Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XV| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I would be stunned if the Leafs ever got rid of Kadri. He's the perfect 2/3C on a team that has an injury-prone top pivot, not to mention he's effective on the power play, logs tough defensive minutes and is one of the few "sandpaper" guys on a team that more and more pundits are saying doesn't have nearly enough grit.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
@cgf seems ok with that, but to me it seems like volunteering for a gut shot (slow death). Maybe I'm just having trouble adapting to the way things are moving salary wise in the NHL.

I think I've stated enough that I don't think it is the wisest decision to go down that path, but it is a path I can see happening... it is known the Avs like Hayes, he is youngish, and he fills the #2C gap until a younger replacement is necessary then he can slide into Soda's current role. It certainly isn't going to be a bargain contract and he is likely to be a million overpaid.... but I'd rather pay a million extra on Hayes than Calvert type personally. At least with Hayes, you get a good player.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
@cgf seems ok with that, but to me it seems like volunteering for a gut shot (slow death). Maybe I'm just having trouble adapting to the way things are moving salary wise in the NHL.

For us or in general? I’m not for it for us...thus prefering to trade for a better solution (ideally on a better contract) and only wanting to spend money in FA on the superstars...but I think that’s fair for him in general in the current market.

Like if the rental market is blown up by Ottawa and their kids look like they still need some sheltering next season; I’d sign hayes to a frontloaded 5-year deal at that price and sell off Zibby a time the draft, were I in Gorton’s shoes.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think I've stated enough that I don't think it is the wisest decision to go down that path, but it is a path I can see happening... it is known the Avs like Hayes, he is youngish, and he fills the #2C gap until a younger replacement is necessary then he can slide into Soda's current role. It certainly isn't going to be a bargain contract and he is likely to be a million overpaid.... but I'd rather pay a million extra on Hayes than Calvert type personally. At least with Hayes, you get a good player.

Completely agree

For us or in general? I’m not for it for us...thus prefering to trade for a better solution (ideally on a better contract) and only wanting to spend money in FA on the superstars...but I think that’s fair for him in general in the current market.

Like if the rental market is blown up by Ottawa and their kids look like they still need some sheltering next season; I’d sign hayes to a frontloaded 5-year deal at that price and sell off Zibby a time the draft, were I in Gorton’s shoes.

Of course, but we may not be invited to the dance for players like Bread and Stone. My struggle with it is I really want someone during this season.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
6-7m is going to be the going rate going forward for 2C types the way the cap is going, especially in UFA. I'm just not a particularly big fan of Hayes or of his prospects to be the strong 2C we need.

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
At this point I have my dreams for who the Avs target for secondary scoring and how they'd acquire them and then I have more realistic expectations that I could live with, even though I'm not as excited about them. Hayes falls into the more realistic expectation; someone like Stone is more of a dream. Hayes probably shuts the door on the dreams, but they were probably never going to happen anyway so it's fine.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The Avs aren't choosing between Calvert and Hayes. I don't think he factors into their decision at all.

If Hayes isn't the #2C answer, and they're making any sort of comparison to what they have already, then it's Hayes vs Bowers/Compher/Kamenev/Jost as the #3C.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Completely agree

Of course, but we may not be invited to the dance for players like Bread and Stone. My struggle with it is I really want someone during this season.

If we make a trade for a longterm 1b C, then we're gucci either way :dunno:

Jost - Trade - OTT 1st*
Calvert - Soda - Kaut*
Greer - Kam - Comph*
( Longbeach / Gork )

With Shvyry & Bowers in the AHL

Last edited:

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Hayes is definitely a second line C/RW. He plays big minutes, puts up ~45ish points consistently (trending upward this season), he’s very good defensively, kills penalties, and plays the point on the PP.

The big sticking point for me is trading assets for him, or taking your chances that he makes it to free agency.

Just a thought, but I could see the Avs and Rangers working out a trade around Hayes and Kerfoot (with the Avs adding obviously).

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
If we make a trade for a longterm 1b C, then we're gucci either way :dunno:

Jost - Trade - OTT 1st*
Calvert - Soda - Kaut*
Greer - Kam - Comph*
( Longbeach / Gork )

With Shvyry & Bowers in the AHL

I noticed you didn't do the defense. You better not of did what I think you did.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Sure but it’s better to take the risk overpaying on good players than mediocre ones.

I agree, but that was my point. Hayes isn't a bad guy to overpay for, but this isn't a choice between overpaying for Calvert/Wilson and Hayes. It's a choice of whether to do it again or not.

If Hayes becomes a winger, then it's more a choice of overpaying for him or someone like Stone. I don't really see them bringing in both.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I agree, but that was my point. Hayes isn't a bad guy to overpay for, but this isn't a choice between overpaying for Calvert/Wilson and Hayes. It's a choice of whether to do it again or not.

Henchy don’t say it was a choice between the two. He was just pointing out what’s a better risk so all teams sign contracts that risk being overpays. So the question isn’t risk or no risk, it’s where do you want to take your risks.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Henchy don’t say it was a choice between the two. He was just pointing out what’s a better risk so all teams sign contracts that risk being overpays. So the question isn’t risk or no risk, it’s where do you want to take your risks.

But it is so much more fun to take what people say and miscategorize it!!!

Reactions: The Abusement Park

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
We knew Wilson was overpaid when we got him, that's why all it took was a 4th to get him. The point was that his contract wouldn't hurt our cap situation while he was here. He comes off the books right when our first big crop of RFAs is due for contracts. I have zero issues with overpaying a guy like Wilson, or even Calvert really. It's unlikely that Calvert's contract by itself is going to hurt anything while he's here, and if it does in the final year, he's moveable in the same way that Wilson was moveable for Nashville.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
But it is so much more fun to take what people say and miscategorize it!!!

Nobody miscategorized (or mischaracterized) you. You've been making an argument for why the Avs might pursue Hayes. You said, "I'd rather pay a million extra on Hayes than Calvert type personally."

There's hundreds of players that Hayes is better to overpay than. It doesn't support overpaying for Hayes in any way.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It’s all about who we’re over paying. I mean I’d rather overpay Stone or someone like than than over pay Calver or Wilson.

I'd be ok with overpaying Stone too but I wouldn't make Calvert or Wilson part of my reasoning.

If I had been making a case for trading for and signing Andrew Ladd a couple years ago (who ended up making $6M) as a pending UFA and I said I'd rather overpay him than Jarome Iginla, would that help my argument for trading for him?

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I'd be ok with overpaying Stone too but I wouldn't make that part of my reasoning.

If I had been making a case for trading for and signing Andrew Ladd a couple years ago (who ended up making $6M) as a pending UFA and I said I'd rather overpay him than Jarome Iginla, would that help my argument for trading for him?

Well no because neither of them bring the quality of play that Stone does. So that’s a weird comparison.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad