Pre-Game Talk: Avs' week II: Kings, Kings, Ducks, Ducks - try II

How many posts in before this thread is turned on it's ear too?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Imagine either one of Montreal or Edmonton wearing black pants and gloves. It would look TERRIBLE. Colorado only looks ok because of historical precedent. It’s not a better team uniform scheme.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I know jersey style and all that is a pretty subjective thing.... But I honestly struggle to see how anyone can look at either of our jerseys and think they are anything other than hot garbage.

Actually, more specifically the Pants, Gloves and Helmet. The Jerseys might have had potential if it weren't for the awful blue pants and helmet associated with them.

The aways in particular look so terrible.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I am always for a team ditching black or navy blue--those are the two most boring and overused colors in uniform design.

The black helmets and pants no longer worked with the current uniform set--the previous two iterations had black as an accent color--the new mountain jerseys do not.

I will agree it's a little jarring to see the blue pants with the black numbers--that needs to be rectified.

Reactions: CharlesPuck

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Imagine either one of Montreal or Edmonton wearing black pants and gloves. It would look TERRIBLE. Colorado only looks ok because of historical precedent. It’s not a better team uniform scheme.

Pretty much where I am. I'm not a fan of the blue but they've already shown me how out of the place the black was. If they just switched to burgundy pants and gloves in the away set, I wouldn't complain. But the roads as they are currently are awful.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I know jersey style and all that is a pretty subjective thing.... But I honestly struggle to see how anyone can look at either of our jerseys and think they are anything other than hot garbage.

Actually, more specifically the Pants, Gloves and Helmet. The Jerseys might have had potential if it weren't for the awful blue pants and helmet associated with them.

The aways in particular look so terrible.

No, our Reebok edge uniforms were hot garbage.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020
I've honestly never cared that much for the Avs main jerseys. The jerseys I've really liked over the years have been the original burgundy alternates from 2001-2007 and the most recent alternates from 2015 to present. So it's not like it's important to me that I like the look. That said, the white jersey just needs a bit more of that shade of blue in it. Add it back to the trim, and maybe the number in the back too. I feel like it just needs a little tweak to make the white kit pretty decent.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
I knew when it was announced that I wasn't going to like the Black to Blue change, but I'm literally surprised at how much I absolutely hate it. Like it's an eyesore watching the games. I really hope they realize their mistake and put it back. I will say I was actually surprised that the AWAY uniforms didn't look AS BAD as I thought. The white helmet really saves it.

Has anyone else noticed that the blue helmet on the homes isn't even the same colour blue? It's like they tried to match it but took it to the wrong paint shop and got a slightly darker colour instead? It's terrible, easily the worst part of the new sets. The blue pants on the home removes the divider between the jersey and the legs and just looks like a childrens one piece outfit.

PLEASE bring back the blacks. I loved the look of the Avs for 25 years - even could tolerate the reebok apron - but these are hideous.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
No, that dubious honor belongs to the team the Avs played last night. Or the Ducks, take your pick.

Uniforms in the NHL for the most part have bounced back from the nadir of the Reebok EDGE era (my GOD were there some stinkers out there during that time), but there are some holdouts. Kings, Canucks, Ducks, and Sharks all have some fantastic designs in their past that would look great today but they refuse to use them. I don't count the Coyotes and Panthers since both those franchises are going to be moved anyway.
The Avs have better jerseys than those teams, no question.

However, the Ducks at least look normal with their colour scheme. Ditto the Kings.

We look like garbage.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
The Avs have better jerseys than those teams, no question.

However, the Ducks at least look normal with their colour scheme. Ditto the Kings.

We look like garbage.

I'll agree the aways are a work in progress--it kinda reminds me of the Rams when they first moved back to L.A. and were kinda stuck between uniform designs, so they had helmets and jerseys that didn't match. And then they came out with the 2nd-worst uniforms in football history...yeesh. I think a couple minor alterations (add blue to the mountain stripes, make the numbers a different color) and they'll look perfectly fine.

A shame that carrying burgundy pants and gloves would lead to some logistical issues, because that would be the perfect solution right there.

But the home kits look great to me. Even now I'm looking at pics of the Avs in uniform last season and the black looks way off to me.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I'll agree the aways are a work in progress--it kinda reminds me of the Rams when they first moved back to L.A. and were kinda stuck between uniform designs, so they had helmets and jerseys that didn't match. And then they came out with the 2nd-worst uniforms in football history...yeesh. I think a couple minor alterations (add blue to the mountain stripes, make the numbers a different color) and they'll look perfectly fine.

A shame that carrying burgundy pants and gloves would lead to some logistical issues, because that would be the perfect solution right there.

But the home kits look great to me. Even now I'm looking at pics of the Avs in uniform last season and the black looks way off to me.
I don't mind if they stick with blue for pants/gloves for the homes but please just make it match. The blue on the Avs jersey is not the same blue we're seeing on the pants/gloves.

As for the away set... I just don't even know where to begin. HOW does that get approved in any way?

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
I would've liked the burgundy gloves and pants. Boy that look good compared to the one we saw yesterday. Also I would've liked a darker shade of blue from the home one.
EnDgtLoVEAESyI2

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
I would've liked the burgundy gloves and pants. Boy that look good compared to the one we saw yesterday. Also I would've liked a darker shade of blue from the home helmet and pants.
EnDgtLoVEAESyI2

Where is the blue on this though? Just one odd stripe on the socks. Looks so silly.

countless teams have made red and blue work. Why is this so hard for the Avs?

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't mind if they stick with blue for pants/gloves for the homes but please just make it match. The blue on the Avs jersey is not the same blue we're seeing on the pants/gloves.

As for the away set... I just don't even know where to begin. HOW does that get approved in any way?

Really? I'm not noticing a huge difference in the blue of the gloves/pants/helmet and jersey. It could be that they're just different materials and reflect the light a little differently.

I don't know the rules on NHL uniforms, I don't believe them to be as strict as the NFL rules though. I know that if a team introduces a third jersey, they have to wear it for at least two years (I think). Not sure if the Avs introduced the change to the equipment, but were not allowed to alter the sweaters.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Really? I'm not noticing a huge difference in the blue of the gloves/pants/helmet and jersey. It could be that they're just different materials and reflect the light a little differently.

I don't know the rules on NHL uniforms, I don't believe them to be as strict as the NFL rules though. I know that if a team introduces a third jersey, they have to wear it for at least two years (I think). Not sure if the Avs introduced the change to the equipment, but were not allowed to alter the sweaters.
To me it looks like the Avs have their traditional blue as part of the jersey, but have Nordiques-like blue for their pants, gloves and helmets.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
STL-COL-21a-e1610731798869.jpg

The helmet is a completely different colour. Its awful. I know you can't see the pants/gloves in this very well, but they are at least similar. Unlike the helmet which maybe they just got leaf extras to keep costs down?

Reactions: dahrougem2

Boulder Avalanche

Pull the Goalie
Apr 9, 2013
Burgundy pants solve most of the issues of the away kit. The black number and name need to go away since they look so out of place. The home uniform looks better with the blue pants in my opinion. As for the helmets burgundy or white would help the mis matching issue with the blue.

Spilot23

Dec 30, 2014
Where is the blue on this though? Just one odd stripe on the socks. Looks so silly.

Agreed that the blue is missing but it looks bad IMO on the current away jersey. It kinda look like since it doesn't have the blue on the jersey they told themselves well let's just put that blue on the pants/gloves and hope it looks good. At least with the picture I posted the color matches but yeah no blue.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Is there a good Reebok Edge jersey?

The Blue Jackets and Capitals came out with some decent ones--but I think for the most part they were all just horrible, mostly owing to the fact that they tried incorporating all this new technology that simply wasn't necessary, and in a lot of cases a lot of teams were left scrambling to redesign their uniforms because their current schemes could not be reproduced on the new sweaters. I know for a fact the Stars ran into that exact problem, prompting their change to those horribly boring "DALLAS" jerseys.

I'm so happy Calgary, Ottawa, and Buffalo finally came to their senses this season--they had a Nuggets level of stubbornness to just going back to their classic looks, but they finally listened to their fans and relented. There's hardly any horrible uniform sets in the league right now.

Now if hockey could get to fixing the gawdawful international uniforms that have ugly-ass bird wings on them, that would be nice.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012

Because the Avalanche colours aren't red and blue. The entire reason the teams you're mentioning work is because there's a good amount of contrast between the colours involved. There isn't with burgundy and steel blue. You're also overstating the importance/relevance of blue. It's a minor trim colour on the whites and still a secondary colour on the darks. There's no 'need' to suddenly use lots of it in the overall look just because it's there.

Reactions: Mr Zappalanche

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
The blue helmets are just the worst on the home setup, and the road setup is a trash can filled with raw sewage on fire.

The larger problem is the color scheme and design of the jerseys. The recent 3rds were awesome and the tweaks there looked like a complete jersey and a huge improvement over anything else the Avs have ever had.

cut.jpeg

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
STL-COL-21a-e1610731798869.jpg

The helmet is a completely different colour. Its awful. I know you can't see the pants/gloves in this very well, but they are at least similar. Unlike the helmet which maybe they just got leaf extras to keep costs down?

Eh, I can see the difference but I still say that owes to it being a completely different material. Whatever, it really doesn't bother me and I didn't notice it at all on TV.

Anyway, if there's one thing that bothers me about the new Adidas jerseys, it's the collars. I have a new Rantanen home jersey in my closet and I love the design, but the round collar is just weird. I don't understand what the league suddenly had against a simple v-neck collar--the ones the Hawks initially came out with were so bad that Scott Wheeler called them the "Veruca Salt" collars and the team very quickly altered them--I don't even think they waited until the end of the season to do so either. But almost all of them have this weird broken stripe pattern on them that's just lame.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
Eh, I can see the difference but I still say that owes to it being a completely different material. Whatever, it really doesn't bother me and I didn't notice it at all on TV.

The material could play a part, no doubt. Unfortunately I noticed it right away on TV, and after that I couldn't stop noticing it...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad