Rumor: Avs Proposals/Rumors/Free Agents 18-19 part XIII| Trade Everyone!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
From the last thread.

Yeah I agree that ideally Barrie isn't a top PP guy. He can fill the role fine on a team, but he's honestly more of a #2 guy in an ideal world. What makes Barrie special is his ability to produce at ES... as a top PP option he probably won't consistently net you much more than 20 consistently. When it is clicking like it did last year, I think he can pop more, but he ideally isn't your top PP QB... he is much better than EJ there though.

This is interesting, because you're much more of a Barrie fan, and less of an EJ fan than I am, and I would have agreed with you before last year, but Barrie actually turned himself into a very good PP QB last season.

I think some of that is due to the coaching staff and their setups, but Barrie also really improved his ability to distribute the puck from the point, and get pucks through on his shots. Before last year his passes weren't as accurate, and he was almost as bad as EJ at hitting shin pads.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Honestly I'm more of an EJ fan than a Barrie fan, I prefer 2 way defenders. However I don't want either one gone, each bring their own game and we're a much more potent team when both are healthy and playing their game.

Unless Timmins/Makar both come in and become legitimate NHLers, then we shouldn't be thinking of trading Barrie, you don't trade elite talent because you have prospects in the minors that you think will make him expendable.

The Barrie talk reminds me back when the Kings had Quick and Bernier, I remember reading on here, and among King fans that Bernier is the future, and while Quick is a good player now he's not our future. In hindsight it looks foolish because of how Bernier ended up developing, which I think is a good reminder of anyone pegging in Makar/Timmins too quickly.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I will admit, Barrie has become a much better weapon on the PP thanks to an improving shot. He can get it through now, low and on target, and that means teams have to respect it or pay. I still like Girard better, because I think his shot is underrated and will improve, but credit to Barrie where it's due.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
There shouldn't be any trouble fitting Mackinnon at max, Rantanen at 8-9M, Barrie at 7-8M. Why are we discussing trading him? For the expansion draft there are options, such as letting Zadorov go or going with the eight player protection route.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
There shouldn't be any trouble fitting Mackinnon at max, Rantanen at 8-9M, Barrie at 7-8M. Why are we discussing trading him? For the expansion draft there are options, such as letting Zadorov go or going with the eight player protection route.

Hmm that is an interesting id-

tenor.gif

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
One reason I like Girard more than Barrie on the PP is that he is much better at getting out of tight spots and therefore creating less turnovers/short-handed situations.
He will have to do something about his sticks though. They break way too often on one-timer. Already happened once in preseason.

Reactions: Patagonia

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

Until the expansion rules get clarified, I don't think it is worth getting too up in arms about. We don't know how players will progress/regress over the next two or three seasons. Barrie could blow out both knees Thursday and render this all pointless.

Reactions: MacBradley

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
There are also likely to be additions in the next couple years. Potentially expensive ones as well, such as a top six winger or center. People are way too confident that the Avs will be in great shape cap wise down the road. There's simply no way to know what their cap situation will be.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
There are also likely to be additions in the next couple years. Potentially expensive ones as well, such as a top six winger or center. People are way too confident that the Avs will be in great shape cap wise down the road. There's simply no way to know what their cap situation will be.

Unless a Tavares calibre player falls into our laps in free agency, we should be fine. Not to mention a rising cap.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Unless a Tavares calibre player falls into our laps in free agency, we should be fine. Not to mention a rising cap.

There could be many scenarios that involve the Avs being a tight cap team, without adding an $11M player. We don't know what their plans are, or even what their plan B's and C's are. They only have 6 players under contract in 2020. Only 2 in 2021.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
There could be many scenarios that involve the Avs being a tight cap team, without adding an $11M player. We don't know what their plans are, or even what their plan B's and C's are. They only have 6 players under contract in 2020. Only 2 in 2021.
Not unless we overpay multiple times in free agency and all our guys hit their potential and need pricey contracts.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Not unless we overpay multiple times in free agency and all our guys hit their potential and need pricey contracts.

The Avs are no different than any other team. If they build a competitive team with good players, they're going to have to pay for them.

Reactions: MarkT

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ugh this conversation again where fake scenarios get generated to suggest somehow the Avs are in cap trouble :laugh:

How is that different than fake scenarios that show the Avs will be just fine?

Again, the Avs have 6 players under contract in 2020, and 2 in 2021. No one knows what their cap situation will be in the future.

Reactions: MarkT and Tommy G

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Honestly I'm more of an EJ fan than a Barrie fan, I prefer 2 way defenders. However I don't want either one gone, each bring their own game and we're a much more potent team when both are healthy and playing their game.

Unless Timmins/Makar both come in and become legitimate NHLers, then we shouldn't be thinking of trading Barrie, you don't trade elite talent because you have prospects in the minors that you think will make him expendable.

The Barrie talk reminds me back when the Kings had Quick and Bernier, I remember reading on here, and among King fans that Bernier is the future, and while Quick is a good player now he's not our future. In hindsight it looks foolish because of how Bernier ended up developing, which I think is a good reminder of anyone pegging in Makar/Timmins too quickly.

I suspect a lot of people here think of me as a representative of the "trade Barrie" group, but I absolutely agree with all of this. No way do I want Barrie traded unless someone else shows they can completely take on his role (or two guys show they can share it and be effective). You remove Barrie from our defensive core with no one to replace him and the team will really struggle to move the puck in key situations.

lonelybadger

Feb 22, 2013
Toronto
I would go after Nick Ritchie with the Ducks. Still has not signed, weighs over 200 pounds. He has to be good! Or Josh Leivo when Nylander signs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad