Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Tyson Jost for 2 years x $2M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Too much for Jost based on his current play but I also don't care enough to complain about it. Worst part of this deal is that henchman was right about what it might take to sign him.

Reactions: henchman21

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
I think he'll break the lineup at some point.. he's got the grit and size the Avs need.. I just left him off because I don't think he'll in the lineup to begin the season. I do like him more than most Avalanche fans though :)
I think just about everyone on this board have him on the opening night roster. There are about 8-10 bodies that could be the 4th line and LOC, Maltzev and Helm are IMO head and shoulders above the Sherwood/Kaut/Bowers/Matteu/Ranta/etc bodies.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Y'all are nuts

Jost was a prototypical bottom 6 forward last year, every bit worth protecting in expansion, and we're balking at a 2/$2 contract

Glad he's back, excited to see him keep improving, he's found the niche he needed to and I think he's a great and underrated piece of this team

Excited? You get excited very easily.

NHesterly

Jul 6, 2015
I think just about everyone on this board have him on the opening night roster. There are about 8-10 bodies that could be the 4th line and LOC, Maltzev and Helm are IMO head and shoulders above the Sherwood/Kaut/Bowers/Matteu/Ranta/etc bodies.
That’s the beauty of 3/4th lines that it’s always in question.

JoeSakic13

May 30, 2013
San Francisco
Yeah Jost definitely deserves a 2mill contract and was a solid piece to the lineup. Deserved being protected too.

I feel (or rather I hope) that people wouldn’t freak out as much if we weren’t so close to the cap. He earned this deal.

Reactions: Forceberg

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I didn't think Joe would bend for more than $1.5-1.75M, but he hasn't been able to get his usual good value this off season.

I'm not convinced he can't be a good 3C anyway though, so this will probably be his final test in that regard. Hope he can find more consistent production. Energy levels might be key to this with all the skating he has to do in Bednar's system, especially when he's so committed to playing hard defensively.

Looked like he might have started to figure out how to play good two way hockey last year, and have enough energy to hustle in both the O zone and D zone, but it was a small sample size. The real test will be over 82 games next year.

Gotta keep those feet moving though Josty. When you don't, you're not effective in the O zone. When you do, you are. Simple as that. He was much better at this last year as well, but again the real test will be if he can keep doing it consistently over 82 games plus playoffs next year.

Reactions: Reparlana

Snow Arc

New doctor; Please be patient
Aug 14, 2020
I like Jost! You like Jost! Everybody... likes Jost!

ike.jpg

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Not an excuse. To come up with only three NHL regulars in FOUR drafts from 2014-2017 is just horrible no matter how you cut it. You can argue that Timmins is an NHL regular but the moment the Avs cut bait on Kuemper next year, the value he brought in via trade is gone.

Bottom line, the drafting on this club has been sub-par for way, way too long, and they've only made very cursory moves to try and fix that.

Timmins and RoR. Two contributing NHL players in the second round. Out of a decade of second round picks.

Timmins was a throw in for a soon to be UFa goaler who's injury prone.

ROR traded for basically a mystery box of garbage. Ended up with a bottom pairing defender who was traded for a rental winger. But luckily Sakic salvaged the trade of a first line C by getting the immortal JT Compher.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I didn't think Joe would bend for more than $1.5-1.75M, but he hasn't been able to get his usual good value this off season.

Everyone has signed at market value so far this offseason: Makar, Landy and Jost. Grubi is gone because he wanted market value as well.

There was no discount so I don't expect Mack to take one either.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Everyone has signed at market value so far this offseason: Makar, Landy and Jost. Grubi is gone because he wanted market value as well.

There was no discount so I don't expect Mack to take one either.

Everyone except Makar. ;)

I don't think these other signings have much impact on whether Nate wants to take less like he said though. Nate's his own man. If he decides he's willing to take less, then he will.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Look I like Jost, and I defended him many times this season, I think he improved a ton, he had arbitration rights, so I’m not surprised with that contract. And I think he deserved it. But like someone said, he’s paid because he tried hard. Still he will be the 3C and that’s a bad scenario for this team. Jost and Compher shouldn’t be on this team if you want to contend. Maybe Jost as 4C, but he’s already overpaid for that role now.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Avs have $4.43m in capspace right now. You easily could have signed Danault at $5.5m x 6 instead of Jost ($2m) and still had $900k left over in capspace.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
1 is signed for 6 years, and 1 is signed for 2 years, letting us still have flexibility to figure out the supporting cast after mac gets his raise.
One is an elite top 6 C with league-leading possession metrics who just took his team to the cup finals.

The other, is a 4th liner.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Would much rather have signed him to another one year at like 1.5 because I don’t see him breaking out offensively but 2x2 is market value. I just don’t see the added benefit of giving him an extra here if it’s going to mean more AAV.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad