Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIX|Never Stop (Losing) Never Stopping (The Losing)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Erik Karlsson
Brent Burns
Oliver Ekman-Larsson
Kris Letang
Dougie Hamilton
John Klingberg

Just listing a few more elite offensive Defenders that are below average defensively. Are they also all 2nd pairing Defenders?

Obviously, not all.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

How does a trade involving a good top four defenseman have any impact on the market for a terrible defenseman?

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
From the previous thread

Why cant we trade him for a top 6 winger?

I want my defensemen to actually be able to play defense first. Scoring is secondary.

Barrie is horrendous defensively. I can't get the image of Tkachuk abusing Barrie that led to 2 goals.

Barrie, Girard and Makar on the same group? Lord help us.

You must loooooooooove the Oilers defense if this is your attitude.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Makes sense.
Yep. Lowers the cap hit by giving a few extra years (plus the security of signing a year early) and we get to keep our best defenseman. Glad to see you’re finally starting to wrap your head around it!

I predict 8 years at 6M per year. Far less than market value on AAV but crazy security.

Reactions: cgf

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
Yep. Lowers the cap hit by giving a few extra years (plus the security of signing a year early) and we get to keep our best defenseman. Glad to see you’re finally starting to wrap your head around it!

I predict 8 years at 6M per year. Far less than market value on AAV but crazy security.

Again, makes sense... quite realistic.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Barrie is 9th in PPG by defensemen. 72nd in the NHL as a whole. There are a total of 27 listed wingers higher than Barrie right now. To me, production out of a defensemen means more to me than production out of a winger, but if you're wanting a top 6 wing to trade Barrie for, you better aim higher... You need a legit 1st line wing and really a top end one to have similar offensive production. If you're just getting a 2nd line wing... you are performing some horrific asset management.

Barrie might end up costing $8m per on his next deal (though I think 7s is much more likely), and that sounds high... but we are nearing a world with 2 11+m per defensemen and when Barrie's next contract kicks in a third 10m guy.

Reactions: S3rkie and cgf

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Barrie's a great player, he does things that no one else on the Avs can currently do, and they'll miss him a lot if he's traded. However, I can't forget last year's playoffs when we got somewhat of an extended look at him as the guy on defense. It's not only about one player and I'm not saying EJ can be the guy either but that playoff series, even though it's a small sample size, convinced me you can't have him as your #1 D when it matters most. I'm not even exaggerating when I say he was willingly giving the puck away at times just so he wouldn't get hit. I've said many times I don't know what the right call is when it comes time to make the big decision but the thought of Barrie at ~$8-9M/yr, which might even be too low on the open market, terrifies me.

Now, back to other stuff instead of beating the dead horse.

Reactions: milehigh11

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Dreger just said on 1200 we may be pushing to re-sign Dzingel. Apparently the feeling has "shifted a little bit."

^ from the Sens board. So did contract talks fall apart with Duchene or Stone for Melnyk to break out the wallet for Dzingel?

Iceberg

May 4, 2002
There is what you want to happen, and there is what you think will happen.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
I'm pretty surprised by all the reaction that so few think Barrie will actually be dealt.

To me it's as obvious as when the Avs were going to trade ROR. I guess there were people who wouldn't believe it back then either.

I'll be absolutely SHOCKED if Barrie is still an Avalanche past mid-July.

I think people will see this the wrong way, that I don't like Barrie which is far from the truth because I think he's a really good component on this team. I think it would be a bit different if Makar was struggling in college but he's pretty much bitch slappin' the NCAA...he's definitely trending in the right direction.

So yeah, in that sense it's a bit of a risk because you don't know how well or how fast he'll adjust to the NHL but if the Avs aren't going to re-sign Barrie for $7M+ long-term, the time to move on from him will be between now and this summer.

I don't think Sakic will go for a futures package though, this will be a hockey trade to bring in an established player.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I'm pretty surprised by all the reaction that so few think Barrie will actually be dealt.

To me it's as obvious as when the Avs were going to trade ROR. I guess there were people who wouldn't believe it back then either.

I'll be absolutely SHOCKED if Barrie is still an Avalanche past mid-July.

I think people will see this the wrong way, that I don't like Barrie which is far from the truth because I think he's a really good component on this team. I think it would be a bit different if Makar was struggling in college but he's pretty much ***** slappin' the NCAA...he's definitely trending in the right direction.

So yeah, in that sense it's a bit of a risk because you don't know how well or how fast he'll adjust to the NHL but if the Avs aren't going to re-sign Barrie for $7M+ long-term, the time to move on from him will be between now and this summer.

I don't think Sakic will go for a futures package though, this will be a hockey trade to bring in an established player.
If the FO won’t pay Barrie 7per then we’re f***ed no matter what, so I guess we can stop caring about what they do? #silverlining?

S3rkie

Jul 21, 2011
Denver, CO
^ from the Sens board. So did contract talks fall apart with Duchene or Stone for Melnyk to break out the wallet for Dzingel?
Duchene is going to see whats out there he'd be dumb not to at this point. I could see him circling back and ending up staying there though esp if Stone re-signs. I just wonder if Dorion is dumb enough to risk him walking for nothing.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Yeah if the Avs are willing to move away from Barrie as a top end offensive defensemen for the endless cycle of relying on young, unproven players... then we can at least start to accept that we are the West's version of the Panthers.

Reactions: Avs44 and S3rkie

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Things can change quickly in any negotiation and even more so when dealing with Melnyk but there seems a lot of optimism surrounding Stone. Then again, there was optimism around Duchene as well for a bit recently and now not as much.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad