Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Tyson Jost for 2 years x $2M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Very similar production, though I feel like each are about to have their best season next year. More so Dickinson than Jost, but still. What metric are you using that says Jost is better defensively?

2019/20 metrics:

upload_2021-8-15_23-19-51.png

upload_2021-8-15_23-20-20.png

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Dickinson was 1 year from UFA, bought 2 UFA years. Jost is 3 years from UFA, bought no UFA years. Jost is more comparable to Dickinson’s 2x1.5 deal. But at most we are talking 500k overpay here which isn’t tragic for an internal guy who was underpaid last year.
Tie yourself down for an extra two years to the guy AND raise the AAV.

Dim Jim has around $12M left to sign Petterson and Quinn and Boesser coming up next year. Recent precedent points to Q at least being worth $8.5M.

Sakic better make Benning’s personalized ring tone an air horn because something has to give there.

Reactions: Richard88

Sea Eagles

Feb 7, 2012

Mate, with respect, I was told two years ago he wasn't even good enough for the team or NHL level, and his value was nothing.

Not sure you've been watching his trajectory? He had a lot of chances, where bounces didn't go his way. Either way, he's an amazing, energetic, hard working, team first mentality guy, who's on a cost effective contract.

You watch him go to the next level this coming season.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
How many seasons are we on now where some are expecting Jost to suddenly become a 45-50 point player (which would place him smack dab in the conversation of a "good 2C")?

At what point does everyone accept that he is what he is? He looked good WITH Nuke last season as the 3C, but the offense still wasn't there. On an actual contender, he'd be much better suited as a 4C. Obviously he could still break out offensively, but the odds of that happening are not very high.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
How many seasons are we on now where some are expecting Jost to suddenly become a 45-50 point player (which would place him smack dab in the conversation of a "good 2C")?

At what point does everyone accept that he is what he is? He looked good WITH Nuke last season as the 3C, but the offense still wasn't there. On an actual contender, he'd be much better suited as a 4C. Obviously he could still break out offensively, but the odds of that happening are not very high.
It’s unlikely he breaks out but it’s not as concrete as close minded people like yourself make it out to be. JEE, Zacha, Roslovic and Gurianov are all players that broke out at the age Jost will be this year. That’s 4 1st round players from one draft class alone who’s offensive careers modeled Jost.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It’s unlikely he breaks out but it’s not as concrete as close minded people like yourself make it out to be. JEE, Zacha, Roslovic and Gurianov are all players that broke out at the age Jost will be this year. That’s 4 1st round players from one draft class alone who’s offensive careers modeled Jost.

Not sure I'm close minded, just realistic. There's pretty much nothing about his game that says "I'm primed to break out to the tune of 45-5o points". And please point out what is "close minded" about saying "Obviously he could still break out offensively, but the odds of that happening on are not very high"? Hell, you kind of proved my point finding 4 players out of...jeez, let's just say finding 4 players is a very small percentage and sort of proves the whole "the odds are not very high" part of my statement.

He has been given plenty of opportunities to be the player that some like to believe he will be and he hasn't run with it. Now this last season, he carved himself out a very nice and valuable role. I don't think he's worth 2M AAV (strictly due to the lack of offense), but it's a small overpay in the grand scheme of things.

I do stand by my statement that he'd be a much better 4C for the Avs than he will be a 3C. But this is what we have this season, and I hope he proves me wrong.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Not sure I'm close minded, just realistic. There's pretty much nothing about his game that says "I'm primed to break out to the tune of 45-5o points". And please point out what is "close minded" about saying "Obviously he could still break out offensively, but the odds of that happening on are not very high"? Hell, you kind of proved my point finding 4 players out of...jeez, let's just say finding 4 players is a very small percentage and sort of proves the whole "the odds are not very high" part of my statement.

He has been given plenty of opportunities to be the player that some like to believe he will be and he hasn't run with it. Now this last season, he carved himself out a very nice and valuable role. I don't think he's worth 2M AAV (strictly due to the lack of offense), but it's a small overpay in the grand scheme of things.

I do stand by my statement that he'd be a much better 4C for the Avs than he will be a 3C. But this is what we have this season, and I hope he proves me wrong.
The biggest thing about his game that shows any type of breakout potential is his confidence. When he started playing with confidence last year he started holding onto the puck a little more and using his tools. Tools by the way I had no idea he had. He started opening the hips and doing that Makar lateral movement to create space in the offensive zone which kinda made me be like wtf? He has really good hands and he also showed to be a great passer. The killer is I don’t think he has any finishing ability whatsoever. The other hiccup is that the guy he thrives with is Nuke who also has no finishing ability. But they both thrive off one another which is why you can’t really break it up. When they experimented with a true finisher on the other side of that line in Saad we saw immediate results but even still, one finisher isn’t enough.

I don’t think he’ll ever be a 45-50 point guy personally because I don’t think he can score well enough but if he can continue on the confidence he played with in the second half of last season and playoffs I absolutely see him adding 7-10ish points to his career 82 game pace which makes him a 35-40 point guy over an 82 game season which would be unbelievable when you factor in how high end he is defensively and especially when you factor in how shit he was two years ago.

edit: the close minded part is you not believing a 23 year old who played almost exclusively 4th line minutes his entire career up until the mid point of this past season can’t improve offensively. Forgive me if I’m mistaken but didn’t you admit to not really watching the Avs this year? So not only are you closing off that opinion but you’re doing it without even seeing the completely turnaround in how he plays hockey. Do you think it’s just random that all of a sudden I’m supporting this player? A guy who used to kill play after play the moment the puck touched his stick suddenly turned into one of the best puck protectors on the team. He’s quicker, he’s stronger and his decision making has improved leaps and bounds. This leads to more offensive touches, more zone time and thus more offense. You seem to be making your “can’t get any better” decision off what you saw years ago. Again forgive me if I’m mistaken but I thought you admitted to that previously.

Last edited:
Reactions: PAZ and shadow1

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
The biggest thing about his game that shows any type of breakout potential is his confidence. When he started playing with confidence last year he started holding onto the puck a little more and using his tools. Tools by the way I had no idea he had. He started opening the hips and doing that Makar lateral movement to create space in the offensive zone which kinda made me be like wtf? He has really good hands and he also showed to be a great passer. The killer is I don’t think he has any finishing ability whatsoever. The other hiccup is that the guy he thrives with is Nuke who also has no finishing ability. But they both thrive off one another which is why you can’t really break it up. When they experimented with a true finisher on the other side of that line in Saad we saw immediate results but even still, one finisher isn’t enough.

I don’t think he’ll ever be a 45-50 point guy personally because I don’t think he can score well enough but if he can continue on the confidence he played with in the second half of last season and playoffs I absolutely see him adding 7-10ish points to his career 82 game pace which makes him a 35-40 point guy over an 82 game season which would be unbelievable when you factor in how high end he is defensively and especially when you factor in how shit he was two years ago.

edit: the close minded part is you not believing a 23 year old who played almost exclusively 4th line minutes his entire career up until the mid point of this past season can’t improve offensively. Forgive me if I’m mistaken but didn’t you admit to not really watching the Avs this year? So not only are you closing off that opinion but you’re doing it without even seeing the completely turnaround in how he plays hockey. Do you think it’s just random that all of a sudden I’m supporting this player? A guy who used to kill play after play the moment the puck touched his stick suddenly turned into one of the best puck protectors on the team. He’s quicker, he’s stronger and his decision making has improved leaps and bounds. This leads to more offensive touches, more zone time and thus more offense. You seem to be making your “can’t get any better” decision off what you saw years ago.

No, I started off not being able to watch much, and was watching more as the year went on. Now the last year, that got shortened by COVID (and gave us the Edmonton playoff bubble), yeah I pretty much didn't watch any of those games/had no time for them.

You know how life is, sometimes more important things start happening; my wife & I have been trying to have a baby for the last 3 years, so my attention to things outside of that goal hasn't been particularly high. We dealt with numerous setbacks and devastating heartbreaks along the way and finally got pregnant at the end of last year. Funnily enough, it was around the time that we had a confirmed pregnancy when I was able to devote more time to watching hockey rather than just stat-watching/catching clips.

And I'm basing my opinion of Jost off of what he has done up to this point. He has been handed plenty of opportunities in the Top 6 and hasn't done anything with them.

Now this season, he found a role, that's great and I'm happy for him. But I responded to someone saying he could be a 45-5o point player, something which he's never shown the capability of, even this season when showing he can have a different (yet still important) role on the team. He might be all of those things you listed, stronger, more confident, quicker, etc., but that just means he's better at those than where he was prior, those still aren't necessarily what I'd call strengths of his; they're just no longer active detriments. Despite what you might think, I do not actively dislike Jost. I dislike what I believe to be far-fetched expectations for him, or what I believe people think he is when he isn't; but Jost himself is still a useful player, just not one who has lived up to his draft spot (and likely won't, but the jury is still out on that).

Now, what he DID show this back half of last season to be a very positive strength was his puck-hounding ability. That was one of the biggest transformations I've ever seen, and something that I don't believe was a flash-in-the-pan. And that is an attribute that might help him prove me wrong on being a good 3C for the Avs instead of a good/elite 4C.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
No, I started off not being able to watch much, and was watching more as the year went on. Now the last year, that got shortened by COVID (and gave us the Edmonton playoff bubble), yeah I pretty much didn't watch any of those games/had no time for them.

You know how life is, sometimes more important things start happening; my wife & I have been trying to have a baby for the last 3 years, so my attention to things outside of that goal hasn't been particularly high. We dealt with numerous setbacks and devastating heartbreaks along the way and finally got pregnant at the end of last year. Funnily enough, it was around the time that we had a confirmed pregnancy when I was able to devote more time to watching hockey rather than just stat-watching/catching clips.

And I'm basing my opinion of Jost off of what he has done up to this point. He has been handed plenty of opportunities in the Top 6 and hasn't done anything with them.

Now this season, he found a role, that's great and I'm happy for him. But I responded to someone saying he could be a 45-5o point player, something which he's never shown the capability of, even this season when showing he can have a different (yet still important) role on the team. He might be all of those things you listed, stronger, more confident, quicker, etc., but that just means he's better at those than where he was prior, those still aren't necessarily what I'd call strengths of his; they're just no longer active detriments. Despite what you might think, I do not actively dislike Jost. I dislike what I believe to be far-fetched expectations for him, or what I believe people think he is when he isn't; but Jost himself is still a useful player, just not one who has lived up to his draft spot (and likely won't, but the jury is still out on that).
Dude I’m not criticizing you for life getting in the way lol. I’m just saying you seem to be forming an opinion based on what you saw a few years ago.

Also outside of his first year when he was a teenager he actually hasn’t been given those top 6 opportunities you claim. A game here or there (somebody did a detailed post on this earlier this year with game logs with linemates. Literally game by game and it was something insane like not once in two full seasons did he spend consecutive games in the top 6 and you could count on 2 hands how many partial games he had gotten).

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006

Now, what he DID show this back half of last season to be a very positive strength was his puck-hounding ability. That was one of the biggest transformations I've ever seen, and something that I don't believe was a flash-in-the-pan. And that is an attribute that might help him prove me wrong on being a good 3C for the Avs instead of a good/elite 4C.

Congrats.

Tyson is a great name if you haven't decided on one yet.

Jost may not have high end upside but from all we know he works hard and is well liked in the locker room. He's also improved every year he's been in the NHL. He went from a guy who shouldn't even be on a pro team to a legit regular to a positive contributor (although they may have played him over his head at times this past season).

There's nothing to suggest he can't continue to make marginal improvements to his game. A solid fourth liner who causes no drama is probably worth 1.5. So they're paying a fair price for potential upside.

Reactions: PAZ

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Congrats.

Tyson is a great name if you haven't decided on one yet.

Jost may not have high end upside but from all we know he works hard and is well liked in the locker room. He's also improved every year he's been in the NHL. He went from a guy who shouldn't even be on a pro team to a legit regular to a positive contributor (although they may have played him over his head at times this past season).

There's nothing to suggest he can't continue to make marginal improvements to his game. A solid fourth liner who causes no drama is probably worth 1.5. So they're paying a fair price for potential upside.

Well he was born on 6/28, so I sure hope we have a name for him...I'll ask my wife :sarcasm:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Personally I think he's due for a regression, but we'll see. Can't understate how important him finally offering some stability at the 3C position really got them on the right track. But as Henchy and others have noted, his best performances were against weak competition, and he's simply not built for the playoffs. At all.

But way more concerning to me is that Compher and his inflated salary are still around. They just can't seem to evaluate that player properly, and keep putting him in positions to fail.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008

I've been one of Jost's most vocal critics for years, but I couldn't believe my eyes the second half of last season.

He was... good. Not just acceptable, but actually a good player. He looked way, way better after Bednar moved him to center and just left him there.

I definitely don't think he'll be putting up 50 points any time soon, but there's probably more offense there. If Jost sees any time in the bumper/Donskoi spot on the top PP unit, we could see an uptick in offense next season.

GPGAP+/-SHFO%
28681415512247%
82*182341151496447%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If you take his last 28 games and prorate them over an 82 game season, the below stat line is what you get. If he really pulled off those numbers, he'd be an above average 3C.

Sadly, 28 games is a decent sample size, but not big enough to prorate in my opinion. My hope is he continues his strong defensive play and is able to chip in with 30+ points.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think people really underestimate how bad the West was last year... it was the worst division in the league by a good amount. Against the best team, Jost had a combined 2 points in 14 games against St Louis and Vegas. Include the other playoff team out of the West, Minny, and that goes to 3 points in 20 games in the regular season. He'll have to really improve against good teams to have a shot at 35... let alone 40.

nammerus

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
I think people really underestimate how bad the West was last year... it was the worst division in the league by a good amount. Against the best team, Jost had a combined 2 points in 14 games against St Louis and Vegas. Include the other playoff team out of the West, Minny, and that goes to 3 points in 20 games in the regular season. He'll have to really improve against good teams to have a shot at 35... let alone 40.

So our #2/3 C this year were pacing at best, average #3C numbers last year, against not only the worst division in the league overall, but the worst C depth as well (by a fairly large margin).

Not only that, if you take the same sample where Jost is at his best (feasting on garbage teams), Kadri was playing like a slightly above average #4C.

Bodes well for our offence, especially for the playoffs. Sakic has really done yeomans work with the most important position in hockey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad