Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXII|6 Days Until Minor AHL Transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I know it probably won't happen but I'd rather see us trade Grubauer and re-sign Varly to like a 2 year contract and run with Varly/Frank next season (barring a trade for a goaltender) versus keeping Grubauer.

Bednar doesn't seem to trust him at all and at least with Varly there's a track record of actually playing as a #1G.

Reactions: Arcade Fire

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
I know it probably won't happen but I'd rather see us trade Grubauer and re-sign Varly to like a 2 year contract and run with Varly/Frank next season (barring a trade for a goaltender) versus keeping Grubauer.

Bednar doesn't seem to trust him at all and at least with Varly there's a track record of actually playing as a #1G.
I think Bednar is hoping Varly saves his coaching job to be honest.

Reactions: McMetal

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Gru has given Bednar no reason to trust him. They want to win, gotta go with Varly.

Pretty much. I defended Grubauer more than most but right now it's a no-brainer who the starter should be. If both of them still struggled then I'd want Grubauer in there to see if he can get going but Varly has been playing really well. Bednar has been saying for months that he wants to see one guy take the job and get on a roll.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
It’s not that we like Varly. It’s that he gives us the best chance to win. I don’t think he’s ever not been our guy, even when he sucked. At least that was always my mind frame anyway.

Just to play Devil's Advocate here...

And how do we know that Grubauer can't be that guy? While it's true that he has underperformed--mightily--here, it seems like Varlamov has been given a longer leash than him.

Varly would have a bad game and Bednar would go back to him for the next several games, it seems.

Grubauer has a bad game and Varlamov is in the net the next time.

Again, it's just Devil's Advocate, but Grubauer hasn't necessarily had the same luxury of not having to look over his shoulder if he has a bad game, like Varly has.

(My post is meant to apply to the whole season thus far, not just the last stretch)

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto

And how do we know that Grubauer can't be that guy? While it's true that he has underperformed--mightily--here, it seems like Varlamov has been given a longer leash than him.

Varly would have a bad game and Bednar would go back to him for the next several games, it seems.

Again, it's just Devil's Advocate, but Grubauer hasn't necessarily had the same luxury of not having to look over his shoulder if he has a bad game, like Varly has.

(My post is meant to apply to the whole season thus far, not just the last stretch)

I agree with this post. I wish one of them would go, but now is unfortunately not the time to do that because the playoffs are 1 point away. I just do not see any long term solutions other than drafting Knight and hoping.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I selfishly need the Sens to do something already because no one else is going to until they do.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Larry Brooks said the Bruins will be all in on Stone if Ottawa cannot re-sign him. Terrible, but at least he stays out east.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008

This is a good point. It is hard to know what level Grubauer could get to if he had a longer leash.

On the other hand, his constant deflection of poor play onto the team makes me, as a fan, feel less invested in seeing him succeed in Colorado.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO

I could see Joe offering Varly a deal like that, but he's gonna arguably be the best UFA goalie available this summer. Someone is going to pay him too much and give him that extra year or two. IMO, Sakic is either gonna have to pay Varly more and give him more term than we all want, or make a deal for a starter. Right now I don't think he can trust that Gru turns things around in a big time way and becomes a bonafide starter. The further he's gotten away from Washington and Trotz the worse he's gotten.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
This is a good point. It is hard to know what level Grubauer could get to if he had a longer leash.

On the other hand, his constant deflection of poor play onto the team makes me, as a fan, feel less invested in seeing him succeed in Colorado.

Is Varly not afforded the same deflection?

Again, they've both been underwhelming (to say the least) during this horrendous slide, but I believe that both have been given the same amount of deflection, yet Varlamov the longer leash from Bednar.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
What teams will need a goaltender this offseason?

Assuming Bobrovsky goes to Florida.

Columbus? Calgary? Detroit? Islanders?

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009

It’s hard to say why Grub didn’t get a longer leash.

But, I have to say, he didn’t and wasn’t going to get any kind of support with the type of comments he was making. Basically absolving yourself of poor play and blaming it on the team/structure is not going to win you any favours on a new team/coach.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
What the **** does 5 inches and 20 pounds bigger have to do with anything when Hayes doesn't even play a physical game at all (he's Bjugstad 2.0)? Hayes PIM the past couple of seasons have been; 18, 18, and 10 (current season), while Henrique is 30, 20, and 16 currently. Adam is also a much better defencive and two-way player.

Hayes in an excellent defensive forward, hence being the go-to guy for NYR's PK. I'd argue that he's better than Henrique in every aspect of the game at this point, including defensively.

Also since when using your size must translate to more PIM? Being taller and heavier doesn't mean that you have to be meaner. See Rantanen.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Varly earned a longer leash, by his play with the franchise the past 5+ seasons. Bednar and the franchise know what to expect from a healthy Varly.

Grubauer came to camp with a lax attitude, acting like a big shot who just won a Cup. He looked like trash in the preseason, looked as bad or worse in 90% of his starts during the season so far. And then goes and blames everything and anyone but himself for poor play. There was never any reason to give him a leash. He needed to earn that leash. Had he come in and played consistently solid from day 1 we'd be having a completely different conversation right now. His attitude and play are the reason he hasn't gotten much play time lately. It's less about Varly playing better and more about Grubauer and his actions.

Hey might be a good goalie, I'm not sure. Hasn't shown it at all here. And I'm not sure he meshes well with this team. Would not be shocked to see a Varly extension assuming he stays healthy and continues his recent play. And then seeing Grubauer shopped on the offseason.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
A Varly extension, given his injury history and the type of goalie he is, would not be a good decision.

We can't necessarily count on him being healthy.

Bill Peckerskull

Fargin' Icehole
Feb 19, 2003
Castle Rock, CO
Is Varly not afforded the same deflection?
There has to be a reason why Bednar trusted Varly more than Gru, and gave him more chances when both were equally bad just a few weeks ago. Either Gru has done something Bednar can't forgive, or he's being told to play Varly. Doesn't make a lot of sense otherwise.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
A Varly extension, given his injury history and the type of goalie he is, would not be a good decision.

Has Varlamov had a groin related injury since his surgery?

Rantanen The Goat

Nov 20, 2018

This. We need to let varly go and move on. Roll with grubauer and francouz. Let them play it out and if they are both atrocious than we figure something out. Varlys time is up.

Reactions: Forceberg

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Hayes in an excellent defensive forward, hence being the go-to guy for NYR's PK. I'd argue that he's better than Henrique in every aspect of the game at this point, including defensively.

Also since when using your size must translate to more PIM? Being taller and heavier doesn't mean that you have to be meaner. See Rantanen.
Yeah no way you're right, Henrique is a million times better than Hayes defencively and it isn't even close.

PIM is a good stat to use to see if they play an overly physical game. I never said that Henrique was a physical beast who had a mean streak, but TPS sounded like (Kevin) he's Goro to Sonya Blade. Hell, Mikko ****ing Rantanen has 42 PIMs and we know he isn't Tommy Wilson either. Meaning that Hayes plays a freakin' soft game. The problem is that Hayes is a such a vanilla player, he doesn't really battle hard and that's my biggest complaint against him. Henrique is always first in the dirty areas and does the details to win games. They aren't my first two choices, as I said in my last post I much rather get JT Miller (Point contract) or Casey Cizikas instead, but Henrique is the only one available.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad