Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
Serious question... Which do you choose

Boedker at 5M/yr for 6 years

Eriksson at 6M/yr for 5 years

Ladd at 6M/yr for 5 years

Backes at 6M/yr for 5 years

Lucic at 6M/yr for 5 years

Assuming we miss out on Radulov, and they look into the UFA market.

Lucic. That attitude would serve this team quite well.

I think Ladd and Eriksson are better players, but they'll both be 35/36 at the end of said contracts, and that isn't likely to be pretty.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Boedker is a great secondary scorer, the problem in Arizona was relying on him to be a primary scorer. The same problem happened in Colorado when MacK and Duchy went down.

This. I'd love to see what Boedker would be able to do with Mack or Dutchy since he wouldn't have to drive the entire offense. As a complimentary player on our team, I'd love to have him if his asking price isn't too high(which it probably is). Also whoever predicted he goes to the Flames, him, Monahan and Johnny hockey would be a damn good line.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Other... Okposo

Ha, forgot about him. Hes on the level of Boedker for me, every time I've watched him he reminds me of a Stewart who tries a little harder (and I do me a little).

Hes does not really play like a power forward consistently either, and always floats around looking for scoring opportunities. There is a damn good reason they are not fighting tooth and nail to keep him.

The stat sheet will fool you with that one IMO. I've watched a lot of the NYI's these past two seasons.

I think we'd hate him quickly, and he'd remind us all of PA-Parenteau, except with shooting ability instead of passing. Either that or a young slightly quicker Iginla in his current form of give a **** level in the defensive zone, but with not nearly as dangerous of a shot.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
One guy I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the Avs take a gamble on is Eric Staal, especially if he is still hanging around later into the FA season and is willing to take a cheaper short term contract to rebuild his reputation.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
One guy I wouldn't be all that surprised to see the Avs take a gamble on is Eric Staal, especially if he is still hanging around later into the FA season and is willing to take a cheaper short term contract to rebuild his reputation.

I could see that, and hes a smart player who can play wing.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Staal is actually only 31? Thought he was a bit older then that. I wouldn't be against signing him at all.

I still think he can be a good 50-55 point guy at least and who knows, fresh start with a new team might regenerate him again for a couple more years.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Staal is actually only 31? Thought he was a bit older then that. I wouldn't be against signing him at all.

I still think he can be a good 50-55 point guy at least and who knows, fresh start with a new team might regenerate him again for a couple more years.

He would also be a secondary guy on a line, and on a team with a more offensive mindset. Which should be a little easier for him to handle.

The question is, how much do you give him? 5M for a year or two?

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
He would also be a secondary guy on a line, and on a team with a more offensive mindset. Which should be a little easier for him to handle.

The question is, how much do you give him? 5M for a year or two?

Yea for sure. Could definitely see him having a 60-65 point season in the right situation.

Him and Mackinnon on the same line would work well I think, and would give us two good center options for that line depending on what side the faceoff is.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yea for sure. Could definitely see him having a 60-65 point season in the right situation.

Him and Mackinnon on the same line would work well I think, and would give us two good center options for that line depending on what side the faceoff is.

The funny part is that I like his brother for a #2 defensive center.

Would anyone trade the 10th for Jordan Staal in order to fill that hole at #2? Especially if they traded Duchene for Trouba?

KingSizeKirby

PLAYOFFS!?
May 26, 2011
Ontario
If we somehow get trouba how are we gonna protect our defenseman in the expansion draft. EJ, Barrie, beauch, zads and then trouba. Am I missing something?

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hope this doesn't mean Duchene will be the core player to get traded.

I now wonder if this will end up a boring summer for Avs fans.
Well even if Duchene and Barrie don't get traded, it doesn't mean that Sakic and Roundtable didn't have discussions. I am probably very sure that those meetings were very interesting to say the least.

Though I like the fact that Sakic said we aren't trading Barrie, it also concerns me. There is an elephant in the room here, and that elephant is the fact that management/Roy were clearly not happy with how last year ended, and basically eluded to changes to the core of the team.

You take out the obvious candidates who won't be traded of MacK, Landy, now Barrie, EJ, Rantanen, Bigras, Zadorov. That leaves Varly and Duchene as the only core level guys that could be traded.

By deduction trading Varly doesn't accomplish a whole ton, as the market is thin and the return would probably have a minimal effect on the team.

That leaves Duchene in limbo. I would put an 80% chance at this point he is going to get moved this offseason. Now that it's out there Barrie isn't moving.

Management wanted a change to the core, Duchene is the only guy left that makes any sense. I'm officially worried that our best player will be jettisoned from the team. This really sucks.
Agreed, great point here. Personally speaking, I still buy the words of McKenzie, Dreger, and Freidmann that everyone is available except MacKinnon. But I think Avs need to get a legitmate player in return for them to still trade Barrie or Duchene. I love Duchene, but getting Little+Trouba back for Duchene+Meloche, makes this team better IMO on the long run (of course it goes down to Trouba becoming a top pairing player in the future).

It just doesn't make sense to say how there NEEDS to be changes and then decide to potentially not trade anybody. I said in the past that staying pat is probably the best thing you can do, so if they do then it's fine by me. Just that they did a full 360 degrees on what needs to happen.

Matthias and Boedker are both testing the market
Sucks that both Boedker and Matthias are testing the market. Boedker was expected but I really hoped Matthias re-signed. Still a good chance that we can get Matthias back and I have a strong feeling that he will pull a Daniel Winnik.
FYI, it said on theScore that Avs do plan on rebidding on them on July 1st. The most likely scenario is that Avs offered them contracts and amounts up to a "certain degree" where they stop pursuing the player. While the players both think they can get more on the open market. By all means, go ahead ******** clubs and give Boedker his 6 million bucks. There are much better options than him that seem like they're going to reach free agency. I am all for bringing Mikkel and Matthias back, but it has to make sense for the Avs. But here is an interesting thought....who's more likely to get over paid on the market, Boedker or Matthias? I mean if Shawn was asking for a reasonable amount, there is no doubt in my mind he would have already been signed by now IMO.

Oilers fans are pushing hard that Sakic is playing a game and it's a ploy to increase his value :laugh:
It's whatever makes them sleep at night and takes away the pain. :sarcasm:

if he wants 8M now, he wants 11M after that bridge.
Agreed, a bridge deal involving MacKinnon would just be awful, except if he's the one holding up negotiations and thinks he deserves 9.5 to 10.5 million dollars now. Now that would be effin stupid on his part.
Martinsen as the 13th forward or in the AHL wouldn't be the worst thing. I just hope he's not a regular.
Not targeting you Avs19, but why is there such a perception that Martinsen can't get any better? Yeah, I know he's on the older side of prospects, but he did improve as the season went along. I just think it's naive to think he will stagnate and is already in his prime. Sorry, but I am not buying that as of now.

Okposo for 6.6 to 7 million at 5 years is what I want out of all of those.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
It appears the Barrie news has gotten some lenses a bit rosier.

@Seph, I don't agree at all that Martinsen got much better at the end. In fact, I think he regressed pretty quickly and then came on a bit towards the end, and I don' think he finished at much of a better place than he started. I didn't see much that gave me hope he'd be more than a #11-13 forward in any long term situation.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Well, now I really don't know what the team will be up to. Humm. I do share some of the sentiment that the 10th will be in play. But I'm not sure how much we can actually get for it. Maybe the 10th + Varly for Hamilton???I don't know, pointless baseless spitballing.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
woah, really? that seems about 2 million too high
Yeah, I am a big Okposo fan, I know he got to play with Tavares, but I think he matches the Avs style, strengths, and what Roy wants to accomplish much more than any of the others on that list (even if they're solid players) or on Long Island IMO.

It appears the Barrie news has gotten some lenses a bit rosier.

@Seph, I don't agree at all that Martinsen got much better at the end. In fact, I think he regressed pretty quickly and then came on a bit towards the end, and I don' think he finished at much of a better place than he started. I didn't see much that gave me hope he'd be more than a #11-13 forward in any long term situation.
Don't really know how you saw him regress. He probably wasn't as physical down the stretch, but he definitely improved in the talent department making one of those "once per game" legitimate class A pass. You can describe it as a pure fluke if you want, but they did happen.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Don't really know how you saw him regress. He probably wasn't as physical down the stretch, but he definitely improved in the talent department making one of those "once per game" legitimate class A pass. You can describe it as a pure fluke if you want, but they did happen.

Granted he got stuck playing too high in the lineup quite a bit, but I didn't think he was as effective with more minutes, nor did I think he was as consistent throughout the game during the middle of the year.

I know there were flashes of skill, and don't deny that, but his overall game just didn't look any more special than those occasional games like we saw out of the Pajamas, Everbergs, and even at best a guy like Yip.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006

None of these players should be signed for more than 4 years. If I had to pick one then Lucic for 5 years. While players like him do tend to drop extremely fast when they get in their 30's, he literally just turned 28 so 5 years is not that bad.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Staal will probably sign for 1 year, 3.5-4 million on the open market, and will hang around a bit after July 1st.

If I told you that one year ago, it would be unfathomable. He truly may be done, but you can't count anyone out in this league.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
And you're going to have to explain to me how ROR is a better offensive player over Okposo besides O'Reilly's unsustainable powerplay point percentage?

ROR's pp p/60 was just slightly higher last year than its been over the last 5 years combined. He's a great pp player. I don't think it's unsustainable

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
Crazy theory time. Avs had been shopping Barrie earlier with the assumption that there was no way they could pay him and fit the rest of their moves under the cap. However, a certain aging vet has suddenly agreed to waive his NTC to go back home for his swan song. And now the Avs suddenly have the cap room to make their moves with Barrie remaining in the fold.

I'm calling it now. Varly, 10th, 71st, Iginla to Calgary for Hamilton and the 35th.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Crazy theory time. Avs had been shopping Barrie earlier with the assumption that there was no way they could pay him and fit the rest of their moves under the cap. However, a certain aging vet has suddenly agreed to waive his NTC to go back home for his swan song. And now the Avs suddenly have the cap room to make their moves with Barrie remaining in the fold.

I'm calling it now. Varly, 10th, 71st, Iginla to Calgary for Hamilton and the 35th.

You really want Hamilton lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad