Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIX|Never Stop (Losing) Never Stopping (The Losing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
You can nit pick stats all you want to "prove" that every season is different. But bottom line is we miss the playoffs almost every year, and most years we aren't close and end up with a top 5-10 pick.

Seems like the same season to me. So I guess I'm saying that I'm sick of being a bottom 10 team that picks highly every single year but never really gets better. Didn't really matter how we get to that point, the results end up the same.
It's not nitpicking, it's just plain facts. Any other year we're bottom of the barrel in the majority of categories.

Our problem is goaltending, with a sprinkling of other things.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I agree, we should go back to talking about trading Landy for Carlo. We need a culture change

upload_2019-2-4_7-11-16.jpeg

It blows my mind how the Avs have made 0 changes during this horrid stretch. I know there is not a fix out there but this team is playing at a 55 pt pace since December!

You know there's no fix out there, but your mind is blown they aren't doing anything?

Sakic's gameplan is patience, there's nothing surprising about him letting the current roster shoot their shot. Save these comments for training camp if he hasn't done anything over the summer. With Mack's comments about recruiting this summer I think they all know next year is the year they start getting aggressive.

It sucks to have another season get pissed away, but not making a panic move now could be the best decision in the long run.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It blows my mind how the Avs have made 0 changes during this horrid stretch. I know there is not a fix out there but this team is playing at a 55 pt pace since December!

Only because you expect Sakic to ever do anything. Let go off those pipedreams and life will become a lot more...numb...
Did you already gave up on Nate Clurman?

Pretty much. Fortunately, he's gunna be in college for a hot minute, so maybe he eventually puts his potential together enough to become a real prospect again...in case he doesn't end up part of the eventual MacKinnon trade.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
View attachment 182631

You know there's no fix out there, but your mind is blown they aren't doing anything?

Sakic's gameplan is patience, there's nothing surprising about him letting the current roster shoot their shot. Save these comments for training camp if he hasn't done anything over the summer. With Mack's comments about recruiting this summer I think they all know next year is the year they start getting aggressive.

It sucks to have another season get pissed away, but not making a panic move now could be the best decision in the long run.

Not many GM's sit on their hands like Sakic does. If Sakic's plan is to let it run it's course and wait for the young guys why not start selling assets now? The team is clearly going nowhere might as well tank.

Reactions: cgf

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yeah, the time to make a move was early December when we were just starting to get into a funk. It was clear even back in December that secondary scoring was an issue still, and perhaps if Joe had been proactive on this front and went after Hayes or Bjugstad or someone earlier we might have been able to right the sinking ship.

But even then I dont think secondary scoring would have saved us from the goaltending implosion we've experienced and if anything we might have moved our first expecting to be a Top 10 team this year, and now be experiencing karma first hand as we watch that pick sink in the standings.

Nobody could have predicted our goaltending to fall as badly as it has and if anything Sakic and his patience this season has saved us from pulling the exact same mistake Ottawa made last year.

Reactions: DanglesFromDuchene

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Not many GM's sit on their hands like Sakic does. If Sakic's plan is to let it run it's course and wait for the young guys why not start selling assets now? The team is clearly going nowhere might as well tank.

Probably because the Avs just now fell out of a playoff spot and even now only sit 2 points out with a game in hand. You don't sell in that position when your group is trying to make the playoffs. Give them another two weeks of falling at this rate and it wouldn't surprise me to see some UFA's get sold off.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
Probably because the Avs just now fell out of a playoff spot and even now only sit 2 points out with a game in hand. You don't sell in that position when your group is trying to make the playoffs. Give them another two weeks of falling at this rate and it wouldn't surprise me to see some UFA's get sold off.

They are the worst team in the league since December 3rd. Sure they have just fallen out of a playoff spot but that does not change the last 2 months.

Either they are expected to be a playoff team and Sakic needs to stop the bleeding or they are going to build for the future and he needs to start selling. There is 0 benefit to continue with this current lineup and their results.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
They are the worst team in the league since December 3rd. Sure they have just fallen out of a playoff spot but that does not change the last 2 months.

Either they are expected to be a playoff team and Sakic needs to stop the bleeding or they are going to build for the future and he needs to start selling. There is 0 benefit to continue with this current lineup and their results.

Doesn't seem Sakic agrees with you just yet.

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
Grubauer + Ottawa 1st + Colorado 1st + Jost + Bowers + Kerfoot

For

Gibson + Getzlaf

Goodness, man, not a chance. I think Gibson is a phenomenal goalie, but that's an impossible bill to live up to. That's the kind of trade where, if Gibson gets injured, people are calling for Sakic's head.

I'd say he's as close to untouchable as any player in the league. Good, young goalie on a good contract. Not happening.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Goodness, man, not a chance. I think Gibson is a phenomenal goalie, but that's an impossible bill to live up to. That's the kind of trade where, if Gibson gets injured, people are calling for Sakic's head.

I'd say he's as close to untouchable as any player in the league. Good, young goalie on a good contract. Not happening.
Wait, what? You wouldn’t do that from the Avs point of view? Our biggest weakness is goaltending and secondary scoring. This trade gets us arguably the most valuable goaltender in the NHL and a star #1C who would play on our second line all while giving up only Kerfoot from our roster.

I know Getzlaf is getting older and those draft picks/prospects are big pieces but we’d have to strike an absolute miracle to get a goalie as good as Gibson and a C as good as Getzlaf from those pieces.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
I think we might need to invest in drafting and developing some goalies instead of bandaid trades that'll help for a couple seasons.
It may take a while but once you get a good one your set.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Yeah, no way I do that deal. I love Gibson but it's just too much. Maybe if there was more coming back. Or if Getzlaf was like 28-29 and not soon to be 34.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad