Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XXII|6 Days Until Minor AHL Transaction

Status
Not open for further replies.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Yeah no way you're right, Henrique is a million times better than Hayes defencively and it isn't even close.

PIM is a good stat to use to see if they play an overly physical game. I never said that Henrique was a physical beast who had a mean streak, but TPS sounded like he's Goro to Sonya Blade. Hell, Mikko ****ing Rantanen has 42 PIMs and we know he isn't Tommy Wilson either. Meaning that Hayes plays a freakin' soft game. The problem is that Hayes is a such a vanilla player, he doesn't really battle hard and that's my biggest complaint against him. Henrique is always first in the dirty areas and does the details to win games. They aren't my first two choices, as I said in my last post I much rather get JT Miller (Point contract) or Casey Cizikas instead, but Henrique might be potentially available.
YEah, I think JT Miller is an ideal target. Good contract, locked up for 4 or 5 more years, still in his mid 20’s, and he offers excellent versatility. Depending on who we draft, he can play Center or wing, he’s reaponsible and can chip in offensively.

Definite meh to Cizikas. Too “bottom 6” for me.

Reactions: S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
YEah, I think JT Miller is an ideal target. Good contract, locked up for 4 or 5 more years, still in his mid 20’s, and he offers excellent versatility. Depending on who we draft, he can play Center or wing, he’s reaponsible and can chip in offensively.

Definite meh to Cizikas. Too “bottom 6” for me.
Cizikas is the Adam Lowery of the Eastern conference, fantastic defencive ability, never backs down, forecheque beast, and can shutdown top players IMHO. Even though this team needs more talent, I also think they need more defencive responsible forwards. We're seeing that Avs team defence is still almost shambolic in certain games and that is an area I would want us to also improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meeqs

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Has Varlamov had a groin related injury since his surgery?

No, but I fail to see how that disproves my opinion that it wouldn't be a smart move to re-sign him.

He's had a hip surgery and then a groin surgery. I just am unsure that, given his style, he'll be reliable for the duration of whatever contract he's given (if it's with the Avs).

So yeah...I guess I'd rather gamble on Grubauer and someone else (Francouz/trade options/etc).

Reactions: Colorado Avalanche

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
No, but I fail to see how that disproves my opinion that it wouldn't be a smart move to re-sign him.

He's had a hip surgery and then a groin surgery. I just am unsure that, given his style, he'll be reliable for the duration of whatever contract he's given (if it's with the Avs).

So yeah...I guess I'd rather gamble on Grubauer and someone else (Francouz/trade options/etc).
No definitely. I don’t disagree about signing Varlamov.

I just don’t know where the organization stands on Grubauer. They’re not playing him, despite likely not having any intention of keeping Varlamov.

Just seems like a very weird and awkward situation.

Reactions: Bill Peckerskull

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

I just don’t know where the organization stands on Grubauer. They’re not playing him, despite likely not having any intention of keeping Varlamov.

Grubbi has been awful for the entire season. They aren't playing him because he was a mistake, and in fairness one not many people saw coming, but a mistake none the less.

I'm sure if they could move him to get that money off the books they would.

They're trying to make the playoffs and Varly is the only one who has the ability to get them there.

Reactions: klozge

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Just to play Devil's Advocate here...

And how do we know that Grubauer can't be that guy? While it's true that he has underperformed--mightily--here, it seems like Varlamov has been given a longer leash than him.

Varly would have a bad game and Bednar would go back to him for the next several games, it seems.

Grubauer has a bad game and Varlamov is in the net the next time.

Again, it's just Devil's Advocate, but Grubauer hasn't necessarily had the same luxury of not having to look over his shoulder if he has a bad game, like Varly has.

(My post is meant to apply to the whole season thus far, not just the last stretch)
Varly has a proven track record of NHL success and over 200 wins. Given a choice, it's no wonder they gave him the longer leash and time to work out of the slump, and it looks like they were right to do so, too. Grubi will get starts soon with these back to backs coming up, he'll have a chance to prove he can stop a beach ball down the stretch.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Cizikas does not have good advanced stats so he can’t be good!

I like Miller a lot, he would be a good offseason grab.

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
Grubbi has been awful for the entire season. They aren't playing him because he was a mistake, and in fairness one not many people saw coming, but a mistake none the less.

I'm sure if they could move him to get that money off the books they would.

They're trying to make the playoffs and Varly is the only one who has the ability to get them there.
Again, don’t disagree.

But I just don’t know where they stand right now with him.

Maybe they look for another 1B goalie in the offseason to tandem with him again.

Really have no idea what their plan is.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

I mean Gru didn't help himself with his play, so I'm not trying to act like he's absolved or anything. But I also don't think he's been given quite the same shake Varlamov has gotten, at least in respect to both of them playing as poorly as they had been playing through this slide. Like I said--Varly would have a horrendous outing, but Bednar would go right back to him; Grubauer would have a bad outing and he's sat and has to wait for whenever Bednar would decide to play him again. There's part of me that wonders how Grubauer would perform if he didn't have to be looking over his shoulder after every bad outing.

Again...not saying either has earned the longer leash, but one has clearly been given it this season.

At the end of the day I see the slide as a result of many factors: The goaltending not being super great, team defensive play being poor, Bednar's inability to make the proper in-game adjustments, and Bednar's system usually resulting in tired players committing lazy penalties. It's a perfect storm of shit.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Yeah no way you're right, Henrique is a million times better than Hayes defencively and it isn't even close.

PIM is a good stat to use to see if they play an overly physical game. I never said that Henrique was a physical beast who had a mean streak, but TPS sounded like (Kevin) he's Goro to Sonya Blade. Hell, Mikko ****ing Rantanen has 42 PIMs and we know he isn't Tommy Wilson either. Meaning that Hayes plays a freakin' soft game. The problem is that Hayes is a such a vanilla player, he doesn't really battle hard and that's my biggest complaint against him. Henrique is always first in the dirty areas and does the details to win games. They aren't my first two choices, as I said in my last post I much rather get JT Miller (Point contract) or Casey Cizikas instead, but Henrique is the only one available.

I get how he would be the type of player the Avs could take a look at, but hes a 3c paid like a 2c and is signed from 30-35 which is probably a bit much to be taking a flyer on. If you're going to spend that money I'd likely take Hayes on it but not for much more.

Cizikas would be a shrewd addition but I don't know if I see NYI moving on from him and I don't think he'd be the type of guy I'd trade big assets on, especially with Bowers in the system.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA
Again, don’t disagree.

But I just don’t know where they stand right now with him.

Maybe they look for another 1B goalie in the offseason to tandem with him again.

Really have no idea what their plan is.

I mean there likely isn't one. There is no doubt for me that Grubbi has clearly shown he isn't a solution. At this point the Avs are just kinda stuck with him but I wouldn't be shocked to see him moved or waived before his contract is done.

They will have a few stop gap options in this UFA.

Goalies are notoriously hard to find, and it usually comes down to luck. Maybe the Avs take a shot at Knight in the draft and sign Howard in UFA. Really hard to say, there's no great options

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
I mean there likely isn't one. There is no doubt for me that Grubbi has clearly shown he isn't a solution. At this point the Avs are just kinda stuck with him but I wouldn't be shocked to see him moved or waived before his contract is done.

They will have a few stop gap options in this UFA.

Goalies are notoriously hard to find, and it usually comes down to luck. Maybe the Avs take a shot at Knight in the draft and sign Howard in UFA. Really hard to say, there's no great options
I know you seem very sure here.

But I don’t think the Avs are going to give up on him based on a 23 game sample size when there’s a much bigger sample of him being a decent goaltender.

I dont believe he’s turned into a pumpkin overnight.

Meeqs

Aug 23, 2012
USA

But I don’t think the Avs are going to give up on him based on a 23 game sample size when there’s a much bigger sample of him being a decent goaltender.

Trotz makes a lot of average and below average goalies seem much better than they are. He wouldn't be the 1st time its happened.

I think the Avs will give him a bit more time but he's been possibly the worst goalie in the NHL this year so I think this only ends one way.

Its a shame because I think Franc really deserves a shot up here and he's being held back by a sunk cost fallacy.

Reactions: klozge

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018

He's had a terrible 23 games. He's the worst in the league.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190216-145808.png
    Screenshot_20190216-145808.png
    477.6 KB · Views: 27

EdAVSfan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2009
He's had a terrible 23 games. He's the worst in the league.
Yes thank you.

No need to show me the stats of how bad he’s been.

Are people getting the impression I’m defending him?

I’m not. I’m simply speaking to what I think the Avs will do. Not what I would do. I personally don’t think they’re going to give up on him yet.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
So what I’m hearing is ride Varly to the playoffs then sign Lehner in the offseason.

I hope Duchene gets traded mid game again.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Yes thank you.

No need to show me the stats of how bad he’s been.

Are people getting the impression I’m defending him?

I’m not. I’m simply speaking to what I think the Avs will do. Not what I would do. I personally don’t think they’re going to give up on him yet.
I just wanted to add to your comment with his stats.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It has been a failure so far but I loved it at the time and thought they made a smart move. It's not like the Avs were the only team after him either. The Canes reportedly offered a higher pick but the Caps wanted to send him out of the division. IMO, he's still tradeable if the Avs wanted to cut bait.

It was a savvy transaction to acquire a goaler that our pro-scouting people rated...unfortunately our pro-scouts don't exactly have a high success-rate...
I think Grubs will be back here next season as the backup. They have to find a starter somewhere. Unless Francouz gets a long look and performs well you can't really trust him in a 1B / 1B situation with Grubauer. Can't trust Varly at all, and certainly not with Grubauer again. Given Grubauer is signed and the other two aren't...I think he'll be the one of the three to stay, and Sakic might have to look around the league to find a passable starter.

I'm still curious if Florida wouldn't kick in a 3rd if we sent them Gru for Reimer. Gru might turn it around as Bob's backup next season & we could eat Reimer's contract (or buyout). That way you can bring Frank back as the backup to newly-acquired-starter-X.

CB Joe

Oct 12, 2008
I think it's obvious Grubauer was just a product of Trotz's system, look at what he's doing with Greiss and Lehner. Two career back ups putting up Vezina numbers.
I'm not so sure. No doubt Grubauer benefited from Trotz but Grubauer's put up decent numbers everywhere he's been in the past. There is clearly skill there but for whatever reason it's not working out for him here.

HartKinnon

Nov 25, 2010
No one knows. Something sure seemed to be bothering him the last 2 months. His quickness and lateral movement wasn't near as good after his mysterious IR stint with a "LBI". Was that a groin? Only the Avs know.

Somebody bumped into Varly and match or two after that EJ tackled somebody againts or on top of Varly and after that Varly had that horrendous stretch.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Anyway... Back to a different topic. I think we have a pretty significant 48 hours coming up here in terms of the deadline.

Ottawa will know by this time tomorrow where Mark Stones stands. They already know Duchene isn't signing, but if Stone isn't either(And I suspect this is what will happen) then we'll finally have an answer as to what deadline pieces are actually available and we'll probably start to see some significant movement/negotiations start to occur. The question will be whether Dorion and the Sens just grab the bull by the horns and get out ahead of everyone else by dealing Stone and Duchene before the deadline on Monday, or whether other teams are able to succsefully back them into a corner on the final day where they end up being stuck with some mediocre take it or leave it deals as the deadline approaches in the final minutes.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think it's obvious Grubauer was just a product of Trotz's system, look at what he's doing with Greiss and Lehner. Two career back ups putting up Vezina numbers.

Not so sure about that. It's not like the Caps were defensive stalwarts last year.

I will admit the Avs are pretty lousy at defending the slot area and give up WAY too many breakaways, but it's pretty clear that whatever Mitch Korn did to get the most out of ol' Philipp, Jussi Parkkila hasn't.

That said, I don't think Grubauer is a legit starter. Might end up being a high-end backup who can play for large stretches if need be (when he's actually playing well) but I don't see him as anything more than a Jaro Halak-type. And, well, Halak ended up not being a very good starter either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad