Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Burakovsky

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Like others have said, I would've preferred three years but this is a solid deal for both sides.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
You can't go around hoarding players like him because you are scared they might walk in free agency. Hell, he might even be used as Seattle bait if Avs feel they need to protect someone else.

We don't have many players like him, he is our best "secondary scoring" option, and i don't see many prospects (if any) with that kind of upside (top 6 scoring winger).

I guess i just believe in Bura more than most around here.

We'll see.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Pretty much a prove you can be a consistent 2nd line winger in the NHL and get paid bigly in two years type deal. I like Bura. Would have given him a bit more AAV to get that extra yr but I like this deal.

Reactions: Avalanche

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
The AAV is nice, even if the term is less than I'm hoped. Still, he isn't exactly a core piece and scoring wingers are fairly easy to acquire. The only way this turns out really bad is if the switch finally turns on and he becomes a 30+ goal regular over the next two seasons.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
We don't have many players like him, he is our best "secondary scoring" option, and i don't see many prospects (if any) with that kind of upside (top 6 scoring winger).

I guess i just believe in Bura more than most around here.

We'll see.
The point is, you don't want to marry secondary scoring.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
I didn't want him to get more than three years in the first place so I feel great with this contract. With our other contracts coming up in the next few years the AAV was the most important thing. 4.9M is great.

jaisen73

Oct 5, 2006
Three years might have been preferable but, having said that, it gives them the option to get out of nearly 5 million if he underperforms next season. He sort of screams "taken" if left open in the expansion draft.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I’m happy with this deal. Especially after the idiocy we saw in Montreal. Two years, to me, is a good term. Keeps Burakovsky motivated, and gives the Avs flexibility. Definitely agree with what others have said — don’t want to lock in to secondary scoring too long, especially wingers.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Worth considering that there will be plenty of decent forwards available in UFA in 2022, such as Rust, Perron, Gaudreau, Giroux, Forsberg, Smith, Hertl, Rakell, Palat, Radulov, Kessel, Niederreiter, and Burakovsky (who is not included in the list below as his contract hasn't been 100% confirmed on the site yet).

Not to mention some very good centers as well, like Malkin, Zibanejad, Barkov, Bergeron, Couturier, Kadri, and Trocheck.

Those lists could be even longer too if a few more RFA's sign 2 year deals in the next few days/weeks.

With that in mind I like this 2 year term a lot more. With the Kadri ($4.5m) and Burakovsky ($4.9m) contracts coming off the books we will have plenty of roster/cap flexibility to be a player in what looks like a good UFA crop for forwards.

upload_2020-10-10_19-36-13.png

Reactions: Freaky Styley

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Sakic when Burakovsky and his agent walk into his office and bring up the Anderson contract...

tenor.gif

Very underrated comments considering that too many people here thought it would have some kind of influence on Bura's contract.

Bura's got the Domi contract.

Reactions: Richard88

Avs9296

Jul 1, 2019
I like that it keeps us flexible with guys who aren't part of the core. Money is good too.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I wish this would have been at least a three year pact, as the Avs didn't buy a single year of UFA by only re-signing Burakovsky for two years.

On the plus side, Sakic is staggering his contract expirations. Landeskog, MacKinnon, Rantanen all falling on different consecutive years, and guys like Bura, Donskoi, Kadri, Makar, Grubauer, mixed up between different years, too. Allows more flexibility and cushion in planning and unforeseen circumstances, rather than getting stuck needing to cram and possibly make more difficult decisions in a crunch with a whole gang of guys expiring at the same time. Nevermind Bura may have refused to sign for this AAV for a longer-term, and demanded a higher AAV. Sakic can't make a player do what he wants, he needs to make the best choice that the player will also agree to, after all.

Reactions: shadow1

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
I don't know how some GMs do it to themself. The salary cap isn't the "you need to spend this much every year" quota. It is the salary ceiling, the budget maximum. It's not the - wow that team is stupid they didn't spend to the cap, they had all this room, how come they didn't sign the hottest UFA to league max?! All they got was 3M players who will play an effective role on the team and fill gaps... Hey, let's also have 2-3 of our main core players expire the same year, it's not like we could also end up with top prospect RFAs ending up expiring at the same time, too, right?

Uh oh, what players that we badly don't want to trade do we have to trade every season now that we are good?

I get that it can become inevitable, and you need to spend money to win. But man. I for one find it relieving that with Sakic you have staggered contracts and remaining cap space for re-signing players and future opportunities. I know that they swung on Panarin last year and even offered more than NYR did, but still, I found it bizarre how many people were surprised or criticized their off-season. Oh no, they signed Bura, Nuke, and Donskoi instead of Hall long term, what a shame... Sucks that they'll be able to more easily resign their goalies, Graves, Makar, Rantanen, MacKinnon, Landeskog, and many options outside of that, as well as be prepared for Byram or even Timmins' future.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I don't know how some GMs do it to themself. The salary cap isn't the "you need to spend this much every year" quota. It is the salary ceiling, the budget maximum. It's not the - wow that team is stupid they didn't spend to the cap, they had all this room, how come they didn't sign the hottest UFA to league max?! All they got was 3M players who will play an effective role on the team and fill gaps... Hey, let's also have 2-3 of our main core players expire the same year, it's not like we could also end up with top prospect RFAs ending up expiring at the same time, too, right?

Uh oh, what players that we badly don't want to trade do we have to trade every season now that we are good?

I get that it can become inevitable, and you need to spend money to win. But man. I for one find it relieving that with Sakic you have staggered contracts and remaining cap space for re-signing players and future opportunities. I know that they swung on Panarin last year and even offered more than NYR did, but still, I found it bizarre how many people were surprised or criticized their off-season. Oh no, they signed Bura, Nuke, and Donskoi instead of Hall long term, what a shame... Sucks that they'll be able to more easily resign their goalies, Graves, Makar, Rantanen, MacKinnon, Landeskog, and many options outside of that, as well as be prepared for Byram or even Timmins' future.
This x100. Money spent =/= quality of team. The Leafs were right up against the cap this season, look where their cap management strategy got them compared to the Avs. Money doesn't buy championships.

Money doesn't buy championships.

MONEY DOESN'T BUY CHAMPIONSHIPS.

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
This x100. Money spent =/= quality of team. The Leafs were right up against the cap this season, look where their cap management strategy got them compared to the Avs. Money doesn't buy championships.

Right. And IF the Avs end up spending to the cap, it is because they just locked up all of their core players long-term and re-signed all of their blue-chip RFAs, not because they just made signings that will shortly be at the inevitable expense OF those players. It's okay to hit the salary ceiling, it's okay to max out the budget. It's just not a friggin requirement or good practice to constantly be as close as possible to the cap. Worst case scenario with the Avs, they can "only" afford to re-sign all of their most key guys without worry, and max out their cap in the process. That's a good situation to have. And then instead of needing to clear cap room by getting rid of guys you need even more, or even just to be cap compliant, you already have your guys locked up, and if you want to clear some room, you'll have less important contracts expiring in the future, or you can shed some salary with lesser important players.

You're also correct, money can help, but even in the pre-cap world, it didn't buy championships.

Reactions: McMetal

TheTechNoir

fall 2021 bull, probably
Feb 18, 2013
Oh and... they have all of their next 3 draft years' 1st rd picks.

I'm all for trading 1st rd picks when the time and need are right. But some teams once they reach contender status they start tossing 1sts around like hot potatoes.

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
Oh and... they have all of their next 3 draft years' 1st rd picks.

I'm all for trading 1st rd picks when the time and need are right. But some teams once they reach contender status they start tossing 1sts around like hot potatoes.
Yep, and shit can happen when they do that.

Never know if suddenly some guys who were on fire end up sputtering, injuries to core, etc. can end up handing a top 4 pick away to some other team...

Reactions: McMetal

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

Much to Toronto's chagrin.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

Money spent right does tho

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Money spent right does tho
Sure, but the themes I see on here every day are always "Every dollar not spent under the cap in a contending year is wasted" and "the team is X million below the cap, we could be so much better if we spent that money" just don't hold water after the Avs spent a season being Cup favorites despite being way under the cap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->