Rumor: AVS Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents & Roster Moves (related topics) ‎ ‎

Status
Not open for further replies.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City

I find this oddly comforting. I dont really care about Gormley anymore but nice to see they are letting Siems develop at his pace
and maybe just maybe he can take over Holden's spot in the future
That being said he'll be 23 by this camp so you gotta hope he's right on the cusp of at least a 7th spot.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
There's no point in dealing Duchene if you are keeping Barrie. I think if you wanted to re-arrange the chairs on the deck, you would have dealt them both - either separately or together to get another center and another top defender back.

If you are keeping Barrie and trade Duchene, how in the world do you replace Duchene? Because that hole would be massive - from an offensive catalyst standpoint, from a goal scoring ability standpoint, from a draw-taking top center standpoint, from a PR standpoint, and from the standpoint that it will mean that in three consecutive years we will have systematically destroyed the young core of centers that was once the envy of the league.

Do you deal Rantanen? Landeskog? EJ? Is keeping Barrie and dealing Duchene worth that? Absolutely not in my opinion.

If Sakic is true to his word, I suspect both Barrie and Duchene will be in our opening night line-up. The big move will have to be something else *cough* Radulov *cough*.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Though I like the fact that Sakic said we aren't trading Barrie, it also concerns me. There is an elephant in the room here, and that elephant is the fact that management/Roy were clearly not happy with how last year ended, and basically eluded to changes to the core of the team.

You take out the obvious candidates who won't be traded of MacK, Landy, now Barrie, EJ, Rantanen, Bigras, Zadorov. That leaves Varly and Duchene as the only core level guys that could be traded.

By deduction trading Varly doesn't accomplish a whole ton, as the market is thin and the return would probably have a minimal effect on the team.

That leaves Duchene in limbo. I would put an 80% chance at this point he is going to get moved this offseason. Now that it's out there Barrie isn't moving.

Management wanted a change to the core, Duchene is the only guy left that makes any sense. I'm officially worried that our best player will be jettisoned from the team. This really sucks.

You can choose to see it that way but I doubt it. There may be a chance but it's a lot less than that in my opinion. What plausible deals do you see for Duchene that the Avs would even consider that would: A) fill our needs on the backend and B) wouldn't be 3 pieces for 1 that would screw us over in the expansion draft?

I really think a lot of people are making too big of a deal out of the whole Duchene thing. He's a $6M player for the next 3 years that you can put in slot 1C, 2C, 1RW or 2RW that will actually contribute up to the value of his contract. Whatever we'd end up getting for him would need to be an amazing deal for sure.

So this is the Sakic quote on Barrie:

It's really nothing ground breaking. Everyone (except for maybe Chambers...) knew that Arbitration was an option. I'm not seeing a "we're not trading him" in that quote.

I'm not saying I expect Barrie to be traded, but the way it's presented, is like "okay, let's say trading him doesn't exist, you can't do that, what do you do with Tyson Barrie?" Because in that scenario, you only have two options--sign him to a long-term deal, or go to arbitration.

I agree with you RL. I don't think Sakic's quote changes much only if to say 'get off my back chambers!'. Sakic is NEVER going to open up a can of worms and suggest that he might trade a core guy like Barrie. Even if he was on the phone day and night with other GMs, he's never going to tell that to the media.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
I find this oddly comforting. I dont really care about Gormley anymore but nice to see they are letting Siems develop at his pace
and maybe just maybe he can take over Holden's spot in the future
That being said he'll be 23 by this camp so you gotta hope he's right on the cusp of at least a 7th spot.

With Siemens' waiver status and the apparent rumors that there are some teams who like him Ive been guessing he ends up as the #8 Dman for quite awhile now, if he isn't traded.

StayAtHomeAv

May 20, 2014
There's no point in dealing Duchene if you are keeping Barrie. I think if you wanted to re-arrange the chairs on the deck, you would have dealt them both - either separately or together to get another center and another top defender back.

If you are keeping Barrie and trade Duchene, how in the world do you replace Duchene? Because that hole would be massive - from an offensive catalyst standpoint, from a goal scoring ability standpoint, from a draw-taking top center standpoint, from a PR standpoint, and from the standpoint that it will mean that in three consecutive years we will have systematically destroyed the young core of centers that was once the envy of the league.

Do you deal Rantanen? Landeskog? EJ? Is keeping Barrie and dealing Duchene worth that? Absolutely not in my opinion.

If Sakic is true to his word, I suspect both Barrie and Duchene will be in our opening night line-up. The big move will have to be something else *cough* Radulov *cough*.

You can still deal Duchene for more of a 2way C, or use him to bring in a top pair Dman. Maybe Radulov is how Duchene is replaced.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Honestly, I almost find Sakic talking to Chambers more interesting than the news itself. Almost. Maybe Chambers agreed to stop doing useless pieces if Sakic gave him some actual news once in awhile. Win-win.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
They wont trade Duchene, he's signed to a decent contract for few more years. Avs only deal away players who they have to pay big money. They will still negotiate with Barrie and if the price is high they'll trade him for a cheaper alternative

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
I wonder who these "among others" are that are going to be qualified. Chambers just being Chambers. I don't know why he wouldn't just transcribe verbatim what Sakic said. Not surprised there is nothing about Radulov.

The Arizona Coyotes and Florida Panthers have better local media coverage than the Avalanche. Anyways, at least Chambers decided to get out of bed and do some work today. I shouldn't complain.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Martinsen as the 13th forward or in the AHL wouldn't be the worst thing. I just hope he's not a regular.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Martinsen as the 13th forward or in the AHL wouldn't be the worst thing. I just hope he's not a regular.

In a league where teams play 82 games of contact sports 13th forwards are pretty much "regulars". There will be enough flu bugs, injuries and suspensions to get a 13th forward 70 games of hockey if he stays healthy himself.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto

By the end of the season, Martinsen was playing at a much higher level than McLeod. Kid looked pretty good in several games. I'd rather Cody be the spare, but we all know that's not going to happen.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
So, other than some talk, nothing has really happened today?

I think it's a huge day.

Sakic said 3 things that stuck with me.

- Barrie will be an AV next year
- Boedker and Matthias will test market
- Mackinnon should be signed by camp but it's unknown if it will be a bridge or long term deal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
In a league where teams play 82 games of contact sports 13th forwards are pretty much "regulars". There will be enough flu bugs, injuries and suspensions to get a 13th forward 70 games of hockey if he stays healthy himself.

Him starting in the press box and coming in when there are injuries is still different than being penciled in on the 3rd/4th line from the start.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Him starting in the press box and coming in when there are injuries is still different than being penciled in on the 3rd/4th line from the start.

Oh it's definitely better. I'm just commenting on you saying as long as he's not a regular because if he's a 13th forward, he's a regular.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
With Siemens' waiver status and the apparent rumors that there are some teams who like him Ive been guessing he ends up as the #8 Dman for quite awhile now, if he isn't traded.

I've been saying the same thing. At this point if they are going to make anything useful out of him, he needs some NHL level attention and practice time.

We know defensively he should be fine on a bottom pairing role IMO. His puck movement could get a lot better with some real coaching.

He'll also be a very cheap option as a #7 type anyways. I'm so glad they are not giving up on him. If they keep him around, that could be a major boost to his confidence as well.

Edit : I really hope getting a solid chance gives Siemens a boost. The kid has held his head up and worked hard through a lot of adversity IMO. I'm still rooting for him, even if the majority opinion is that it's fairly pointless.

If he could even get passable at handling the puck, he'd be a big mean good skating 3rd pairing guy.

Last edited:

Muffin

Avalanche Flavoured
Aug 14, 2009
Edmonton
I think it's a huge day.

- Mackinnon should be signed by camp but it's unknown if it will be a bridge or long term deal.

Does that mean they've got Raduluv locked up? :nod:

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

3 (potential) bad news:

He also hinted of going to arbitration. This reeks of Ryan O'Reilly 2.0.

If both sign elsewhere that will leave us with many holes upftont.

Bridge is a possibility now? FFs!!

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Does that mean they've got Raduluv locked up? :nod:

Probably means Matthias will join his buddy Gudbranson in Vancouver and Boedker has no reason to want to stay in Denver since he doesn't seem to have been much of a priority with the FO. Boedker to Florida after missing out on Rads makes a ton of sense

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad