Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Burakovsky

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
Both Saad and Kadri have averaged more than half a point per game for their careers. Saad managing that pace on two different teams. He’s got 1 point in 5 games. Not sure what’s up w Kadri but he was around his normal pace last year and aside from a few horrid defensive plays was productive in the playoffs. It’s not like either has always been on their teams top line either. I suspect they’ll both pick it up eventually.

Overall Kadri was great in the playoffs which is why it’s so weird to see him look like this out there.

Reactions: Kaizer

Tralfamadore

Don't Panic.
Sep 25, 2011
If an injury to Burakovsky is all it takes to throw our entire bottom 9 out of sync to the point that they are completely dysfunctional, then we have a serious problem.

If Donskoi/Nichuskin/Saad aren't capable of filling in on the 2nd line then perhaps we should be looking at making a change/addition via trade.

Even worse scenario. This an entire forward group if MacKinnon were to go down. TB lost their best forward for the season and it won't even phase them.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Even Burakovsky's two goals have been on the power play. At even strength, our bottom nine has only two goals through five games (Saad and Donskoi). That's the real issue, the hot PP is masking a huge offensive black hole outside of the top line, something needs to give there.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Even Burakovsky's two goals have been on the power play. At even strength, our bottom nine has only two goals through five games (Saad and Donskoi). That's the real issue, the hot PP is masking a huge offensive black hole outside of the top line, something needs to give there.
Those two goals aren't exactly normal 5v5 goals either.

Saad's goal came when he was out there with Mackinnon.

Donskoi's EV goal was scored a second after the PP expired.

So effectively we have 0 goals at 5v5 by the bottom 9 through 5 games.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
Those two goals aren't exactly normal 5v5 goals either.

Saad's goal came when he was out there with Mackinnon.

Donskoi's EV goal was scored a second after the PP expired.

So effectively we have 0 goals at 5v5 by the bottom 9 through 5 games.
Not a good look. It’s crazy when you think about it.

Reactions: Richard88

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
As others have said, Burakovsky's absence is huge.

He's the only driver outside of the top line. The rest of the bottom-9 forwards are of the two-way variety and rely on dumping and chasing. The Avs could definitely use another sniper on the second line.

Saad did have his best outing last game against Anaheim, however. We have to remember Saad - and a few others - missed the majority of training camp, and the team didn't play any pre-season games.

Reactions: flyfysher

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
I feel like they should try bura on pp1, we overplay pp1 anyway and Kadri is just not effective in that role at the moment. Have landy do the dirty work let bura take advantage of open space and add another lethal sniping threat

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I feel like they should try bura on pp1, we overplay pp1 anyway and Kadri is just not effective in that role at the moment. Have landy do the dirty work let bura take advantage of open space and add another lethal sniping threat
I disagree. Burakovsky isn't really the type of guy for the bumper position. He needs to play on the half wall where Mikko is for his shot to be a weapon. But obviously he's not taking Rantanen's spot.

Reparlana

Nov 2, 2011
Manitou springs
I disagree. Burakovsky isn't really the type of guy for the bumper position. He needs to play on the half wall where Mikko is for his shot to be a weapon. But obviously he's not taking Rantanen's spot.
I totally feel that but these power play woes are completely unfathomable going on two seasons with the skill we have, it looked good early but teams have already adjusted. Tonight we got some great chances maybe it was just Gibson. Going forwad if it continues then I suppose it just comes down to coaching. Or Kadri doing his thing.

Reactions: cccoltsicehockey

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I would argue that Mikko is our most important PP player and the only place Burakovsky would really succeed on PP1 is in Mikko’s spot and they aren’t moving Mikko out of there.

Burakovsky is ideal for PP2. He’s tremendous at zone entries and he’s the second best trigger man on the team. He’s Mikko lite on that slot position.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I would argue that Mikko is our most important PP player and the only place Burakovsky would really succeed on PP1 is in Mikko’s spot and they aren’t moving Mikko out of there.

Burakovsky is ideal for PP2. He’s tremendous at zone entries and he’s the second best trigger man on the team. He’s Mikko lite on that slot position.
Totally agree. Burakovsky is arguably the most important guy on PP2 due to his transitions and zone entries. He also clearly needs to be in that spot on the half wall on the PP, and there's no way he's moving Rantanen out of there on PP1.

flyfysher

Mar 21, 2012

This is just one more reason why I wouldn't be surprised if Sakic would be willing to forgo a draft pick to keep Burakovsky in the entry draft.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
This is just one more reason why I wouldn't be surprised if Sakic would be willing to forgo a draft pick to keep Burakovsky in the entry draft.
We won't need to forgo a pick to keep him. Just go 7+3 and do whatever it takes to ensure that Johnson isn't one of the 3 (either by trade, buyout, or asking him nicely to waive his NMC).

Reactions: xpatriatedtexan

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What do you lot think about Bura for the future? He was very good in the playoffs and has been one of the best players for us thus far this season. I still have some issues concerning him going into Casper mode, but very happy that he's making me look wrong. The problem is that currently you can debate that he's playing like a 7 million dollar player...do we let Saad and Kadri go and keep him to a long-term deal? Personally speaking, he also seems like one of those players who might potentially go into "JT Compher" mode if he's given a large deal to set himself up financially.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
What do you lot think about Bura for the future? He was very good in the playoffs and has been one of the best players for us thus far this season. I still have some issues concerning him going into Casper mode, but very happy that he's making me look wrong. The problem is that currently you can debate that he's playing like a 7 million dollar player...do we let Saad and Kadri go and keep him to a long-term deal? Personally speaking, he also seems like one of those players who might potentially go into "JT Compher" mode if he's given a large deal to set himself up financially.
Yeah I was pretty hesitant about going long term on a contract long term with him this offseason considering he broke out in a contract year. But he looks really good this year and has so far proved me wrong. He had is spells last year where he wasn’t great, but they weren’t nearly as long as the ones he had in Washington.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Yeah it's easy to say now but 2 years wasn't enough. Now he'll likely price himself in the ~7M/year range as a younger UFA to hit the market and we won't be able to keep him.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Yeah it's easy to say now but 2 years wasn't enough. Now he'll likely price himself in the ~7M/year range as a younger UFA to hit the market and we won't be able to keep him.

Agree, 3 or 4 would have been better, with one less year for Compher and Donskoi, but look, it’s a negociation process and maybe Bura wanted much more for 3 or 4 years, and Sakic wasn’t able to offer that much

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
The Avs definitely did their homework here because Burakovsky has developed into a top talent in Colorado. He's productive with everyone he plays with, and his linemates tend to struggle offensively when they're moved off Burakovky's line (looking right at Nichushkin, but this applies even to Kadri and Saad).

I'm definitely fearful of losing him in two years (as a 27 year old UFA), but only time will tell.

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Unfortunately I think you're right. The guy was lights out in the playoffs with 17 points in 15 games, and in his last 11 games as an Av he has 16 points. Can't help but think we should have locked him in for another year or two, capspace allowing of course.

Reactions: Balthazar

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
The Avs have made Burakovsky wealthy beyond reason to normal people. He should not be untouchable though by any means. He's just not that kind of player. I'll take a lot of heat for it, but Rants shouldn't be paid near what he is. He's an elite winger, don't get me wrong, but he is feasting off of MacKinnon. He simply does not drive play on his own.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad