Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Let's see

McDavid had 3 coaches so far
Plethora of linemates including Kassian out of all people
A team that has two superstars and that's it

2 Major injuries

Somehow drives the play, scores 100 points year in year out

if McDavid played for the Leafs, considering how much he loves the Leafs. He would have toren the league apart with this team

Matthews+Nylander for McDavid ;)

Reactions: Beaumaris

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Well... 2 periods in and he's been invisible other than the belly flop he did in the second.

$11.6M well spent!!!

But, no worries, he'll find a way to get a point in the 3rd so he, and his fan base, can say he's a PPG player and well worth the money.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
How to score goals with zero effort

by AM34
I've never seen a player like him. He literally falls into points by doing nothing. A puck sits in front of the next and he puts it in - while reaching at it from feet away to avoid having to get too close to the nasty areas.

Then he gets an assist 30 seconds later because Nylander, who does all the work, does a give and go.

That's after 2 periods of doing literally nothing!!!

He's unique, I'll give him that. Blessed, too. I've given up trying to fight it. He wins.

Last edited:

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
ORRFForever is obsessed with Matthews.
Matthews saves the leafs
great player
It makes no sense to me how he does it so I've given up fighting this fight. Let the love fest continue... without me! I'll stick with reviewing movies.

TheBigFour

Apr 17, 2019
Matthew leads the leafs in points and goals.
could be better but still a great player

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Obviously lately he hasn't been engaged for whole games but it producing. Definitely seems like he's got another gear to give .. Even when he scores, he hasn't been using that wicked shot lately.

NiL8r87

Jun 30, 2009
He scored 37 goals in 68 games last year without Nylander.

His line sucked at 5v5 without Nylander last year, he plays terrible defence. He scores goals yeah but I don’t expect to see a Center version of Phil Kessel getting paid 11 million per year, especially when he’s not even getting the hardest matchups.

Reactions: Menzinger

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
His line sucked at 5v5 without Nylander last year, he plays terrible defence. He scores goals yeah but I don’t expect to see a Center version of Phil Kessel getting paid 11 million per year, especially when he’s not even getting the hardest matchups.

His line last year 5 on 5 was on a similar level to his previous two years in terms of CF%, xGF, and xGA .. basically possessing the puck at a similar rate, producing offense at a similar clip, and defending at a similar clip.

Odd comparable to Kessel.. But I don't think it's that bad given Kessel's production over his career, and how he's produced in the playoffs (especially in the Pens two cup runs). And Matthews' is a better goal scorer.

I've been frustrated with parts of his game as well especially this season but that can't cloud the talent that the Leafs have. Venting about trading him is the reason why the Leafs can't have nice things.

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Yeah, well Connor Brown leads the Sens in points.

I compare players based on their pay grade. When considering term in the equation, Matthews is arguably the highest paid player in the league.

There are currently 19 lesser paid players ahead of him in the point standings. And there are 2 players tied and 2 players ahead of him in goals.

Not NEARLY getting what we're paying for.

He wasn't paid that contract to be "good". He was paid that contract to be the best. Or at least, right around there. Not for the league leader (who makes half his salary) to be 14 points ahead of him already. Lol

He wanted fair expectations? He should have signed a fair contract.

Swedish Gretzky

Oct 12, 2017
Sweden

He will be better. He just needs some time to mature. Its pretty clear they are developing him into a 200 ft centre,, on top of having probably the best shot... which is insane

Future

Feb 8, 2011
Ontario
Imagine whining about how your 22 year old franchise center didn’t look dominant enough after he scores a game winning goal and assists on another goal to ice the game.

The state of this fanbase is absolutely pathetic. Been here through some bad times, but this is just crazy to me. Fans were clamouring for a first line center for a decade and we now have two top 10 centers and the whining continues, this time about dollars and body language. Try therapy, my god.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
His line last year 5 on 5 was on a similar level to his previous two years in terms of CF%, xGF, and xGA .. basically possessing the puck at a similar rate, producing offense at a similar clip, and defending at a similar clip.

Odd comparable to Kessel.. But I don't think it's that bad given Kessel's production over his career, and how he's produced in the playoffs (especially in the Pens two cup runs). And Matthews' is a better goal scorer.

I've been frustrated with parts of his game as well especially this season but that can't cloud the talent that the Leafs have. Venting about trading him is the reason why the Leafs can't have nice things.

His raw stats look similar year to year, but they show a different pattern when looking at the relative 5v5 stats.

upload_2019-11-6_0-2-37.png

Nevertheless, Matthews is an elite player and can play with anyone. I agree I don't like how he plays away from the puck for a lot of the season, but it can be improved as the season goes on. And yeah I don't see how anyone can think of trading away Matthews, given that we've been dying for a franchise 1C since forever. People just need to be patient.

HaveKnifeWillButcher

Apr 23, 2018
The dreaded on pace for: 62 goals, 92 points and a +36. Methinks your team might have more pressing problems than his play. He was playing a way more engaged before Trouba got him in the train tracks last year. Maybe if he goes a while without injury, he'll get the confidence to play that way again.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
Matthews will be just fine in the long run. The Chicken Littles are very funny to observe.

I will say though that when I stated during his first year that he needed to be more robust I was "mocked" by the same geniuses now lamenting his style. I predicted this would happen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad