Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pretty sure lots of players haven't panned out yet from 2016. It appears to be a rough draft in terms of quality. Not saying the Avs don't need to improve their drafting but that year sucked for most teams.

Not an excuse. To come up with only three NHL regulars in FOUR drafts from 2014-2017 is just horrible no matter how you cut it. You can argue that Timmins is an NHL regular but the moment the Avs cut bait on Kuemper next year, the value he brought in via trade is gone.

Bottom line, the drafting on this club has been sub-par for way, way too long, and they've only made very cursory moves to try and fix that.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
Deal isn’t terrible but not great either. Hopefully he can take another step. 25ish points and continuing to improve defensively and it’s worth the money

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
This is actually about 250k ish under what he could have gotten under arbitration. I don't like paying 2m for a guy who should be a 4th liner on a contending team, and I think him as the 3C is not a recipe for success. I think the deal is fine, even good on the individual basis. Bigger picture, I think Jost and his role on the team is an issue for a team with Cup aspirations.
Couldn’t say it better. Jost and Compher shouldn’t be on the third line, and I prefer LOC in his role on the 4th. Jost could he a valuable 4th liner if he learns a few things like taking draws.

Helm - Jost - LOC would be great, but we need 2 better players for the third line, along with Nuke.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
So unless a trade comes along or something unexpected, I think our roster for next year is set....

Landy - Mack - Mikko
JTC - Kadri - Buakovsky
Nuke - Jost - Newhook
Helm - Maltsev - LOC
Sherwood/Sikura

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Byram - MacDonald
McKeown/MacDermid

Kuemper
Francouz

Broken down... 1st line stays the same, 2nd line is significantly worse, 3rd line is worse(Though if Newhook pops off it could be better), 4th line is slightly better).

On Defense, 1st pairing stays the same, 2nd pairing is probably better until EJ gets hurt, 3rd pairing is hard to read. Goaltending is probably better but way more risky.

Overall assuming Joe is done now... I think we are a worse team from last year, and it all stems from the 2nd line being significantly downgraded at the 2LW spot and the 3rd line probably being downgraded at 3RW.
How did anyone expect the roster to be better. Last year was the best team we are going to see until the cap rises or Johnson, Jtc and Comphers contracts come of the books and then there will be other challenges. Imagine if we sign Gru instead of making the trade for Kuemper.

Avsfan1921

Oct 5, 2019
I'm going crazy trying to figure out how people expected us to be a stronger team this year than last. We were, and still are up against the cap. we had Landeskog to re-sign, Saad was FA, Gru was FA. There was literally no way we were going to keep everyone together, the level of hyperbole and freak out is truly amazing.

All year long people talked about how last year was the big year, this year would be a step back, and next year we'd have contracts coming off to maybe make a few more moves. Now that it's playing out people are surprised?

Many other top teams lost assets and took a step back as well, the stars don't always align to allow teams to keep their full roster, let alone add to it.

This team is largely the same in all the core areas, minus 2 LW. Its young D will get stronger, heavier, and gained the experience of last playoffs defeat. They will in all likelyhood be a top 5 team and the playoffs will be a crapshoot like it is every year.

EDIT - wrong thread.

Reactions: Narp

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
How did anyone expect the roster to be better. Last year was the best team we are going to see until the cap rises or Johnson, Jtc and Comphers contracts come of the books and then there will be other challenges. Imagine if we sign Gru instead of making the trade for Kuemper.
Just trade Compher +++ for Forsberg and you have a great lineup.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Lol… Avs sort of trying to maybe be a contender
We have pretty much the same team as last year with a better goalie, a full year of Newhook and Byram and maybe Ranta. We kept Landy which would have been disastrous if we lost him. What more do people want. Plus we get a healthy EJ which is was better then any bottom d men we had last season. We will be fighting for first overall again.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Solid deal. As expected. Any less and we were going to arbitration and he would have ended up with this number anyway. So its not an overpayment in the sense that he was always getting this number. I thought Jost played well this year, I hope he continues on that trajectory in the role he is given. I don't want to see him playing up the lineup much, but he is definitely a useful player and not a detriment to this team.

Reactions: VikingAv

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
We have pretty much the same team as last year with a better goalie, a full year of Newhook and Byram and maybe Ranta. We kept Landy which would have been disastrous if we lost him. What more do people want. Plus we get a healthy EJ which is was better then any bottom d men we had last season. We will be fighting for first overall again.

We have a significant loss in the top 6 without some the caliber of Saad or even a moonlighting Donskoi. And the D depth is a bottomless pit after the 5th D, which will be the 4th D once EJ is on LTIR. Seems like a weaker PK as well but that might work out OK with Helm and Maltsev. Seems like we will lose a lot of defensive zone critical FOs as we dont have someone who can really be counted on.

Aug 2, 2011
El Pueblo
tenor.gif

Avstwitter rn

Mordoch

Oct 19, 2019
$2M for a 3C who cant win FO
I'm going to point out that last year Jost won about 46% of his faceoffs during the regular season which is just fine. It did drop for the playoffs but realistically allot of that is going to be happenstance given the number of games in question. (It seems unlikely there is really something that inherently different about the playoffs.)

Yes Jost has limitations, but 2M is also allot lower than what top players would be earning. (Since he is still 23 years old he also could continue to improve his play.)

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Fair deal. Last year he looked like a legit 3rd liner. Before that he was mostly kept in the team because of the draft pedigree.

Reactions: burgundynblue

NHesterly

Jul 6, 2015
I'd imagine the lineups is currently:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Newhook - Kadri - Burakovsky
Compher - Jost - Nichushkin
Ranta - Helm - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Byram - MacDonald
MacDermid

Kuemper - Francouz

I could see them obviously pushing Ranta to the AHL to develop his skill-set and Helm has experience with FO - but it wasn't necessary pretty all the time. just over 51% win.

Newhook and Compher could be swapped (or they could target a vet like Tomas Tatar .. Johnson if he isn't healthy enough (which is always a possibility) could throw a wrench in the pairings.

RampoSanta

Landy was not offside
Apr 1, 2021
Colorado
I'd imagine the lineups is currently:

Landeskog - MacKinnon - Rantanen
Newhook - Kadri - Burakovsky
Compher - Jost - Nichushkin
Ranta - Helm - O'Connor

Toews - Makar
Girard - Johnson
Byram - MacDonald
MacDermid

Kuemper - Francouz

I could see them obviously pushing Ranta to the AHL to develop his skill-set and Helm has experience with FO - but it wasn't necessary pretty all the time. just over 51% win.

Newhook and Compher could be swapped (or they could target a vet like Tomas Tatar .. Johnson if he isn't healthy enough (which is always a possibility) could throw a wrench in the pairings.
Why are you leaving out Matlzev? He looks to be the 10/11F on paper

NHesterly

Jul 6, 2015
We have a significant loss in the top 6 without some the caliber of Saad or even a moonlighting Donskoi. And the D depth is a bottomless pit after the 5th D, which will be the 4th D once EJ is on LTIR. Seems like a weaker PK as well but that might work out OK with Helm and Maltsev. Seems like we will lose a lot of defensive zone critical FOs as we dont have someone who can really be counted on.

Maltsev and Helm offer some upside on the fourth line.. getting bigger and more physical is the blue print to making the jump... I agree though if Johnson can't get healthy it throws a major wrench into the pairings.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site

And then flame out in the second round since we didn’t actually fix any our weaknesses. Signing Jost actually doubles down on Sakic’s misguided notions that he can provide any value in the top 9 forward groups.

NHesterly

Jul 6, 2015
Why are you leaving out Matlzev? He looks to be the 10/11F on paper

I think he'll break the lineup at some point.. he's got the grit and size the Avs need.. I just left him off because I don't think he'll in the lineup to begin the season. I do like him more than most Avalanche fans though :)

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
2 million is like 500,000 too much I think.

Edit: I do think Jost developed a lot this season but it's still too much IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad