Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Burakovsky

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
The Avs have made Burakovsky wealthy beyond reason to normal people. He should not be untouchable though by any means. He's just not that kind of player. I'll take a lot of heat for it, but Rants shouldn't be paid near what he is. He's an elite winger, don't get me wrong, but he is feasting off of MacKinnon. He simply does not drive play on his own.

Rantanen’s been a beast in all three zones this season.

Reactions: LTC Pain

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
The Avs have made Burakovsky wealthy beyond reason to normal people. He should not be untouchable though by any means. He's just not that kind of player. I'll take a lot of heat for it, but Rants shouldn't be paid near what he is. He's an elite winger, don't get me wrong, but he is feasting off of MacKinnon. He simply does not drive play on his own.
Burakovsky is a shooter. If by “feasting off of mackinnon” you mean he’s finishing plays that mackinnon creates, then yes.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis

That literally makes no sense at all.

LostInMosEisley

A wretched hive of scum and villany
Aug 18, 2020

By what metric shouldn't Rantanen be paid what he is? Is he being paid over market value or do you think the Avs should arbitrarily refuse to pay wingers market value and functionally make it impossible to keep any quality winger after their rookie deals?

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Yeah, in hindsight maybe we shouldn't have bridged him, but we were justified in being cautious. We'll see how the structure works in two years and if we can fit him in.

Exactly. Read his thread's from earlier and most of the people were happy with the deal.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com

I mean, I don’t mind telling you this is a ridiculous take. How the hell is Rants simultaneously a passenger and an elite winger!?

And please, show me the chart that indicates he doesn’t drive play on his own. Or show me analysis from someone in the know that says as such. I’ll save you the trouble—you won’t find it because it’s not true.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Also, Burakovsky turned out to be a savvy acquisition, but they were wise to bridge him. That’s precisely the type of player who needs to keep proving himself. If someone else pays him insane money, let them. They’ll likely regret it.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Also, Burakovsky turned out to be a savvy acquisition, but they were wise to bridge him. That’s precisely the type of player who needs to keep proving himself. If someone else pays him insane money, let them. They’ll likely regret it.
Not going big on AAV with him was smart, but most here including me where hoping for something like $5m x 4 years and at this point that would look like great value.

He probably asked for a higher AAV if going beyond 2 years though, so Sakic did the right thing in keeping the AAV down.

Burakovsky is a good player, but he's not a core player and is relatively easy to replace if needed. Sakic already showed that he can acquire affordable 2nd line forwards by acquiring Burakovsky and Saad for Zadorov+ 2nd+3rd and it's likely that he'll do it again when it comes time to replace Saad and eventually Burakovsky.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland

Are we so sure? The guy was always talented and I don't think his level of play is unsustainable.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Are we so sure? The guy was always talented and I don't think his level of play is unsustainable.

His underlying numbers are good, which is precisely why the Avs took a chance on him. But there's a reason a guy that talented was up for grabs in the first place. As talented as he is, he's also prone to some bad stretches where he just plain makes terrible decisions with the puck. Even Bednar shoved him onto the fourth line for a while as late as last season. I just don't think that's a guy you make a massive investment in. You give him the Tanguay treatment, speaking of a guy who was prone to horrible stretches despite insane talent.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Sakic did an excellent job in getting Toews and Burakovsky for 3 second round picks. Those 2nd rounder bust so frequently, that I’d rather just get NHL players. I hope it’s something the Avs continue to look into.

Reactions: Richard88

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Sakic did an excellent job in getting Toews and Burakovsky for 3 second round picks. Those 2nd rounder bust so frequently, that I’d rather just get NHL players. I hope it’s something the Avs continue to look into.
I like the overall strategy Sakic has in how to use assets.

All of his big roster moves are in the offseason when prices to acquire players are at their lowest. He doesn't trade away 1st round picks which have a high rate of becoming NHL players, but is liberal with his use of later round picks in trades to acquire ready-made NHLers, instead of rolling the dice on 2nd round picks that statistically only become NHL players less than 25% of the time.

In-season and at deadlines he's tended to only use 3rd or 4th round picks to pick up players when prices are at their highest, instead of spending big assets on players who only offer short-term gain. A player drafted with a 1st round pick will afterall likely have an impact for several years, whereas an expensive rental only helps you for a couple of months.

The moves he's made are all extremely calculated based on probabilities and well-thought out valuations of assets, and there is always an analytical foundation that underlies every roster addition that is made. Very impressive if you ask me.

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
I agree, but he also tried to get big UFA’s during the summer (Panarin I think). I admire the fact that he is not shy for hockey trades to improve his roster with low cost players due to circonstances (Bura, Toews).

I’m sure now with the window opening he will spend at the trade deadline for the missing piece, be it for a rental or through another hockey trade. He has assets enough.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
I like the overall strategy Sakic has in how to use assets.

All of his big roster moves are in the offseason when prices to acquire players are at their lowest. He doesn't trade away 1st round picks which have a high rate of becoming NHL players, but is liberal with his use of later round picks in trades to acquire ready-made NHLers, instead of rolling the dice on 2nd round picks that statistically only become NHL players less than 25% of the time.

In-season and at deadlines he's tended to only use 3rd or 4th round picks to pick up players when prices are at their highest, instead of spending big assets on players who only offer short-term gain. A player drafted with a 1st round pick will afterall likely have an impact for several years, whereas an expensive rental only helps you for a couple of months.

The moves he's made are all extremely calculated based on probabilities and well-thought out valuations of assets, and there is always an analytical foundation that underlies every roster addition that is made. Very impressive if you ask me.

I think he's realized that 2nd round picks arent much better than later picks. Pick values drop off significantly, so if you can get NHL players you do it. First round picks, especially future ones unprotected, should be treated like gold.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think he's realized that 2nd round picks arent much better than later picks. Pick values drop off significantly, so if you can get NHL players you do it. First round picks, especially future ones unprotected, should be treated like gold.

Oh, but they are. Low firsts and second rounders are kinda that spot where a good drafting team finds value. Everything before that is lottery-level stuff where the margin for error is a lot slimmer, and everything after is nothing but long shots.

That said, I don't begrudge Sakic at all for what he's done in acquiring Burakovsky and Toews. He's always been fond of dealing 2nds and in the past, that sure didn't work out (Berra, Stuart), but since then he's done well parlaying those for talent. Eventually though, Hepple had better hit better than he has in the past in that area, especially if Sakic starts dangling 1st rounders in order to get the team over the top.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Oh, but they are. Low firsts and second rounders are kinda that spot where a good drafting team finds value. Everything before that is lottery-level stuff where the margin for error is a lot slimmer, and everything after is nothing but long shots.

That said, I don't begrudge Sakic at all for what he's done in acquiring Burakovsky and Toews. He's always been fond of dealing 2nds and in the past, that sure didn't work out (Berra, Stuart), but since then he's done well parlaying those for talent. Eventually though, Hepple had better hit better than he has in the past in that area, especially if Sakic starts dangling 1st rounders in order to get the team over the top.

Yup. Joe and the pro scouts have done a good job bailing out our mediocre amateur scouts. But eventually those guys will have to pull their weight. Our pro scouts have historically been good.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
I agree, but he also tried to get big UFA’s during the summer (Panarin I think). I admire the fact that he is not shy for hockey trades to improve his roster with low cost players due to circonstances (Bura, Toews).

I’m sure now with the window opening he will spend at the trade deadline for the missing piece, be it for a rental or through another hockey trade. He has assets enough.
I wouldn't really call the Burakovsky and Toews trades "hockey trades" as there was only one player involved in each trade with picks going the other way.

The Kadri trade on the other hand was a classic hockey trade where two teams traded from a position of surplus (C depth in Toronto's case, and RHD depth in Colorado's case), to fill their biggest positions of need (RHD in Toronto's case, and 2C for Colorado).

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
:nod::nod::nod::nod::nod:
I wouldn't really call the Burakovsky and Toews trades "hockey trades" as there was only one player involved in each trade with picks going the other way.

The Kadri trade on the other hand was a classic hockey trade where two teams traded from a position of surplus (C depth in Toronto's case, and RHD depth in Colorado's case), to fill their biggest positions of need (RHD in Toronto's case, and 2C for Colorado).

Ok thanks, yes like the Duchaine trade too I see :nod:

But yes I meant a trade. I think Joe knew already he had little chance with UFA’s he wanted, so he was ahead of everyone for the players he wanted by trade.

I’m quite sure he knows the window is open, and I’m ready for him to make the trades he needs to do this year to win it all, or to give him the best chance to win.

We can speculate but he will do the job !

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
Good start to the season for him?
At a glance I think it's fair to say that he's done well overall, with 8 points in 11 games.

upload_2021-2-22_20-37-36.png

Digging a bit deeper though I think he could be doing better.

As shown in the game log below he had a very good start to the season, with 3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points in his first 6 games.

However, the last 5 games he's gone pointless. In his last 6 games he has only 6 shots, and 3 of those came in one game.

upload_2021-2-22_20-21-4.png

5 of his 8 points also came on PP2, meaning that he only has 3 points at 5v5 in 11 games (see table below). With a shot like his he really needs to shoot the puck way more a 5v5 than 11 times in 11 games. Just 1 goal at 5v5 through 11 games isn't great.

Ideally he should be up around Kadri and Saad at 22-23 shots by now, which means almost doubling the amount of shots he takes. Saad and Donskoi are shooting 25% and 30% respectively which is obviously unsustainable, so if Burakovsky can pick up some slack that should keep our secondary scoring ticking along nicely.

upload_2021-2-22_20-38-45.png

P.S. Ryan Graves 3rd on the team in SOG at 5v5... :facepalm:

Richard88

Jun 29, 2019
In terms of possession stats he's also doing well, with a Corsi of 55.70%.

upload_2021-2-22_20-52-48.png

To nitpick a little though the team tends to concede more high danger scoring chances against than the opposition with him on the ice. Not hard to see why that is the case with the way he defended on the Marchessault goal 2 games ago for example.

upload_2021-2-22_20-54-8.png

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
At a glance I think it's fair to say that he's done well overall, with 8 points in 11 games.

View attachment 399221

Digging a bit deeper though I think he could be doing better.

As shown in the game log below he had a very good start to the season, with 3 goals and 5 assists for 8 points in his first 6 games.

However, the last 5 games he's gone pointless. In his last 6 games he has only 6 shots, and 3 of those came in one game.

View attachment 399217

5 of his 8 points also came on PP2, meaning that he only has 3 points at 5v5 in 11 games (see table below). With a shot like his he really needs to shoot the puck way more a 5v5 than 11 times in 11 games. Just 1 goal at 5v5 through 11 games isn't great.

Ideally he should be up around Kadri and Saad at 22-23 shots by now, which means almost doubling the amount of shots he takes. Saad and Donskoi are shooting 25% and 30% respectively which is obviously unsustainable, so if Burakovsky can pick up some slack that should keep our secondary scoring ticking along nicely.

View attachment 399222

P.S. Ryan Graves 3rd on the team in SOG at 5v5... :facepalm:

I’ve liked Graves a lot the past two games. He’s earned that top-4 spot next to Girard for the time being.

But, yeah, if he could just learn to bump the puck back to his D partner from time-to-time that would be great lol

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3