Pre-Game Talk: Avs' week II: Kings, Kings, Ducks, Ducks - try II

How many posts in before this thread is turned on it's ear too?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I think that's why they're rolling 7D. So they don't overwork him.

Yeah this was before we knew about the Cole trade.

I'm fine with this approach, but I would have preferred EJ get in a few more practices. It takes the bigger guys a little longer to get their legs under them.

I'm always worried about groin injuries too when guys miss camp or they rush these things.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yeah this was before we knew about the Cole trade.

I'm fine with this approach, but I would have preferred EJ get in a few more practices. It takes the bigger guys a little longer to get their legs under them.

I'm always worried about groin injuries too when guys miss camp or they rush these things.
I could have sworn I read that EJ would miss a few games

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Avs now have $3.1m in capspace when running a healthy 20 man roster, and I'm sure Sakic is exploring ways in which that can be put to use. Upgrading on Compher must surely be a top priority.

Unless they're forced to use that space on a goalie, which I agreed with not addressing in the offseason, but these goalie injuries are getting ridiculous. If they wait til the deadline though, they could address both.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Unless they're forced to use that space on a goalie, which I agreed with not addressing in the offseason, but these goalie injuries are getting ridiculous. If they wait til the deadline though, they could address both.
Deadline prices tend to be higher though, due to the lower cap/salary of rentals compared to acquiring them earlier in the season. So depending on the trade target it might make sense to acquire them earlier than the deadline - if capspace allows of course.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Deadline prices tend to be higher though, due to the lower cap/salary of rentals compared to acquiring them earlier in the season.
The offset is there's more cap space leaving room to do more. Out of the prospects, Byram, Newhook and Annunen are the three guys it would take something special for me to e okay giving up (BETTER THAN TAYLOR HALL). Otherwise:go nuts!

Reactions: Richard88

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I actually wouldn't have minded if we kept Cole, as much as I don't think he was a top-6 D on this team. Compher is the bigger eye sore at this juncture for the Avs. $3.90mil and not offering a whole lot. He's actually holding his linemates back at this point.

edit: JTC played a team low 8:11 at 5v5 last night. Not what you want from your 3C....

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I get the disdain for the blue. It’s a big change. But I’ll pose it this way, if they had blue gear for the last 25 years and then switched to black, it would be much much worse.

Colorado no longer looks like they could be Arizona on the road. They no longer have black randomly added to a uniform that doesn’t exist in their color palette.

The change is jarring at first watch, but I bet by March most here will look back and think the black gear looked really out of place. It takes time to adjust to a switch but I think this is a change to a much better aesthetic.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I get the disdain for the blue. It’s a big change. But I’ll pose it this way, if they had blue gear for the last 25 years and then switched to black, it would be much much worse.

Colorado no longer looks like they could be Arizona on the road. They no longer have black randomly added to a uniform that doesn’t exist in their color palette.

The change is jarring at first watch, but I bet by March most here will look back and think the black gear looked really out of place. It takes time to adjust to a switch but I think this is a change to a much better aesthetic.

I don't have issues with the pants or gloves that much on the home unis... the helmets are beyond terrible though. It throws the whole thing off for the homes. The roads look terrible with the blue. It doesn't fit at all.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
This is better here than the GDT

That’s how the black looked. A generic gear set up and just randomly pulled an Avs sweater over it. At least now they are using team colors, like every other NHL team.
Imagine Montreal or New York Rangers using black gear. Why should Colorado, another red and blue team, by any different?
Because red and blue contrast much more when placed together than burgundy and steel blue. Black as a neutral colour works to separate two dull colours that wash each other out when placed together. The home outfit has a middle that looks like one giant cummerbund and the away as we saw last night looks like it's been thrown together from off-cuts. There's almost no blue in the white jerseys, so a big blue block on the legs just looks stupid.

And yes, the helmets don't work at all. Make them burgundy at least, the blue looks noticeably lighter than the jersey.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
This is better here than the GDT

Because red and blue contrast much more when placed together than burgundy and steel blue. Black as a neutral colour works to separate two dull colours that wash each other out when placed together. The home outfit has a middle that looks like one giant cummerbund and the away as we saw last night looks like it's been thrown together from off-cuts. There's almost no blue in the white jerseys, so a big blue block on the legs just looks stupid.

And yes, the helmets don't work at all. Make them burgundy at least, the blue looks noticeably lighter than the jersey.

The issue lies in the sweater rather than the blue equipment. Add a blue strip next to the gray and change the numbers to blue and it’s great.

The change to blue gear is a step in the right direction but I agree there are issues that need to be resolved on the sweater.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
The issue lies in the sweater rather than the blue equipment. Add a blue strip next to the gray and change the numbers to blue and it’s great.

The change to blue gear is a step in the right direction but I agree there are issues that need to be resolved on the sweater.
Going in the wrong direction there my man, the jerseys are perfect. Blue shorts wouldn't have looked good with our original jerseys just because there's blue on the mountain stripes.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't have issues with the pants or gloves that much on the home unis... the helmets are beyond terrible though. It throws the whole thing off for the homes. The roads look terrible with the blue. It doesn't fit at all.

I don't agree at all--I love the blue helmets. I've never been a big fan of blue and black together on a uniform--though the Avs were as close to making that work as anyone.

The blue pants on the white jerseys are decidedly less successful, but that's because there's hardly any blue on the away uniforms. Even then, I barely noticed them after a while.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh **** me the uniforms are dog **** bad. The home ones aren't good but you can at the very least stomach them, though the blue helmets suck and the colour of blue is just off.

The road uniforms, though? Dear god. Who the hell thought that would be a good idea? Truly the worst uniforms in the league now.

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Going in the wrong direction there my man, the jerseys are perfect. Blue shorts wouldn't have looked good with our original jerseys just because there's blue on the mountain stripes.

I disagree. The away would look so much better with a blue strip. Why ditch a primary brand color on the away? Does Boston ditch yellow or black on their away? Nope. Does Edmonton omit orange or blue? Nope.

it’s totally odd to remove a team color from the away sweater. Fix that and the blue is perfect.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Oh **** me the uniforms are dog **** bad. The home ones aren't good but you can at the very least stomach them, though the blue helmets suck and the colour of blue is just off.

The road uniforms, though? Dear god. Who the hell thought that would be a good idea? Truly the worst uniforms in the league now.

Such an overreaction. Have you seen a Ducks game recently?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

No, that dubious honor belongs to the team the Avs played last night. Or the Ducks, take your pick.

Uniforms in the NHL for the most part have bounced back from the nadir of the Reebok EDGE era (my GOD were there some stinkers out there during that time), but there are some holdouts. Kings, Canucks, Ducks, and Sharks all have some fantastic designs in their past that would look great today but they refuse to use them. I don't count the Coyotes and Panthers since both those franchises are going to be moved anyway.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad