Post-Game Talk: Aves @ Sharkes 2 PM MST || In theory, we can win this. In theory.

Status
Not open for further replies.

finds71

Jan 18, 2011
Canada
After watching the game:

EJ, Mitchell had a good game

Duchene was fast but it seems like nobody wanted to play with him tonight...

Statsny was very invisible, and was for me my biggest disappoitement.

Landy, Parenteau and Mcginn all had a bad game.

And Varly was ok, without him it would have been 7-0 after 2 periods.

PK was horrible but against the Sharks it is hard to judge.

On the hit on Landeskog, I wouldn`t be surprise if Stuart gets a suspension, as he targeted the head... however Landy has to keep his head up!

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
Landeskog has seemed to shy away from hitting this season much more. He's been playing sooo soft if you ask me, and I have no idea why.

Yep, I hope he picks it up. I understand today, but overall the whole season he hasn't quite looked the same.

bohlmeister

May 18, 2007
Landeskog has seemed to shy away from hitting this season much more. He's been playing sooo soft if you ask me, and I have no idea why.

Disagree. No clue why you say that? He hit Stuart alone 3 times after he came back from that massive hit. He hasn't obliterated anyone, but he hasn't been passing on them.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Which game did you watch? The Stastny line creates one chance a period, you're right. How does that qualify as playing well?

Where did I say, they're playing well? All I said he was one of the better Avs today( he was IMO) and his line including himself haven't been terrible.

What's the point of posts like this? Why, don't you say the reasons, you don't agree with me instead of leaving me to guess?

member 116861

Anybody else notice how Kobasew went hard after Gomez the whole game? Whenever Gomez had the puck, Kobasew would just rush him and put pressure on him forcing him to turn it over. It didn't matter where Kobasew was on the ice, when he saw that Gomez had the puck he would go full speed after him.

Goulet17

May 22, 2003
I thought Wilson played alright as well. The problem with our other defenders is that they have absolutely zero creativity and have terrible breakouts. The offense is extremely hampered by the fact that they basically have to get into the offensive zone by themselves, they don't have the defenders that help them transition into the offensive end. You could tell that the Sharks players could tell exactly what 4 of our defenders were going to do, and by the end of the game they were just picking them off and walking in for great chances.

Also, what is with the defense being completely incapable of pushing forwards away from the front of the net? I thought the reason the team transitioned to a big immobile defense was to be tougher down low. Now, instead of being small and incapable of moving forwards, but at least smart enough to pick off plays, the defense is basically a giant pylon with the one hope that it blocks a shot.

I tend to agree. We sacrificed transition and creativity for the idea that we would be tougher to play against in our own zone and in front of the net. But we are not really appreaciably better in that regard IMO, at least we have not improved enough to justify the diminished transition for offensive purposes.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Theme of the season so far: We're ridiculously undisciplined. The only reason we won against CLB and LAK are because they are pathetic on the powerplay.

In our four games I think we've given up 7, 6, 6, and now 7 tonight, powerplays, and that is just not going to be a good thing at all. Sure we won the other 2 games, but this theme is unsettling. We need to stop taking stupid penalties. Though it probably doesn't help that (atleast from my perspective) we seemingly keep getting jobbed hard by the zebras.

The refs aren't losing these games for us though, hardly. Not even close. We lost today because nobody could hold onto the puck for more than a few seconds, and it seemed like everyone was afraid of even shooting the puck at all.

The refs have screwed the Avs so far this year. We have only 12 PP's in 4 games and have been on the PK 26 times. I'm not going to say we didn't deserve all the penalties against us, but we sure as **** have deserved a few more PP attempts.

You can't tell me that San Jose didn't do anything that warranted a penalty for the final 45 minutes of the game. That is a bunch of BS if you ask me. I saw at least 2 bad no calls in the 3rd period alone on the Sharks. One on Stastny who got held driving to the net. And think it was Jones who got tripped behind the goal while trying make a move to the front of the net, but yet no call.

This is the same crap that happened to the Avs last year. The refs would call every little minor infraction on the Avs and would let the other team get away with murder and not call a thing. I don't understand why the Avs never get any calls.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You're right Swic, I forgot about Wilson, who had a half decent game.

The transition game is terrible and it's so obvious. That's why I wanted Barrie to play more than 2 games before he got sacco'd

member 116861

Also lol to anybody thinking there will be a suspension. It's Shanahan and it was a guy wearing an Avs jersey who was the victim plus it is a hit where an argument can be made from both sides so there is no way that Shanahan will give a suspension.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Feb 24, 2012
In the end San Jose is just a much more complete team. The Avs have a really weak defensive core, and lack scoring depth. Both problems are going to have to be addressed in the offseason, and for now the Avs will be a fringe playoff team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
I don't see any point in discussing that as a possibility, because I don't see the Avs getting a top two pick this season. Making the playoffs will be difficult, but I don't see them being last or second to last in the league.

You seem to forget that the Avs are tanking this year, and only won the last two games because they can't even tank right.

IceRat

#BallsOutTheDoor
Mar 4, 2011
What's the point of posts like this? Why, don't you say the reasons, you don't agree with me instead of leaving me to guess?

he's let up a total of 1 goal in the last 2 games including coming off a shutout
our schedule hasn't been as brutal as most as we have had days off between games
He hasn't done anything to play himself out of a starting position ... quite the opposite
the goaltending did not cost them the game today

how about instead of you making such a ludicris statement you actually explain yourself as to why JS should have started

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
In the end San Jose is just a much more complete team. The Avs have a really weak defensive core, and lack scoring depth. Both problems are going to have to be addressed in the offseason, and for now the Avs will be a fringe playoff team.

They don't lack offensive depth. They lack offense, period. Their GA is fine, even after this game. The bottom 6 guys are ok. They just aren't scoring enough and it's because their star players - Stastny and Landeskog in particular - are not controlling the play. The other problem is that the D can't make an up ice pass for their lives.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Thought the exact same thing. How can you possibly say Varly was bad? basically all 4 goals came on the PP and 2 of them he had literally no chance on.

As others have said, the entire team **** the bed today, except EJ.

EJ had a really good game, again. That play he had at the end of the game acting like an Airplane to cover the puck was actually an incredibly smart play. Really says a lot about how well he thinks the game to be able to do that without hesitation.

I thought Duchene was ok. No where near his last 2 games, but I thought he was good on the PK and was using his body well down low. Landeskog looked shaken up from the hit, and PAP was invisible.

See that is the problem. Duchene shouldn't have to be the only one trying to do anything. Even other star player get help from their supporting cast I honestly thought he was again our best overall forward tonight. I mean where the hell has Stastny's line been, they haven't had a good game this year. Landy was poor at best, PAP was quiet. 3rd line was OK, but nothing too great, and the 4th line might as well reserve themselves for Gooning because Borderleau is terrible, McCleod tries hard but has nothing when it comes to hands and Olver isn't bad but the other two are so poor when it comes to puck skills they can't even make simple plays.

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
No he is not.

Okay, maybe it was a little hyperbole, but the fact remains that David Jones is a wonderfully inconsistent, somewhat injury-prone player who has been more or less entirely invisible in all 4 games this season other than one time when he got a free puck alone in the slot.

It was less about Jones needing to be gone (which I don't think, I think he could bounce back. He's simply, IMO, the most expendable asset that we have that has actual value, that won't create a massive roster hole for us) and more about us really, really, really needing a PMD of some sort who can make passes and run a decent powerplay.

I actually like David Jones, and I hope he gets his crap together because he's looked like poo.

member 116861

Okay, maybe it was a little hyperbole, but the fact remains that David Jones is a wonderfully inconsistent, somewhat injury-prone player who has been more or less entirely invisible in all 4 games this season other than one time when he got a free puck alone in the slot.

It was less about Jones needing to be gone (which I don't think, I think he could bounce back. He's simply, IMO, the most expendable asset that we have that has actual value, that won't create a massive roster hole for us) and more about us really, really, really needing a PMD of some sort who can make passes and run a decent powerplay.

I actually like David Jones, and I hope he gets his crap together because he's looked like poo.

I strongly disagree. The guy has not been invisible.

finds71

Jan 18, 2011
Canada
See that is the problem. Duchene shouldn't have to be the only one trying to do anything. Even other star player get help from their supporting cast I honestly thought he was again our best overall forward tonight. I mean where the hell has Stastny's line been, they haven't had a good game this year. Landy was poor at best, PAP was quiet. 3rd line was OK, but nothing too great, and the 4th line might as well reserve themselves for Gooning because Borderleau is terrible, McCleod tries hard but has nothing when it comes to hands and Olver isn't bad but the other two are so poor when it comes to puck skills they can't even make simple plays.

Yeah I agree.
To me Statsny is the biggest problem. If we sign Radar soon, Sherman should be looking at what the other teams get offer for him. I am not saying TRADE HIM NOW! but if we can get a good top pairing D... I don`t see how the Avs could walk away...

a mangy Meowth

Ross Colton Fan
Jun 21, 2012
Highlands Ranch, CO
and the 4th line might as well reserve themselves for Gooning because Borderleau is terrible, McCleod tries hard but has nothing when it comes to hands and Olver isn't bad but the other two are so poor when it comes to puck skills they can't even make simple plays.

Actually gotta somewhat disagree with you on the Bordeleau part. Every time I see him get the puck, he makes a smart, simple move to either make a safe pass or dump it in. I really haven't been worried about his play, he even has forechecked well and had some good hits.

I'm not saying give the guy more minutes or anything, but he's proven to not be a liability out there, and honestly that's all you can really ask of a fighting role player like Bordy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad