You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Serious question... Which do you choose

Boedker at 5M/yr for 6 years

Eriksson at 6M/yr for 5 years

Ladd at 6M/yr for 5 years

Backes at 6M/yr for 5 years

Lucic at 6M/yr for 5 years

Assuming we miss out on Radulov, and they look into the UFA market.

Boedker 11 times out of 10 but I know I'm alone on this.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Boedker 11 times out of 10 but I know I'm alone on this.

I doubt you guys are in the minority, for me it's Eriksson though. Hes got the best chance at continuing to play at a high level until hes 35 IMO.

I don't love Boedker, but he was fun to watch on the power play, and that is valuable. Roy just needs to correct his dumbness of sacrificing Soderberg on the PP for Comeau. Omg that was DAF

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I doubt you guys are in the minority, for me it's Eriksson though. Hes got the best chance at continuing to play at a high level until hes 35 IMO.

I don't love Boedker, but he was fun to watch on the power play, and that is valuable. Roy just needs to correct his dumbness of sacrificing Soderberg on the PP for Comeau. Omg that was DAF

Eriksson for me also

Yea, I'd love to get Eriksson. We've lost two of our best two-way forwards in the last two years (SOS and ROR). Would be nice to add one to the fold. You could either load up on the defensive end with Lando-Soda-Loui or put Loui with MacK to ease the defensive burden there. I also think Rants could learn a lot from Loui about being a really smart two-way winger.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yea, I'd love to get Eriksson. We've lost two of our best two-way forwards in the last two years (SOS and ROR). Would be nice to add one to the fold. You could either load up on the defensive end with Lando-Soda-Loui or put Loui with MacK to ease the defensive burden there. I also think Rants could learn a lot from Loui about being a really smart two-way winger.

Yeah, for me he does have the talent to be a Hossa light type of forward through his thirties IMO.

He kind of reminds me of Stastny if he was on the wing, pretty calm dude with good two-way ability, and can put the puck in the net in close.

I think for me it would go; Radulov, Eriksson, Boedker, Backes, Ladd

The reason I like Backes over Ladd is that he can play center if need be, and I see them as very similar in the possibility of breaking down into their thirties. At least he'd hold more value down the line as he slows down as a third line defensive center.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I understand liking Eriksson, but before this last season, he was showing signs of significant decline (had 113 points in 190 games the previous 3 seasons combined... 49 point pace) and has a concussion history now. I worry about that reverting, though I do like his style of play and skill set. If he reverted back to a ~45-50 point player and couldn't stay healthy... at $6m that is a bad contract and one that would be hard to get rid of.

At least with Boedker, he is making less money and isn't showing signs of regression yet(actually improving very slightly over the past 3 years). The regression will happen, but likely it will be towards the very end of that contract or after.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Boedker never once in his career (minus his rookie/sophomore years of course) played with a forward who was as good as he was. When he came to Colorado all of a sudden he was placed on the same line as two player better than him. The end result was Boedker being our leading scorer from that point on.

He's soft defensively. And a perimeter player. He doesn't get involved in battles if he can avoid it in anyway but he's a very good back checker and does his job high in the defensive zone. If he had those defensive and physical capabilities he would be an 8 million dollar UFA and we wouldn't even consider him. He's also a fairly smart player. Not through the roof IQ but probably the 3rd smartest forward on our squad after Soda and Grigs.

Radulov is my number one target by far but after that it's Boedker. Eriksson, Ladd and Backes will break down fast and Lucic is going to be paid too much money.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Serious question... Which do you choose

Boedker at 5M/yr for 6 years

Eriksson at 6M/yr for 5 years

Ladd at 6M/yr for 5 years

Backes at 6M/yr for 5 years

Lucic at 6M/yr for 5 years

Assuming we miss out on Radulov, and they look into the UFA market.

You know all of those guys will burn you in the long run, so I will go against conventional wisdom and say Loui Eriksson would be last for me.

He has never done anything in the post-season - 6 goals/14pts in 34 GP - and prior to his UFA status year was coming off three poor seasons.

I'm not a huge fan of the guy, but Milan Lucic is youngish at 28, coming off of the best season of any of those guys (sans Eriksson), and is a player built for the playoffs.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Yeah I change my pick to Lucic. I know you posted hypothetical contracts but I didn't really pay attention and went with Boedker based on what I expect all of them to make. At 6 million AAV I take Looch.

innocuous octopus

Sep 25, 2008
question...
since (if i understand it correctly) a buyout of brad stuart would gain the avs no cap space, could they instead send him to the ahl? then at least 900k comes off the books right? plus the chance that he doesn't show up and they can terminate his contract

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'm not sure if any money comes off... 35+ contracts are tricky, but I'd assume he could be sent down and the Avs can get some relief (edit: yep... 100k of cap relief).

Honestly... the easiest thing for the Avs to do is just not sign off on him coming back after back surgery. If Stuart doesn't like it, he can appeal... but I'm sure the Avs would have case to not clear him.

member 116861

I'm cool with Eriksson, Boedker, and Ladd in that order. Just stay away from the other two trolls but at the end of the day I would not offer any of those five guys that much term.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
question...
since (if i understand it correctly) a buyout of brad stuart would gain the avs no cap space, could they instead send him to the ahl? then at least 900k comes off the books right? plus the chance that he doesn't show up and they can terminate his contract

If he can play, I think Roy will use him, at least part time.

The trade turned out to be bad, as did the contract extension. But as a third pairing defender and PKer, Stuart was effective his first season. IIRC the Avs had a top-5 PK and he played a big role in that (Varlamov played a bigger role, for those with itchy trigger fingers).

That's if he can play though. I hope he can but I doubt he can.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I'm not sure if any money comes off... 35+ contracts are tricky, but I'd assume he could be sent down and the Avs can get some relief (edit: yep... 100k of cap relief).

Honestly... the easiest thing for the Avs to do is just not sign off on him coming back after back surgery. If Stuart doesn't like it, he can appeal... but I'm sure the Avs would have case to not clear him.

Doesn't he have a NMC? lol

Yeah I change my pick to Lucic. I know you posted hypothetical contracts but I didn't really pay attention and went with Boedker based on what I expect all of them to make. At 6 million AAV I take Looch.

Yeah it's kind of a pick your poison type of scenario to be honest. There are arguments against all of them.

To me the only point in asking the question is the chance we miss on Radulov, and the likely scenario that we will be looking for a significant player at wing.

thehockeywatchinger

Nov 2, 2011
For me, it must to be Milan Lucic. He can to be abordable to the CAP. This player will be the preparation for A-J Greer and some other. It is my opinion.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
For me, it must to be Milan Lucic. He can to be abordable to the CAP. This player will be the preparation for A-J Greer and some other. It is my opinion.

I'm surprised with the people picking Lucic, just due to his reputation for not giving enough of a **** during the regular season. Our fan base does not exactly take kindly to that.

No... he has a modified no trade... 7 teams he can be traded to.

Ahh, ok

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Boedker never once in his career (minus his rookie/sophomore years of course) played with a forward who was as good as he was. When he came to Colorado all of a sudden he was placed on the same line as two player better than him. The end result was Boedker being our leading scorer from that point on.

He's soft defensively. And a perimeter player. He doesn't get involved in battles if he can avoid it in anyway but he's a very good back checker and does his job high in the defensive zone. If he had those defensive and physical capabilities he would be an 8 million dollar UFA and we wouldn't even consider him. He's also a fairly smart player. Not through the roof IQ but probably the 3rd smartest forward on our squad after Soda and Grigs.

Radulov is my number one target by far but after that it's Boedker. Eriksson, Ladd and Backes will break down fast and Lucic is going to be paid too much money.

I'll be honest kento, I think you're getting completely fooled with Boedker merely being Boedker. I went back and looked through his game logs for this past year. These are his rather clearly defined streaks:

2 points in 7 games
10 points in 7 games
3 point in 8 games
9 points in 9 games
2 pointless games, then,
7 points in 4 games
4 points in 12 games (January)
5 points in 13 games (February)
10 points 13 games (Avs)
2 points 5 games (Avs)

When he came to the Avs, he was due for another one of his streaks. He had a total of 9 points in the previous two full months of hockey, a total of 23 games. If you look at this path of streaks, his time on the Avs was merely continuing with his previous streaks in the same year, such as 10 points in 7 games, or 7 points in 4 games, or 9 points in 9 games. At the end of the season the entire team collapsed, but I remember Boedker as well started to look not as good as when we acquired him. The Avs merely acquired Boedker coming off a massive slump, so what he got was just his due. Arizona fans warned us about it. They've been saying a long time how streaky the guy is. I wouldn't touch the guy. He's an inferior version of what we already have.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Boedker is a great secondary scorer, the problem in Arizona was relying on him to be a primary scorer. The same problem happened in Colorado when MacK and Duchy went down.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
He really doesn't.

As a 13th forward or a 4th liner he would be fine.

He can't skate and has no hands. If it was 1995, he'd be a nice 4th line player. Today, you can't be missing hand skills and skating skills and effectively play any position in the NHL. Everberg was better, and he was nothing special.

I get that our team rather desperately needs some players who don't exude politeness, and Martinsen does fit that need. For that reason alone, I'd (somewhat grudgingly) accept him as a 4th line guy. But he still stinks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad