Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIII| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Greer definitely needs all the time in the AHL he can get. Best case scenario is he goes PPG in the AHL, and than he'll be a consistent ~30-40 point player moving forward as a 3rd line staple.

If he can't put up at least a ~50 point season in the AHL I don't think he has enough offense in him to be anything more than a 4th line energy guy, similar to Calvert. To put it in perspective, Calvert played three seasons in the AHL, with the following numbers:

25 points in 38 games
36 points in 56 games
21 points in 34 games

... and we see the type of offense he brings.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I like Tuch, but it's more of a cautious positive impression more than thinking he's a slam dunk second liner going forward.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
I hope it doesn't take another frickin' year to get Greer on the main roster. I get that he had a not-great preseason but geez, c'mon already. He should be on the roster this season at SOME point or give him a chance elsewhere, enough of this.

I like the aggressiveness of his game and his forecheck, and therefore have no issue with them finding a spot for him on the 4th line. I originally asked the question, because IMO he shown hands of stone when he has been in the NHL. Nowhere near good enough for 2nd line, or even 3rd line duty on a winning NHL team.

I also asked because he hasn't been able to crack the lineup out of camp, and the Avs keep picking up waiver wire guys to play those depth forward positions.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
If the first line is going to continue to play like this and the goal tending is at an elite level, I might be okay with Sakic trying to make a big move to bring in a forward to anchor the second line, preferably a center. I could be okay with the two firsts and players like Jost or Kerfoot thrown in. I suppose it is still easier said than done and I am not sure that Sakic has a particularly aggressive mindset. I just hate to waste a line playing like this with elite level goal tending.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I've never been much of an A.J. Greer fan, so I'm already a bit biased, but as of this moment I don't see an effective NHL player.

That could change, as he's still so young being 21 years old. But I don't see positive signs. He's definitely not going to be a top-6 NHLer, and I don't know if he has enough offense in him to be a 3rd line sort.

Can he be a 4th liner? Probably. But given how our team is built right now, it's speed, speed, and more speed. Greer's skating isn't the greatest, so I don't know how well he fits this team moving forward.

Reactions: RareDangles

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
If the first line is going to continue to play like this and the goal tending is at an elite level, I might be okay with Sakic trying to make a big move to bring in a forward to anchor the second line, preferably a center. I could be okay with the two firsts and players like Jost or Kerfoot thrown in. I suppose it is still easier said than done and I am not sure that Sakic has a particularly aggressive mindset. I just hate to waste a line playing like this with elite level goal tending.

Panarin. Columbus connection.

Avs44

May 16, 2011
We ain't accomplished nothin' yet. Stay the course.

They aren't going to accomplish anything particularly meaningful (e.g. in the playoffs) with their bottom nine group as is - and waiting for prospects to develop (which could take many years...) is just going to waste the time of MacK, Rants, Landeskog, EJ, Barrie, etc. I'm not saying go do something stupid, but Sakic absolutely should be looking for secondary scoring right now.

Panarin. Columbus connection.

Ah, but the Columbus connection is only relevant to guys Bednar coached, or that MacFarland was familiar with when he was at CBJ :thumbu:

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They aren't going to accomplish anything particularly meaningful (e.g. in the playoffs) with their bottom nine group as is - and waiting for prospects to develop (which could take many years...) is just going to waste the time of MacK, Rants, Landeskog, EJ, Barrie, etc. I'm not saying go do something stupid, but Sakic absolutely should be looking for secondary scoring right now.

Good heavens, they're prospects, not wine. :laugh:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Who would you have liked the Avs to get this offseason?

Please point out where I was discussing the offseason in my post - or the post I was referencing that started the topic in this thread (Goulet's)?

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Who would you have liked the Avs to get this offseason?

O'Reilly, especially for what they paid. Then probably Skinner, but with a clear path to an extension.

None of the UFA wingers were going to be a great idea unless they took rare reasonable contracts. I'm not really sure I would have liked Staz's contract, but I probably wouldn't have cried either.

Reactions: Cousin Eddie

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Okay, let me rephrase, which players do you think the Avs should possibly be targeting?

We're ~8 games in around the league - there are no rumours this early - and I'm hardy an insider privy to what GMs are thinking. But quality players moving at some point in a season is hardly unheard of, it happens every year. The Avs need their equivalent of what the Kings did with Richards / Carter. I'm not suggesting two adds or something of that sort, or specifically that calibre of player, but I'm not sure why suggesting that - at some point this year - Sakic should be looking to address secondary scoring and add a quality top six forward is such a contentious issue for you.

Reactions: arun and Pokecheque

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
We're ~8 games in around the league - there are no rumours this early - and I'm hardy an insider privy to what GMs are thinking. But quality players moving at some point in a season is hardly unheard of, it happens every year. The Avs need their equivalent of what the Kings did with Richards / Carter. I'm not suggesting two adds or something of that sort, or specifically that calibre of player, but I'm not sure why suggesting that - at some point this year - Sakic should be looking to address secondary scoring and add a quality top six forward is such a contentious issue for you.

"Asset management"

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I think the time to start making big moves is this upcoming summer. Lock up Mikko and go big game hunting, smartly though. Don't start throwing around Makar or some ridiculous shit like that.

Reactions: Murzu

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I think the time to start making big moves is this upcoming summer. Lock up Mikko and go big game hunting, smartly though. Don't start throwing around Makar or some ridiculous **** like that.

I know it costs currency to do it, but I hope they can swing a longer term move between January and the TDL if the team is in the right position, and deserves it. I wouldn't advocate for a pure rental at almost any point though.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I know it costs currency to do it, but I hope they can swing a longer term move between January and the TDL if the team is in the right position, and deserves it. I wouldn't advocate for a pure rental at almost any point though.
Yeah, would have to be the perfect fit though.

I really think ROR woulda been amazing, although I question how much I'd want to bring him chemistry wise. Locker room seems to be very tight knit so I don't know how bringing back a core guy from the horror years would go.

Reactions: McMetal

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Yeah, would have to be the perfect fit though.

I really think ROR woulda been amazing, although I question how much I'd want to bring him chemistry wise. Locker room seems to be very tight knit so I don't know how bringing back a core guy from the horror years would go.

Yeah Sakic would have had to do due diligence, but MacK was close to both him and Staz when they left. Who knows, but on the ice the fit would have been amazing.

That's a loaded term around these parts.

Yeah that was the intent lol

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
I think the time to start making big moves is this upcoming summer. Lock up Mikko and go big game hunting, smartly though. Don't start throwing around Makar or some ridiculous **** like that.

Basically if Jost doesn't start looking like he could be a legit NHL top-six centre (and he probably won't this year cos he still looks too weak), I'd say that we have to think about moving a first rounder assuming it's not a high one.

I mean the Blues got f***ing Brayden Schenn for Lehtera, a 27th overall pick, and a conditional, that would be a perfect move for us if a centre who's around his mid-late 20s.

Either way, Sakic has to be a bit ballsy and make a move for another top-sixer whether he's a winger like Stone or a centre because we don't have anything coming up to step into that role.

Reactions: Foppberg

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
O'Reilly, especially for what they paid. Then probably Skinner, but with a clear path to an extension.

None of the UFA wingers were going to be a great idea unless they took rare reasonable contracts. I'm not really sure I would have liked Staz's contract, but I probably wouldn't have cried either.

O'Reilly? No thanks. We've been down that road and have seen how he is in the locker room. He cares more about himself than the team. You can't win with players like him.

Skinner? No thanks. Kerfoot has identical stats and isn't one of the worst defensive players in the league.

Next years class is far superior to this years. Let our young guys develop, add a 2nd line winger at the deadline and sign a top forward in the summer.

FORWARDS

Artemi Panarin, LW, CBJ

Joe Pavelski, C/RW, SJS

Wayne Simmonds, RW, PHI

Anders Lee, LW, NYI

Jordan Eberle, RW, NYI

Yanni Gourde, C/RW, TBL

Derick Brassard, C, PIT

Mats Zuccarello, RW, NYR

Jakob Silfverberg, RW, ANA

Reactions: New Scotlander

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
O'Reilly? No thanks. We've been down that road and have seen how he is in the locker room. He cares more about himself than the team. You can't win with players like him.

Skinner? No thanks. Kerfoot has identical stats and isn't one of the worst defensive players in the league.

Next years class is far superior to this years. Let our young guys develop, add a 2nd line winger at the deadline and sign a top forward in the summer.

FORWARDS

Artemi Panarin, LW, CBJ

Joe Pavelski, C/RW, SJS

Wayne Simmonds, RW, PHI

Anders Lee, LW, NYI

Jordan Eberle, RW, NYI

Yanni Gourde, C/RW, TBL

Derick Brassard, C, PIT

Mats Zuccarello, RW, NYR

Jakob Silfverberg, RW, ANA
Lol. Skinner is a much better player than Kerfoot. How can you even compare the two?

Also, I doubt Pavelski leaves San Jose. Same goes for Lee in New York. Panarin has already apparently made it clear it's either L.A/NYR/CHI/TB/FLA if (when) he doesn't re-sign in Columbus.

So, what's left? 31 year old Wayne Simmonds, 32 year old Derrick Brassard, 32 year old Mats Zuccarello, Jordan Eberle, Yanni Gourde, and Jakob Silfverberg.

And that's assuming all of those players leave their teams for free agency. I don't see Zuccarello leaving the Rangers, and if the Islanders offer Eberle good enough money I can't see him leaving, either.

I'd be happy with Silfverberg but that's a long shot competing with so many teams for his services, including the Ducks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad