Confirmed with Link: Avs re-sign Burakovsky

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
This is pretty much the deal I was expecting for Burakovsky. I would have preferred to see him get 3-4 years, but this is fine.

He proved to be a huge addition. I’m definitely pleased they were able to lock him up.

Reactions: flyfysher

BrickNHL

Feb 25, 2019
I like it. The 3rd year would have bumped the average up a bit. Plus he still has to prove himself so 2 years gives him that chance

Reactions: Avs_19 and MarkT

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Burakovsky ($4.9m), Kadri ($4.5m), and Francouz ($2m) will hit UFA in 2022. Kaut and Bowers will need new contracts that same offseason, but other than that we should have plenty of flexibility in 2022.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
My guess is Burakovsky wanted 5.5 on a three year contract.

This is just a hunch, but if Sakic wanted to save every penny on this contract and get less term I wonder if he really is looking to sign Hall, or Pietrangelo.

Because if those guys aren’t being considered it would make more sense to just give Burakovsky a little more cash to get the extra year.

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Good for both parties deferring the cash till next year when the team will have gat revenue and Bura won’t lose 20% to escrow.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
The term on this deal was probably tough to negotiate. 2 years kinda sucks as we could lose him before Mack’s deal expires and in the middle of our prime contention window. But on the other hand he hasn’t proven to be consistent in the NHL yet so there’s also some risk in giving him 3/4/5 years. Overall I’m happy with this deal though as we have him for two years at a very good cap hit.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Is he exposed to Seattle? I don't think you take Graves over him.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
He hasn’t proven he is consistent enough for 4 years.

I understand the rationale of the two year deal, but again, too conservative. Some times you gotta take chances.

Bura is young, entering his prime, and fits our playing style really well (grate skater, great shoot).

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I understand the rationale of the two year deal, but again, too conservative. Some times you gotta take chances.

Bura is young, entering his prime, and fits our playing style really well (grate skater, great shoot).
And he also shot at a ridiculous rate this year. He won’t shoot at 20% again next year.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
And he also shot at a ridiculous rate this year. He won’t shoot at 20% again next year.

It’ll go down, but hopefully because he realizes how dangerous his shot is and he starts shootings way more. MacK told him he should use his shot more and he really should. It’s one of the few shots on the team that can beat a goalie clean. I’d be telling him to try to outshoot MacK volume-wise

Last edited:
Reactions: Iceberg and MarkT

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Perfect deal for Burakovsky, had a nice year but was his first breakout year. Needs to prove consistency. If he finds that then great, if not we are not tied to him for an extended period of time. Also fits the front office MO, of no extended contacts for non core players. Solid signing here.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Consistency has been a huge problem. H is only 1 season removed when WSH was uncertain on a QO. AVs is the team he fits perfectly and leaving for $$$ might have limited opportunities.

2-year deal is reasonable.

Reactions: MarkT

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
You can't go around hoarding players like him because you are scared they might walk in free agency. Hell, he might even be used as Seattle bait if Avs feel they need to protect someone else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad