Post-Game Talk: Aves @ Sharkes 2 PM MST || In theory, we can win this. In theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
Some quotes from the thread now that I've had time to go through it all.

Here is THE actual issue. You guys are absolutely right that the Avs had no life at all after the hit and that we are terrible at 'overcoming things like this'.

The reason? Our coach is a GIANT WUSS.

He doesn't want to ruffle any feathers, so he bends over and takes it. He has a guy that is 6'6" and 230lbs on the bench that would love nothing better than to grab the first shark in sight and start pounding relentlessly but no, let's not retaliate, let's try to win the game.

At some point, you have to say **** the 2 points and take a stand and let Bordeleau just start wailing on someone's head, just to say...'HEY *******S, you want to take liberties on our guys?? Well, HERE'S THE ****ING CONSEQUENCES!!!"

And you know what? It doesn't matter if Bordeleau gets 5+2 and a game misconduct and a suspension and we lose the game by even more. It really just doesn't matter. What matters is THE STATEMENT, it HAS to be made and it has to have an impact.

Think I'm nuts? There is no way Crawford, Hartley or Quenneville wouldn't have done something close to what I'm suggesting. Hell, I saw Dean Chynoweth do it with Bordeleau earlier this year in the AHL after a cheap hit on Barrie AND it was the right move (albeit a little too late in the game for my taste). Lake Erie didn't win the game but they showed the Rockford Icehogs that if they're going to take cheap shots on our guys, that we're not just going to sit there and say "thank you sir, may I have another", there's going to be an angry monster coming for you and you better be ready to eat some chicklets.

Unfortunately, Sacco ALWAYS turns the other cheek, I don't know why, maybe he's afraid to get into a shouting match with the coach from the other team? The guys on our bench are always expecting such a response and the message between the period is probably 'let's keep our composure' or something stupid like that and it ends up deflating the entire team.

It's the same thing for bad penalties against our team. Sacco never says anything. We keep getting screwed over and over and over and apparently, he loves it so the refs keep giving it to him. There is a reason why we have the lowest amount of powerplays in the NHL.

Apparently, he wants our team to be hard to play against. Well that was about as easy a game + shutout I've ever seen from another team. Since you DIDN'T take a stand Sacco and you just let them run us over with no real consequence, what do you think the San Jose Sharks are going to do the next time they play us to get the win?? :shakehead

Absolute pathetic excuse for a coach.

O'Byrnes retaliation was perfect and powerful, the Avs lost to a better team.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Some quotes from the thread now that I've had time to go through it all.

Here is THE actual issue. You guys are absolutely right that the Avs had no life at all after the hit and that we are terrible at 'overcoming things like this'.

The reason? Our coach is a GIANT WUSS.

He doesn't want to ruffle any feathers, so he bends over and takes it. He has a guy that is 6'6" and 230lbs on the bench that would love nothing better than to grab the first shark in sight and start pounding relentlessly but no, let's not retaliate, let's try to win the game.

At some point, you have to say **** the 2 points and take a stand and let Bordeleau just start wailing on someone's head, just to say...'HEY *******S, you want to take liberties on our guys?? Well, HERE'S THE ****ING CONSEQUENCES!!!"

And you know what? It doesn't matter if Bordeleau gets 5+2 and a game misconduct and a suspension and we lose the game by even more. It really just doesn't matter. What matters is THE STATEMENT, it HAS to be made and it has to have an impact.

Think I'm nuts? There is no way Crawford, Hartley or Quenneville wouldn't have done something close to what I'm suggesting. Hell, I saw Dean Chynoweth do it with Bordeleau earlier this year in the AHL after a cheap hit on Barrie AND it was the right move (albeit a little too late in the game for my taste). Lake Erie didn't win the game but they showed the Rockford Icehogs that if they're going to take cheap shots on our guys, that we're not just going to sit there and say "thank you sir, may I have another", there's going to be an angry monster coming for you and you better be ready to eat some chicklets.

Unfortunately, Sacco ALWAYS turns the other cheek, I don't know why, maybe he's afraid to get into a shouting match with the coach from the other team? The guys on our bench are always expecting such a response and the message between the period is probably 'let's keep our composure' or something stupid like that and it ends up deflating the entire team.

It's the same thing for bad penalties against our team. Sacco never says anything. We keep getting screwed over and over and over and apparently, he loves it so the refs keep giving it to him. There is a reason why we have the lowest amount of powerplays in the NHL.

Apparently, he wants our team to be hard to play against. Well that was about as easy a game + shutout I've ever seen from another team. Since you DIDN'T take a stand Sacco and you just let them run us over with no real consequence, what do you think the San Jose Sharks are going to do the next time they play us to get the win?? :shakehead

Absolute pathetic excuse for a coach.

The problem is that if you keep looking down the bench, the Sharks would win any physical match ups.

But to start the 2nd, McLeod or Bordy needed to start something to wake them up. Like I said, the Sharks likely wouldn't have obliged and for good reason. The Avs were already looking forward to the trip to Edmonton at that point.

I give credit to the Sharks. Elite team but poor goaltending is their achilles heel IMO.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I'm not sure what Avs challenging Sharks players or running guys would have accomplished. Sharks are way too solid to let that get to them or rattle them. Notice how they always have five guys in the right place and pretty much never take penalties when they have a lead against the Avs. This goes back several years.

They are a veteran team that knows how to sit on a lead.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Hartnell fights all the time sporting his visor, I don't recall a time he ever got the extra instigator, or an instigator for that matter.

I think it's part of the "call it by the book" thing they have going this year.

Leidi J

Jan 28, 2012
Columbus, Ohio
Hartnell fights all the time sporting his visor, I don't recall a time he ever got the extra instigator, or an instigator for that matter.

you don't get a penalty just for fighting with a visor. Stuart was wearing one too. You get the penalty only if you also get the instigator... since o'byrne instigated the fight and was wearing the visor he got both. they go hand in hand.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
you don't get a penalty just for fighting with a visor. Stuart was wearing one too. You get the penalty only if you also get the instigator... since o'byrne instigated the fight and was wearing the visor he got both. they go hand in hand.

I understand the rules just fine. Hartnell has clearly instigated fights while wearing the visor (also, it should be noted that he also throws punches without dropping the gloves) and has never gotten dinged with the instigator/visor rule.

eldiablo17

Aug 22, 2007
I understand the rules just fine. Hartnell has clearly instigated fights while wearing the visor (also, it should be noted that he also throws punches without dropping the gloves) and has never gotten dinged with the instigator/visor rule.

Apologies since I dislike the idea of coming into another team's forum, but since 2010/2011 Hartnell has only been dinged with one instigator penalty. Opening night 2010. He got an unsportsmanlike with it which I can only assume was for the visor, so that example doesn't really hold up.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011

it is only being enforced starting this season ... so unless he has done so in their 3 games played this year (which he has not) he would not have been penalized as noted

member 116861

BBpYuOFCcAAH_IO.jpg

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Apologies since I dislike the idea of coming into another team's forum, but since 2010/2011 Hartnell has only been dinged with one instigator penalty. Opening night 2010. He got an unsportsmanlike with it which I can only assume was for the visor, so that example doesn't really hold up.

Okay, fine. He was dinged with it ONCE. You can't seriously believe that's the only time he's done it.

I understand the refs are trying to go 'by the book' and if they stay consistent I'm fine with what they levied against O'Byrne. But like they did on obstruction calls, I'm sure they'll go back to being as arbitrary as they ever were.

avs1dacup

Jan 25, 2003
Denver, CO
Visit site
Okay, fine. He was dinged with it ONCE. You can't seriously believe that's the only time he's done it.

I understand the refs are trying to go 'by the book' and if they stay consistent I'm fine with what they levied against O'Byrne. But like they did on obstruction calls, I'm sure they'll go back to being as arbitrary as they ever were.

Hartnell has had 4 instigator penalties while in the NHL. 10/9/2010. 1/13/2007. 1/25/2004. 4/6/2002. Guess how many unsportsmanlike penalties he's had due to those? 4. Guess what they were for? Instigating with a face shield. It's not arbitrary. When it happens, they call it. It just never happens. It's NOT fighting with a face shield. That's perfectly within the rules. If a player gets an instigator penalty and they fought with their shield, they get the unsportsmanlike as well.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
1.) No posts of Johnny Malkin's face should be allowed on here for a month.
2.) Instigator rule is by the book and we can agree to that but we can also agree that it's a damn stupid rule and needs to change. There's usually a fight after a big hit now. Sometimes the instigator gets called and sometimes not, it's inconsistent. Take out the instigator rule.
3.) Other teams are gonna be pitching offers to Patric Roy soon. I'd be po'd if he ends up going to Buffalo for example or Washington before we even make another offer. Stupid Sherman.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad