Post-Game Talk: Aves @ Sharkes 2 PM MST || In theory, we can win this. In theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If you are going to put Olver on the top line, you might as well call up Sgarbossa instead. I like Olver but he should never, in any situation, play on the top 2 lines. He is a hustle player, that can be annoying, kind of like a Dan Hinote.

How about:

McGinn-Duchene-PAP
Landeskog-Stastny-Sgarbossa

(We need a bit more offensive firepower in the top 6 and Sgarbossa is an offensive player that could help.)

Jones-Mitchell-Hejduk (not a bad 3rd line)
McCleod-Olver-Kobasew

I'm not big on Borderleau, he is kind of like Koci and could be used instead of Kobasew on nights we thought we needed an enforcer.

I think you're undervaluing Olver; based on what I've seen he is a third line player who looks good around the net. I think EVERYONE is undervaluing Hejduk. He is playing with poor quality linemates. I definitely think Landeskog-Stastny-Hejduk has potential. But Sgarbossa isn't NHL ready at this point and McGinn is under-performing severely right now, so the former shouldn't be called up and the latter needs time to find his game on the third line with Jones.

I'm not sure what to do, frankly... but there needs to be a change... there absolutely needs to be a change with the way the second line is playing.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Landeskog: “I haven't seen [the replay] but I think it was a clean hit, or felt like a clean hit. No elbow, but it was hard, I'll tell you that much. I was kind of reaching for the puck and didn’t brace myself enough and he stepped up. That's the way with hockey, you give some and you take some, and tonight I took a pretty big one.â€

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I didn't see the game and glad I didn't, but let me know if this sounds like it,

- PP still sucks.
- PK didn't preform.
- We made Griess look like Price?
- nobody showed up offensively?

Oh and we need ROR desperately.

Also Sacco was pissed off at the refs in the post game, I wonder if he will be fined for those comments.

Last edited:

member 116861

I didn't see the game and glad I didn't, but let me know if this sounds like it,

- PP still sucks.
- PK didn't preform.

Also Sacco was pissed off at the refs in the post game, I wonder if he will be fined for those comments.

All that is correct except the bolded. Griess looked like an average goaltender, it was a very easy shutout for him that any NHL goalie could have gotten.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
All that is correct except the bolded. Griess looked like an average goaltender, it was a very easy shutout for him that any NHL goalie could have gotten.

Griess into Price basically means we made a average goaler look like a all-star or dd we have such a low shooting percentage, it was as easy as Halak's 13 save shutout a couple of night ago?

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I don't think Sgarbossa is NHL ready yet.

No I agree, but we look very disjointed offensively especially the 2nd line. We have to get some production from them to be successful. Sgarbossa is probably ready for the NHL from an offensive standpoint, not quite defensively speaking or maybe from a physical standpoint. If we put Sgarbossa with some defensive responsible players like Stastny I think Sgarbossa would probably be fine and be able to adjust to the physical side of things.

If we continue to struggle to have consistency offensively and O'Reilly doesn't get signed Sgarbossa should get a call.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

- PP still sucks.
- PK didn't preform.

I'm curious, what were Sacco's comments?

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
If Sacco thinks the refs lost the game for him, he better take a deep look inside himself and the team. Nosce te ipsum.

avalanchuck

Jun 29, 2006
Denver, CO
Sacco basically was upset at the no call on the Landeskog hit. I don't think he was upset about the calls on ROB. He was upset that the PK couldn't step up & kill the penalties.

Peter The Great
Aug 17, 2005
Sweden
A couple of you guys criticizing Landeskog after this game is embarrassing after a huge hit like that.

Also read somebody after this hit questioning the draft pick even though Landeskog winning the Calder last season, embarrassing.

It was a stupid move of the coaches allowing him to play the rest of this game. Lando is a very young warrior but shouldn't have been allowed to play more this game.

Wouldn't surprise me if he is out next game.

The Sharks is perhaps the best team in hockey right now and a loss was a little bit expected, right?

Last edited:

Joe Sakic

Kaut + 1st
Jul 19, 2010
Colorado
We are the most penalized team in the entire league...it's a miracle we aren't 0-4.

If we can get some games where we have more (or equal) power play chances then the opposition then we should be fine.

Mant*

We are the most penalized team in the entire league...it's a miracle we aren't 0-4.

If we can get some games where we have more (or equal) power play chances then the opposition then we should be fine.

We're also 29th in powerplay opportunities. The refs just put the whistles away when they see the other team do something, because it's not like every team we go up against plays a perfectly clean game. Hell, the Avs even get calls against them that they didn't even do... twice last season they got double minors for high sticking when it was the other team's own players high sticking each other.

Appleanche

Jan 15, 2013
Asheville, NC
Some quotes from the thread now that I've had time to go through it all.

Here is THE actual issue. You guys are absolutely right that the Avs had no life at all after the hit and that we are terrible at 'overcoming things like this'.

The reason? Our coach is a GIANT WUSS.

He doesn't want to ruffle any feathers, so he bends over and takes it. He has a guy that is 6'6" and 230lbs on the bench that would love nothing better than to grab the first shark in sight and start pounding relentlessly but no, let's not retaliate, let's try to win the game.

At some point, you have to say **** the 2 points and take a stand and let Bordeleau just start wailing on someone's head, just to say...'HEY *******S, you want to take liberties on our guys?? Well, HERE'S THE ****ING CONSEQUENCES!!!"

And you know what? It doesn't matter if Bordeleau gets 5+2 and a game misconduct and a suspension and we lose the game by even more. It really just doesn't matter. What matters is THE STATEMENT, it HAS to be made and it has to have an impact.

Think I'm nuts? There is no way Crawford, Hartley or Quenneville wouldn't have done something close to what I'm suggesting. Hell, I saw Dean Chynoweth do it with Bordeleau earlier this year in the AHL after a cheap hit on Barrie AND it was the right move (albeit a little too late in the game for my taste). Lake Erie didn't win the game but they showed the Rockford Icehogs that if they're going to take cheap shots on our guys, that we're not just going to sit there and say "thank you sir, may I have another", there's going to be an angry monster coming for you and you better be ready to eat some chicklets.

Unfortunately, Sacco ALWAYS turns the other cheek, I don't know why, maybe he's afraid to get into a shouting match with the coach from the other team? The guys on our bench are always expecting such a response and the message between the period is probably 'let's keep our composure' or something stupid like that and it ends up deflating the entire team.

It's the same thing for bad penalties against our team. Sacco never says anything. We keep getting screwed over and over and over and apparently, he loves it so the refs keep giving it to him. There is a reason why we have the lowest amount of powerplays in the NHL.

Apparently, he wants our team to be hard to play against. Well that was about as easy a game + shutout I've ever seen from another team. Since you DIDN'T take a stand Sacco and you just let them run us over with no real consequence, what do you think the San Jose Sharks are going to do the next time they play us to get the win?? :shakehead

Absolute pathetic excuse for a coach.

Great post, entirely agree. I forgot if it was the Bruins or the Flyers during their toughest days but there was a quote that's like they may not always win but you're never getting out easy with them.

Basically Sacco and gang just sent a message that it's OK to take questionable hits on our young guys, especially the captain.

Why even have Borderleau if he's not going to be an enforcer? It's mind boggling..

If this was just about any other team in the NHL the Sharks would have had to answer, every team but the Avs..

klozge

Avs
Jul 19, 2009
Espelkamp, Germany
Some quotes from the thread now that I've had time to go through it all.

Here is THE actual issue. You guys are absolutely right that the Avs had no life at all after the hit and that we are terrible at 'overcoming things like this'.

The reason? Our coach is a GIANT WUSS.

He doesn't want to ruffle any feathers, so he bends over and takes it. He has a guy that is 6'6" and 230lbs on the bench that would love nothing better than to grab the first shark in sight and start pounding relentlessly but no, let's not retaliate, let's try to win the game.

At some point, you have to say **** the 2 points and take a stand and let Bordeleau just start wailing on someone's head, just to say...'HEY *******S, you want to take liberties on our guys?? Well, HERE'S THE ****ING CONSEQUENCES!!!"

And you know what? It doesn't matter if Bordeleau gets 5+2 and a game misconduct and a suspension and we lose the game by even more. It really just doesn't matter. What matters is THE STATEMENT, it HAS to be made and it has to have an impact.

Think I'm nuts? There is no way Crawford, Hartley or Quenneville wouldn't have done something close to what I'm suggesting. Hell, I saw Dean Chynoweth do it with Bordeleau earlier this year in the AHL after a cheap hit on Barrie AND it was the right move (albeit a little too late in the game for my taste). Lake Erie didn't win the game but they showed the Rockford Icehogs that if they're going to take cheap shots on our guys, that we're not just going to sit there and say "thank you sir, may I have another", there's going to be an angry monster coming for you and you better be ready to eat some chicklets.

Unfortunately, Sacco ALWAYS turns the other cheek, I don't know why, maybe he's afraid to get into a shouting match with the coach from the other team? The guys on our bench are always expecting such a response and the message between the period is probably 'let's keep our composure' or something stupid like that and it ends up deflating the entire team.

It's the same thing for bad penalties against our team. Sacco never says anything. We keep getting screwed over and over and over and apparently, he loves it so the refs keep giving it to him. There is a reason why we have the lowest amount of powerplays in the NHL.

Apparently, he wants our team to be hard to play against. Well that was about as easy a game + shutout I've ever seen from another team. Since you DIDN'T take a stand Sacco and you just let them run us over with no real consequence, what do you think the San Jose Sharks are going to do the next time they play us to get the win?? :shakehead

Absolute pathetic excuse for a coach.
Yes, Sir. I can't agree more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad