Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

horner

May 22, 2007
Imagine whining about how your 22 year old franchise center didn’t look dominant enough after he scores a game winning goal and assists on another goal to ice the game.

The state of this fanbase is absolutely pathetic. Been here through some bad times, but this is just crazy to me. Fans were clamouring for a first line center for a decade and we now have two top 10 centers and the whining continues, this time about dollars and body language. Try therapy, my god.

We are only like this because we all know he can be a shit load better.
He has the talent to dominate.
Marchant never takes a shift of
He has had two 5 pt games in the last 4 games

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

MattySnipes

Jan 26, 2018
'Mecca' of Hockey
At the end of the day, it's really, the NHL Salary Cap & Gary Bettman that I hate so much.

I have no problem with players getting PAID.

It's been about 3 full regular seasons and 3 playoff rounds of experience — WSH, BOS (2)

His first year, he hit it out of the park. Everywhere. Even with Babcock limiting him foolishly to help Leafs limit his future cap (pathetic). What good did it do us? Still paid premium on him. I remember only wanting him to work on his explosiveness and d-zone work following his terrific rookie year.

All the Leafs rookies that year were great to be honest. I remember Leafs setting history (Franchise & NHL), rookie records every other night it felt like, 1st NHL team to have rookie stars accumulate 60+ points, or something along the lines.

Fact remains, a lot of records were being broken. Players were having a blast. I think they were all just playing for each other, rather than for the man behind the bench holding a stupid, smug grin on his face, while blowing through sticks of chewing gum ferociously, screaming "Let's get at 'er!" :eyeroll:

Why Is Babcock So Bad At His Job?

Now that, is a complete different discussion and a number of factors are associated with what's transpired the last few years and continues to.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Feel free to tag any fan who still defends Matthews.

The hype didn't come from no where. I came across this clip and I want you all to watch it.

Done? Ok tell me when the last time you saw Matthews battle for a puck like that? When was the last time he protected the puck with his body like he does here several times. When was the last time he went INTO traffic for the puck?

This guy still can be one of the best players in the league, but something is wrong. He should be a much better player than he has been this year. We can find clips like this all day long of him just being impossible to stop. Now he won't put in any effort.

He was a beast last playoffs, battled a ton.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I do fully agree that Matthews game can use improvement this season but...

the vitriol in this thread is pretty off putting. This fanbase spent like half a decade trying to pretend that Bozak was a true 1C (no offense Bozie!), and now we're finding reasons to be angry at a centre literally on pace for 60+ goals this season

:help:

Last edited:

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Auston Matthews is the least of our problems right now. He's producing at a great clip.

Sure, he looks disinterested, but that seems to be an infection that the whole team outside of the bottom two forward lines has. Defense has been floating, Freddy's been....well, October Freddy...

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
I do fully agree that Matthews game can use improvement this seasonz but...

the vitriol in this thresd is pretty off putting. This fanbase spent like half a decade trying to pretend that Bozak was a true 1C (no offense Bozie!), and now we're finding reasons to be angry at a centre literally on pace for 60+ goals this season

:help:

It's kind of a tease that he's capable of scoring this many goals and points by nonchalantly lazing around the ice on a regular basis. If Matthews played with the engagement of anybody on that Boston top line he could destroy this league.

Wafflewhipper

Jan 18, 2014
The whole team is out of sync! Its to much change and not enough ingenuity by our coach. He completely changes the system after the roster turns over by 8 players. The injuries aren’t Matthews fault either.

Complaining about Matthews to the point of nit picking won’t cut it. He is deadly and will likely win the Rocket if he finally nails down all 82 games. Pasta has a crazy high shooting % but i wonder if its going to be something he keeps freakishly high for most of the season. Matthews & Pasta right to the wire likely for the Rocket Trophy! Can’t be a perfect player but his shooting is almost that good. Needs work on his skating harder thing

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
I love Matthews, he has so much potential. I just wish he'd use his size. He dosen't even have to crash and bang every chance, but just be like Sundin and he'd be good. Im just so tired of these fly by stick checks. ENGAGE DAMMIT!
I'm convinced that history will talk of Mathews as a great player who could have been generational.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad