on the same team can be a benefit or a detriment. Wondering if in B Schenn's case the latter isn't true? He's picked it up a bit and he is one of the leading hitters along with his bro but man his offensive prowess is almost Nodl like this year compared to last and last year he was mostly injured....

If he doesn't have the puck on the stick he looks a step behind the play quite often. Too much chasing the puck around.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
If he doesn't have the puck on the stick he looks a step behind the play quite often. Too much chasing the puck around.

Which is why I think he should be playing his natural position from here on out. Kinda sucks cause of the log jam we have/will have going forward but who knows maybe someone gets moved or G goes to wing again (doubt it especially with his FO numbers this year)

FlyingHigh28*

Which is why I think he should be playing his natural position from here on out. Kinda sucks cause of the log jam we have/will have going forward but who knows maybe someone gets moved or G goes to wing again (doubt it especially with his FO numbers this year)

I wouldn't think faceoffs would be a reason to not move G to wing (if his offense is stronger or as strong there and it opens up a spot for a guy who only thrives as a center (like Schenn). G could always take all the draws on his line and then simply move to wing for the rest of the play. It's been done before and indeed ends up happening a ton when guys get thrown out of draws. It's not a big deal.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
I wouldn't think faceoffs would be a reason to not move G to wing (if his offense is stronger or as strong there and it opens up a spot for a guy who only thrives as a center (like Schenn). G could always take all the draws on his line and then simply move to wing for the rest of the play. It's been done before and indeed ends up happening a ton when guys get thrown out of draws. It's not a big deal.

very true, i wouldn't be surprised to see this in the next couple yrs. i know lots of people had Couturier as a potential #1 C w/ G on his wing and Schenn as a #2 or a wing himself but i really think Schenn is better suited for the role. I think their (schenn and giroux) games compliment each others a bit better.

HighOFFHockey

Co-Founder of The Flyers Nitty Gritty
Aug 24, 2008
Philadelphia
flyersnittygritty.com
very true, i wouldn't be surprised to see this in the next couple yrs. i know lots of people had Couturier as a potential #1 C w/ G on his wing and Schenn as a #2 or a wing himself but i really think Schenn is better suited for the role. I think their (schenn and giroux) games compliment each others a bit better.

Giroux is not moving to the wing especially with how good his face off numbers are.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
I remember somebody saying that playing with your brother on the same team can be a benefit or a detriment. Wondering if in B Schenn's case the latter isn't true? He's picked it up a bit and he is one of the leading hitters along with his bro but man his offensive prowess is almost Nodl like this year compared to last and last year he was mostly injured....

Wow do we disagree on that point. The Schenns will be fine and have been playing rather well for us. Like the Sutters and Staals they enjoy playing with each other. Do you remember Joe and Jimmy? Not to shabby.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
Schenn obviously plays better in the middle then on the wing. If he continues to play at or around a PPG pace I think you have to leave him there permanently. The one I'm worried about is Couturier. Mind you not too terribly worried but still worried some. I'd kind of like to see him play on the wing for a bit. If I recalled he played LW in Jr's sometimes I'd like to see if we can get him going by putting him in a bit more of an offensive role.

NewYorkFlyerFan

Dec 3, 2011
Western New York
Schenn obviously plays better in the middle then on the wing. If he continues to play at or around a PPG pace I think you have to leave him there permanently. The one I'm worried about is Couturier. Mind you not too terribly worried but still worried some. I'd kind of like to see him play on the wing for a bit. If I recalled he played LW in Jr's sometimes I'd like to see if we can get him going by putting him in a bit more of an offensive role.

When Hartnell comes back it'll help things a bit. It will force someone like Read maybe down to play with Couturier. I'd like to see

Hartnell-G-Vora
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
McGinn-Couturier-Read
Fed-Talbot-Rinaldo

But i'm fully expecting McGinn to get sent back down.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia

I am ok with Couts taking a little longer to find his offensive game.Only because I hope him and Schenn sign bridge deals. Don't want Homer giving out 4 million dollar contracts until they have PROVED good #'s for a few years.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
When Hartnell comes back it'll help things a bit. It will force someone like Read maybe down to play with Couturier. I'd like to see

Hartnell-G-Vora
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
McGinn-Couturier-Read
Fed-Talbot-Rinaldo

At this point McGinn is in competition with Knuble.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006

Couturier would be close to useless playing the wing. The one thing he's good at is his shutdown abilities and moving him to the wing takes that away. The problem besides his lack of foot speed is he's just not aggressive when it comes to the offensive side of the game. You could point to his linemates and his role and yes its not ideal, but he rarely has the puck on his stick. When he does have the puck on his stick, he has shown good playmaking skills, but its been few and far between. Last year he was strictly in a defensive role and his lack of offense was understandable. Even so, he showed flashes of what he could bring. I just don't see it this year. The only thing I can think of is to get Giroux on his wing, but that ain't happening any time soon.

Mgkibbles

Dec 14, 2009
Gilbertsville, Pa
Brayden Schenn has a higher ppg than Richards. That makes me smile.

Simmonds also has the same amount of points as Richards. Simmers played one more game though.

Beginning to appear this trade is working out just fine.

However, I'm sure Richards still gets more tail than Simmer and Schenn combined.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Couturier would be close to useless playing the wing. The one thing he's good at is his shutdown abilities and moving him to the wing takes that away. The problem besides his lack of foot speed is he's just not aggressive when it comes to the offensive side of the game. You could point to his linemates and his role and yes its not ideal, but he rarely has the puck on his stick. When he does have the puck on his stick, he has shown good playmaking skills, but its been few and far between. Last year he was strictly in a defensive role and his lack of offense was understandable. Even so, he showed flashes of what he could bring. I just don't see it this year. The only thing I can think of is to get Giroux on his wing, but that ain't happening any time soon.

He's not aggressive because he has a defense first mentality. Couts offensive game will develop as long as he is getting PP minutes but I agree having him on the wing is useless. You don't put a center with that size and shutdown ability at the wing.

Codith

Aug 31, 2010
There is a reason why every team in the league wont even discuss trades with us unless Couts is being offered.

He will be a Selke winner some day

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia

Hartnell-G-Vora
Briere-Schenn-Simmonds
McGinn-Couturier-Read
Fed-Talbot-Rinaldo

I think it will be hard to justify sending our best goal scorer down to the 3rd line .

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
He's not aggressive because he has a defense first mentality. Couts offensive game will develop as long as he is getting PP minutes but I agree having him on the wing is useless. You don't put a center with that size and shutdown ability at the wing.

I understand that and agreed with that, but you can still be aggressive and have a defensive mindset. You just have to pick your spots. I just don't see him pushing the issue. Maybe it will click one day, but I'm a little concerned at this point.

You also don't develop your offensive game on the PP. You certainly can get your points, but you need to develop a 5-on-5 game at some point to be an effective all-around player.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
If the read-Giroux-Voracek line keeps playing well, I would do this when Hartnell comes back

Read-Giroux-Voracek
Harntell-Schenn-Briere
McGinn-Courturier-Simmonds
Talbot-Feds-Rinaldo

Maybe briere and hartnell can find some of that chemistry again. But i would only do this if that first line can continue to play well.

Snipsnap12

Nov 16, 2010
If the read-Giroux-Voracek line keeps playing well, I would do this when Hartnell comes back

Read-Giroux-Voracek
Harntell-Schenn-Briere
McGinn-Courturier-Simmonds
Talbot-Feds-Rinaldo

Maybe briere and hartnell can find some of that chemistry again. But i would only do this if that first line can continue to play well.

Hartnell and briere used to be great together, (leino was a big part of that line too) but really hartnell seems to spark most lines he is on, he is ver valuable to this team

CanadianFlyersFan18

Aug 24, 2009
Hartnell and briere used to be great together, (leino was a big part of that line too) but really hartnell seems to spark most lines he is on, he is ver valuable to this team

Depending on how well the Read-Giroux-Jake line holds up, when Harts is back I'd like to go with a

Read-G-Jake
Harts-Schenn-Simmonds
Knuble-Couts-Briere
McGinn/Tablot/Rinlado/ Feds

Would love to see Harts, Schenn and Wayne Train on a line, I think their all relatively responsible defensively and it's a line that 1. would drive other teams crazy 2. Helps you win playoff games.

The Third line has enough size, and skill to open up space for Danny, may want to switch things up when it comes to a shutdown roll but Knuble will crash the net, Danny will find the scraps and Couts has enough vision to find the open man more often than not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad