Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Tyson Jost for 2 years x $2M AAV

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
I want to see Bednar try some new looks.

Jost - MacK - Rants
Landy - Newhook - Bura
Nuke - Kadri - Compher
Helm - Malt - LOC

Guaranteed Jost does fine in that spot.

Reactions: Dominance

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So unless a trade comes along or something unexpected, I think our roster for next year is set....

Landy - Mack - Mikko
JTC - Kadri - Buakovsky
Nuke - Jost - Newhook
Helm - Maltsev - LOC
Sherwood/Sikura

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Byram - MacDonald
McKeown/MacDermid

Kuemper
Francouz

Broken down... 1st line stays the same, 2nd line is significantly worse, 3rd line is worse(Though if Newhook pops off it could be better), 4th line is slightly better).

On Defense, 1st pairing stays the same, 2nd pairing is probably better until EJ gets hurt, 3rd pairing is hard to read. Goaltending is probably better but way more risky.

Overall assuming Joe is done now... I think we are a worse team from last year, and it all stems from the 2nd line being significantly downgraded at the 2LW spot and the 3rd line probably being downgraded at 3RW.
My thoughts as well, but we got no depth scoring anymore with Saad/Donskoi gone and nothing that resembles a shutdown line. Kadri was ageing like an iron spaceship on the surface of Venus last season as well, which is I would prefer to grab an elite 2nd line centre or a defensive 3rd line centre pushing Maltsev as a winger. #4 RD defender also is sorely needed as it would be beyond foolish to think EJ will stay healthy, it comes down to boy cried wolf too many times for me.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Could you be more specific please ? Which players ?

- Joel Armia signed 2 years 2.6M per back in 2019, coming off a 26 points in 57 game season.
- Adrian Kempe signed a 3 years, 2M per in 2019, after a 28 point in 81 game season.
- Pavel Zacha signed 3 years, 2.25M per in 2019, after 25 points in 61 games.

And a comparable under Jost. Michael Rasmussen just got a 3 year 1.45M per deal a few days ago with a career high of 18 points.

2M is perfectly in line for Jost. He's a better player then Rasmussen right now, not quite as good as what Armia was when he signed his deal but very similar to Kempe and Zacha.

Reactions: schelstatic

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
My thoughts as well, but we got no depth scoring anymore with Saad/Donskoi gone and nothing that resembles a shutdown line. Kadri was ageing like an iron spaceship on the surface of Venus last season as well, which is I would prefer to grab an elite 2nd line centre or a defensive 3rd line centre pushing Maltsev as a winger. #4 RD defender also is sorely needed as it would be beyond foolish to think EJ will stay healthy, it comes down to boy cried wolf too many times for me.

Yeah.

I mean I guess you could argue that Jost/Nuke together are pretty damn good defensively. But they dont really have a 3rd wheel on that line that can shut teams down. Unless LOC really continues to just play great and they try that at some point.

On the EJ side. I also agree he's almost certainly going to get hurt again. The one good thing about that is I do think this team is still good enough to comfortably make the playoffs. Had we lost Landy that'd be a different conversation but with him that Top line and Makar/Toews/G/Byram should get us towards the top of the division regardless. And when EJ does get hurt you toss him on LTIR again and you have 6M in space at the deadline to shore up that spot.

There's a lot of unknowns and some risky spots with this team though. Like how will Maltsev be as the 4C? He could end up fantastic and could even push for a spot on the 3rd line, but he also could struggle here. Does Helm have anything left in the tank to be impactful here? Maybe now that he isn't on a bottom feeder Wings team he fins some more motivation to step up for one last year and run at the cup. Can Kuemper stay healthy? I think if he does he'll at least provide reliable goaltending similar to Gruby but IMO could easily be better as well. The question will always be about his health.

Then there's still the giant question mark at 3RD. Right now we literally dont have one. Will Barron be given a quality chance at that spot? Are they really going to run a Byram/Barron 3rd pairing or is freaking MacDermid about to be a regular in our lineup on Defense?

Ultimately we also do still have over 3M in space. That's enough to address one area of concern right now pretty well. Like adding a guy like Tatar for 3M on a 1 year deal for 2LW would really boost that forward group. Or, adding a RHD to fill out the roster.

We'll have to see. If we dont do anything else I still think we'll be in the Top 3 in our division but I'm not convinced we are divisional champions with this roster. And the scary thing is we're one Kuemper injury away from fighting for our lives to just make the playoffs.

Next couple days will be interesting. We have all of our RFAs signed now and we have technically 5M in space right now. Joe knows exactly what the cap situation is here so now he could get more aggressive in a trade market to find a Toews like steal again.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
So unless a trade comes along or something unexpected, I think our roster for next year is set....

Landy - Mack - Mikko
JTC - Kadri - Buakovsky
Nuke - Jost - Newhook
Helm - Maltsev - LOC
Sherwood/Sikura

Toews - Makar
Girard - EJ
Byram - MacDonald
McKeown/MacDermid

Kuemper
Francouz

Broken down... 1st line stays the same, 2nd line is significantly worse, 3rd line is worse(Though if Newhook pops off it could be better), 4th line is slightly better).

On Defense, 1st pairing stays the same, 2nd pairing is probably better until EJ gets hurt, 3rd pairing is hard to read. Goaltending is probably better but way more risky.

Overall assuming Joe is done now... I think we are a worse team from last year, and it all stems from the 2nd line being significantly downgraded at the 2LW spot and the 3rd line probably being downgraded at 3RW.

This team won't win the cup. It's worse than last season and we didn't fix any of the reasons why we lost.

f***ing annoyed.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Cool, cool cool cool.

Same player would've probably cost closer to $2.5 or $3M via FA unless it was a one-year try it out contract.

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
That’s the topside of the range I would’ve expected. But whatever. What’s $500k?

According to puckpedia, we still have about $3.5m if we decide to carry a full 23 man roster. So I hope there’s at least one move left.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC
Makes sense. It's about what I expected. No reason for everyone to overreact on this one.

giphy.gif

Reactions: tucker3434

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
- Joel Armia signed 2 years 2.6M per back in 2019, coming off a 26 points in 57 game season.
- Adrian Kempe signed a 3 years, 2M per in 2019, after a 28 point in 81 game season.
- Pavel Zacha signed 3 years, 2.25M per in 2019, after 25 points in 61 games.

And a comparable under Jost. Michael Rasmussen just got a 3 year 1.45M per deal a few days ago with a career high of 18 points.

2M is perfectly in line for Jost. He's a better player then Rasmussen right now, not quite as good as what Armia was when he signed his deal but very similar to Kempe and Zacha.

Jost still could have some offensive upside. Its not like he could get any worse. This is a great deal. If Jost gets to centre JTC I could see them being an elite third line duo that each rings up 40 points.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
As an aside what a tirefire our drafting in the 2016 was, the new scouting director we have can't be worse. Jost was actually the best fwd ranked to go in the 1st round we could've picked at the end of the day. DeBrincat was expected to go in the late 1st and only Corey Pronman had him ranked the high at like 15th.

I also don't think Jost is anything special but it's a good sign of who has really bad hockey judgement if you see them call him a bad player. Most teams wouldn't mind having a young guy like that in their bottom six on a cheap deal.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
This is fine. We know the front office loves this guy, and if he somehow puts it all together and turns into an effective 3rd liner, this will be a bargain. Otherwise we let him walk in 2 years or use him as trade bait next season.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I know Jost is the whipping boy around these boards, but this is a perfectly acceptable contract. A lot worse contracts out there.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
This is actually about 250k ish under what he could have gotten under arbitration. I don't like paying 2m for a guy who should be a 4th liner on a contending team, and I think him as the 3C is not a recipe for success. I think the deal is fine, even good on the individual basis. Bigger picture, I think Jost and his role on the team is an issue for a team with Cup aspirations.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

AnimalMother73

Sep 17, 2009
As an aside what a tirefire our drafting in the 2016 was, the new scouting director we have can't be worse. Jost was actually the best fwd ranked to go in the 1st round we could've picked at the end of the day. DeBrincat was expected to go in the late 1st and only Corey Pronman had him ranked the high at like 15th.

I also don't think Jost is anything special but it's a good sign of who has really bad hockey judgement if you see them call him a bad player. Most teams wouldn't mind having a young guy like that in their bottom six on a cheap deal.
Pretty sure lots of players haven't panned out yet from 2016. It appears to be a rough draft in terms of quality. Not saying the Avs don't need to improve their drafting but that year sucked for most teams.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Jost still could have some offensive upside. Its not like he could get any worse. This is a great deal. If Jost gets to centre JTC I could see them being an elite third line duo that each rings up 40 points.

Nope. Let's just stop with this. Jost is a very good defensive forward but he's never, ever going to be a consistent impact scorer. He's a good 4th line center who can kill penalties decently enough (but he is by no means elite either), but he's also a player who really can't be used in the postseason in any meaningful capacity.

The contract isn't a bad one...seems to be fair market value, but it's by no means a bargain either. Jost is a replacement-level player, and one of his biggest values was that he didn't carry a big cap hit. That value is now gone.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Nope. Let's just stop with this. Jost is a very good defensive forward but he's never, ever going to be a consistent impact scorer. He's a good 4th line center who can kill penalties decently enough (but he is by no means elite either), but he's also a player who really can't be used in the postseason in any meaningful capacity.

The contract isn't a bad one...seems to be fair market value, but it's by no means a bargain either. Jost is a replacement-level player, and one of his biggest values was that he didn't carry a big cap hit. That value is now gone.
You took the bait my friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad