Post-Game Talk: Aves @ Sharkes 2 PM MST || In theory, we can win this. In theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Since our PP is a mess, it's hard to analyze it properly. I'm not even sure if we use an umbrella or not. But we fail to keep the puck at the blue line all the time because we have one defender stuck in the middle. Even weak clearing attempts beat us.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Since our PP is a mess, it's hard to analyze it properly. I'm not even sure if we use an umbrella or not. But we fail to keep the puck at the blue line all the time because we have one defender stuck in the middle. Even weak clearing attempts beat us.

We don't appear to have one set structure. Sacco has two different units with two different approaches, one dumps and chases the other tries to break in with slick passing. Neither works particularly well, dumps we never get to first and our passes are always sloppy. The worst part is our shooting to be honest, we don't generate any chance for rebounds because we overpass or cant hold the zone.

I miss O'Reilly, McClement and the old Hejduk. Why cant Hejduk shoot anymore?!

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Finally saw the hit. Anyone who says it's not worthy of a Shanaban is talking out of their ass.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-p...abriel-landeskog-shanaban-222419287--nhl.html

He clearly targets the head and leaves his feet to deliver the hit.

Please show where he left his feet. When he makes contact with Landy, his feet are still on the ice although he's "exploding" up into the hit(how you're supposed to hit). If Stuart gets a suspension, it'll be a single game and because the principal point of contact was the head. And even that is borderline. His elbow and arm were down(once again until after the hit due to this thing called physics)and he was going full body to body and maybe caught his head first.

Typical game against the Sharks. Play well for a bit, fall behind, and fall apart. McGinn needs to sit in the press box or spend some time with mcleod and brody or something. He was not only his typical terrible self in the offensive zone, but in the defensive zone as well. His passes were absolute crap and he had way too many turnovers. He's not working hard along the boards either, so many a message needs to be sent. EJ, other than than on the PK, once again, had a fantastic game. Great to see him starting to (knock on wood) come into his own and play like we all know he's capable of.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Please show where he left his feet. When he makes contact with Landy, his feet are still on the ice although he's "exploding" up into the hit(how you're supposed to hit). If Stuart gets a suspension, it'll be a single game and because the principal point of contact was the head. And even that is borderline. His elbow and arm were down(once again until after the hit due to this thing called physics)and he was going full body to body and maybe caught his head first.

If the league is serious about getting rid of hits like this, then they need to do something about it. Again, he clearly targeted the head.

And no, you are not supposed to explode upwards.

adater @adater

Landeskog called the hit on him "clean", though he hadn't seen replay.

Guess we'll see. Landy's a class act, he's not the kind of player to whine about a hit afterwards. It's up to Shanahan's office, not the player himself.

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
If the league is serious about getting rid of hits like this, then they need to do something about it. Again, he clearly targeted the head.

And no, you are not supposed to explode upwards.

Guess we'll see. Landy's a class act, he's not the kind of player to whine about a hit afterwards. It's up to Shanahan's office, not the player himself.

I'm with you.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
I think the avs need a shakeup after this loss. Frankly, their other three games haven't been so great either...outplayed by Columbus and LA for large swaths of the game. Duchene should be moved with Jones and McGinn, Stastny with Landeskog and Parenteau. Stastny needs all the help he can get and Duchene is basically a one man show out there anyway, Mcginn doing nothing wouldn't affect his game much.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
I think the avs need a shakeup after this loss. Frankly, their other three games haven't been so great either...outplayed by Columbus and LA for large swaths of the game. Duchene should be moved with Jones and McGinn, Stastny with Landeskog and Parenteau. Stastny needs all the help he can get and Duchene is basically a one man show out there anyway, Mcginn doing nothing wouldn't affect his game much.

:laugh:

You really want Duchene back to his habits of not trusting his teammates and attacking by himself. All those useless spins and holding the puck for far too long? Yeah, no thanks. MD has never been good with Jones, why expect anything to be different now?

If Stastny can't going with Jones and McGinn then he will never get back to where he was, a couple of years ago. Not to mention PAP and Stastny are both passers leaving just Landy to shoot.

Now this is all after 3 games? Let's not go full Pejorative Slur.

I do agree tho, the avs wins haven't been impressive.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Disagree you don't take PAP away from Duchene, they are working well together. What I would like to see is a McGinn and Landeskog switch. Stastny and Landeskog would work well together. And I could see McGinn being a wrecking ball for Duchene and PAP. I would also consider putting Hejduk with Stastny has they have played well together in the past and put Jones down with Mitchell.

Honestly I'm not a Jones fan, I'd consider trading him along with a dman for an upgrade on defense.

justinboo*

the guys head was down plain and simple. its his own fault, had it been up there would be no discussion.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
This board has happily cheered when Wilson steps up on a guy. Can't get all that upset when it happens to one our ours.

Landeskog getting caught on a Sharks player so he got slightly turned before it happened probably made him easier to catch for Stuart.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
The Avs are terrible at over coming things like this. But I guess most teams are.

Avs have no life at all. Not really putting any effort in.

This is where McLeod SHOULD fight. Or Bordy. Doubt the Sharks would oblige though.

Seriously, why does this team never fight back? Things don't go their way and instead of turning up the energy, they just turn to mush.

I saw this coming. Doesn't mean I wasn't hoping for a different outcome, but I saw it coming.

What's driving me crazy is how absolutely deflated this team gets once they get a few goals scored on them. We are definitely missing that winners drive & attitude.

Some quotes from the thread now that I've had time to go through it all.

Here is THE actual issue. You guys are absolutely right that the Avs had no life at all after the hit and that we are terrible at 'overcoming things like this'.

The reason? Our coach is a GIANT WUSS.

He doesn't want to ruffle any feathers, so he bends over and takes it. He has a guy that is 6'6" and 230lbs on the bench that would love nothing better than to grab the first shark in sight and start pounding relentlessly but no, let's not retaliate, let's try to win the game.

At some point, you have to say **** the 2 points and take a stand and let Bordeleau just start wailing on someone's head, just to say...'HEY *******S, you want to take liberties on our guys?? Well, HERE'S THE ****ING CONSEQUENCES!!!"

And you know what? It doesn't matter if Bordeleau gets 5+2 and a game misconduct and a suspension and we lose the game by even more. It really just doesn't matter. What matters is THE STATEMENT, it HAS to be made and it has to have an impact.

Think I'm nuts? There is no way Crawford, Hartley or Quenneville wouldn't have done something close to what I'm suggesting. Hell, I saw Dean Chynoweth do it with Bordeleau earlier this year in the AHL after a cheap hit on Barrie AND it was the right move (albeit a little too late in the game for my taste). Lake Erie didn't win the game but they showed the Rockford Icehogs that if they're going to take cheap shots on our guys, that we're not just going to sit there and say "thank you sir, may I have another", there's going to be an angry monster coming for you and you better be ready to eat some chicklets.

Unfortunately, Sacco ALWAYS turns the other cheek, I don't know why, maybe he's afraid to get into a shouting match with the coach from the other team? The guys on our bench are always expecting such a response and the message between the period is probably 'let's keep our composure' or something stupid like that and it ends up deflating the entire team.

It's the same thing for bad penalties against our team. Sacco never says anything. We keep getting screwed over and over and over and apparently, he loves it so the refs keep giving it to him. There is a reason why we have the lowest amount of powerplays in the NHL.

Apparently, he wants our team to be hard to play against. Well that was about as easy a game + shutout I've ever seen from another team. Since you DIDN'T take a stand Sacco and you just let them run us over with no real consequence, what do you think the San Jose Sharks are going to do the next time they play us to get the win?? :shakehead

Absolute pathetic excuse for a coach.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Avs just aren't a roster built to deal with San Jose. Too much size and talent up front for the Avs defense to contain.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Disagree you don't take PAP away from Duchene, they are working well together. What I would like to see is a McGinn and Landeskog switch. Stastny and Landeskog would work well together. And I could see McGinn being a wrecking ball for Duchene and PAP. I would also consider putting Hejduk with Stastny has they have played well together in the past and put Jones down with Mitchell.

Honestly I'm not a Jones fan, I'd consider trading him along with a dman for an upgrade on defense.

Olver-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-Stastny-Hejduk
Mcginn-Mitchell-Jones

I like what I've seen of Olver, I would think he could make something happen given a top line role. I happen to be a Jones defender, I just think he needs better linemates. In fact I think the entire team needs better linemates.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Olver-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-Stastny-Hejduk
Mcginn-Mitchell-Jones

I like what I've seen of Olver, I would think he could make something happen given a top line role. I happen to be a Jones defender, I just think he needs better linemates. In fact I think the entire team needs better linemates.

If you are going to put Olver on the top line, you might as well call up Sgarbossa instead. I like Olver but he should never, in any situation, play on the top 2 lines. He is a hustle player, that can be annoying, kind of like a Dan Hinote.

How about:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-Stastny-Sgarbossa

(We need a bit more offensive firepower in the top 6 and Sgarbossa is an offensive player that could help.)

Jones-Mitchell-Hejduk (not a bad 3rd line)
McCleod-Olver-Kobasew

I'm not big on Borderleau, he is kind of like Koci and could be used instead of Kobasew on nights we thought we needed an enforcer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad