Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXII|6 Days Until Minor AHL Transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Just to play Devil's Advocate here...

And how do we know that Grubauer can't be that guy? While it's true that he has underperformed--mightily--here, it seems like Varlamov has been given a longer leash than him.

Varly would have a bad game and Bednar would go back to him for the next several games, it seems.

Grubauer has a bad game and Varlamov is in the net the next time.

Again, it's just Devil's Advocate, but Grubauer hasn't necessarily had the same luxury of not having to look over his shoulder if he has a bad game, like Varly has.

(My post is meant to apply to the whole season thus far, not just the last stretch)
I think the goaltending share has been more than fair.

Varlamov started the season as the known starter and played vezina caliber hockey in October and November. Varlamov started 16 games with a .927sv% and Grubauer started 9 with a .904sv%.

Then the bad months came. During the horrid months of December and January Bednar went with a split as both goalies sucked. Varly started 14 games with a .880sv% and Grubauer started 12 games with a .878sv%. After having a vezina caliber start to the season Bednar still went with an even split as soon as Varly started struggling.

Now in February (following two months where goaltending lost us games on a nightly basis) Varlamov looked great so thencoach stuck with the hot hand as any coach would. Varly is at .915sv% on the month in 8 starts while Grubauer is at .872% with just one start.

I fail to see how Bednar has given more “leash” to one goalie over the other. He announced a starter prior to the season so that everyone knew who our guy was and that guy looked fantastic. The moment Varlamov started struggling he went to a split. Then the moment one of those goalies started playing well, he stuck with him.

It has nothing to do with leash. It’s the lesser of two evils. Varlamov has shown glimpses of solid goaltending and has won this team games while Grubauer has legitimately been the worst goalie in the NHL. Find it odd to question a coaches decision in who he rides based on the two options we have. Especially when you consider that he has gone with a complete even split whenever Varlamov struggled.

Reactions: MarkT and klozge

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Anyway... Back to a different topic. I think we have a pretty significant 48 hours coming up here in terms of the deadline.

Ottawa will know by this time tomorrow where Mark Stones stands. They already know Duchene isn't signing, but if Stone isn't either(And I suspect this is what will happen) then we'll finally have an answer as to what deadline pieces are actually available and we'll probably start to see some significant movement/negotiations start to occur. The question will be whether Dorion and the Sens just grab the bull by the horns and get out ahead of everyone else by dealing Stone and Duchene before the deadline on Monday, or whether other teams are able to succsefully back them into a corner on the final day where they end up being stuck with some mediocre take it or leave it deals as the deadline approaches in the final minutes.

I think Ottawa will command the market if they move both Duchene and Stone...they’ll get good returns right up to the last moment. Those two are too good, lots of teams will wait.

If the Sens wait it’ll be all the other sellers they screw over.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I think Ottawa will command the market if they move both Duchene and Stone...they’ll get good returns right up to the last moment. Those two are too good, lots of teams will wait.

If the Sens wait it’ll be all the other sellers they screw over.

I dunno, we'll have to see how it plays out. On the one hand Ottawa does have the two best assets on the market by a pretty significant margin. But it's also Dorion and Melnyk who are both complete morons. I would not be surprised in the least if they massively overvalue the two guys to the point where other teams simply say screw it and go after other rentals. Guys like Hayes, Ferland, Skinner(Potentially), Nyquist, Zuccarello, Simmonds, etc. will be much cheaper to get and while not the same impact, the cheaper cost to acquire might make them the more preferred option.

Plus, there's the factor that Ottawa has probably overplayed the hand they've been dealt. Everyone will know long in advance that Stone and Duchene are not signing in Ottawa, which means Ottawa absolutely has to deal them at this years deadline or else they lose them this summer for nothing. So teams could certainly play hardball knowing at some point Ottawa simply has to take what they can get. We saw exactly this happen a few years back with Vanek and the Islanders I believe where all deadline the expectation was that he gets traded for a 1st++ but teams played hardball with the Islanders and he ultimately only got like a conditionally 2nd and a B prospect or something like that.

If I'm Ottawa I just jump out ahead of everyone else, find a couple solid deals for both guys and move them before the potential hard ball even happens. Dont be looking to "win" the trade, just get some good value and some good rebuilding pieces and make it happen. 1st + young struggling roster player + B prospect type of package and move on.

Reactions: MarkT

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
No Kaut should be kept in the AHL until he's scoring like 1.10 PPG+. That might be two years even but next season is too early to call him up unless the team makes the playoffs and need him and he's doing well in the AHL.

He's at less than 0.50 PPG right now, definitely let him have some stability and develop down there till he's a top level scorer in that league.

Reactions: MrPeePee

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Duchene already announced as a healthy scratch for Ottawa's game on Thursday. Seems he's very actively out there then...imagine the market will coalesce around him.

Now it'll be interesting to see if the Sens decide to scratch anyone else leading up to that game, e.g. Stone.

Reactions: AvsMakar08

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No Kaut should be kept in the AHL until he's scoring like 1.10 PPG+. That might be two years even but next season is too early to call him up unless the team makes the playoffs and need him and he's doing well in the AHL.

He's at less than 0.50 PPG right now, definitely let him have some stability and develop down there till he's a top level scorer in that league.

He should get TC and preseason to try and make the team. But he definitely shouldn’t be penciled in for next season.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Sounds like the news is no news...they're just not playing him anymore prior to the deadline.

I mean it does 100% confirm he's gone from Ottawa, huge for our picks implications and means he's played his last game in Ottawa.

But yeah it's more or less information we already knew, just now becoming official.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Hmm Stone is still gonna play. Maybe he signs?
Maybe I’m giving Dorion too much credit here but I’m thinking maybe they’ll pretend Duchene is the only asset available to maximize his value. Then once that trade happens they’ll put Stone out there to accomplish the same thing.

If both guys are on the market at the same time it will likely dilute the value of the offers. Trade Duchene this week. Make Stone available in time for the weekend

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
He should get TC and preseason to try and make the team. But he definitely shouldn’t be penciled in for next season.

No the thing is that he's gonna probably be good enough to make the Avs next season because we're so shit on the wings to begin with. Even Jost is good enough to be on the Avs but it doesn't mean Jost should actually be on the Avs roster. These guys need to be left alone in the AHL to develop offensive consistency. Playing two years in the AHL is not gonna stunt his development and this is a prospect that we really need to hit on especially if Jost doesn't pan out which at the moment seems like he won't.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
No the thing is that he's gonna probably be good enough to make the Avs next season because we're so **** on the wings to begin with. Even Jost is good enough to be on the Avs but it doesn't mean Jost should actually be on the Avs roster. These guys need to be left alone in the AHL to develop offensive consistency. Playing two years in the AHL is not gonna stunt his development and this is a prospect that we really need to hit on especially if Jost doesn't pan out which at the moment seems like he won't.

Who knows how well he’ll develop over the offseason. I’m definitely not advocating for rushing him, but I mean nothing wrong with giving him a couple games to start the year if he looks good in preseason.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Maybe I’m giving Dorion too much credit here but I’m thinking maybe they’ll pretend Duchene is the only asset available to maximize his value. Then once that trade happens they’ll put Stone out there to accomplish the same thing.

If both guys are on the market at the same time it will likely dilute the value of the offers. Trade Duchene this week. Make Stone available in time for the weekend

Is Dorion smart enough to pull that off? Lol

Reactions: MarkT

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Dreger likes attention and validation more than teenage girls on snapchat.

BF92EC0D-1180-4278-8AFA-EB7436E14A85.jpeg

Reactions: Avs425
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad