Auston Matthews Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeafingTheWay

May 31, 2014
Matthews has to demand the puck more. I thought it was because Nylander was dominant in zone-entries, that he referred to Nylander to carry the puck. But even with Johnsson/Kapanen or Brown last year, he allowed them to carry or it dump it in a lot of the times (less possession play as well).

Reactions: fahad203

m1ker

Apr 11, 2014
Each time he went all out he got injured.
Skating around with his head down, Trouba popped him.
Speaking from the glass half full side, maybe the injures he sustained taught him to preserve it all so that he's fresh come playoffs. Honestly, as long as we make the playoffs, if this guy is a beast come April then I don't care how he plays all season.

Last edited:

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
Some players are just injury prone. Matthews is like that.
Which is an argument that I constantly brought up in the contract negotiation threads.
Matthews is elite when he tries, but then gets injured. Or he’s “good” when he doesn’t try, and stays healthy.
Problem is leafs are paying him to be “elite”, but he seems too scared to do it.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Which is an argument that I constantly brought up in the contract negotiation threads.
Matthews is elite when he tries, but then gets injured. Or he’s “good” when he doesn’t try, and stays healthy.
Problem is leafs are paying him to be “elite”, but he seems too scared to do it.
You're 100% right. It's the reason the team is in a rough spot.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
taught him to preserve it all so that he's fresh come playoffs.
He was very passive in the playoffs.
He didn't show any upping in his game.

Maybe he was injured.

Maybe not

Matthews34

Oct 9, 2009
Uxbridge
I think it's a testament to how good of a player he is that he still has 11 goals and is over ppg even though he isn't playing to this level. But like you said he has a higher ceiling than that and should be among the best in the league. If he plays with the same intensity as in the clip he's unstoppable and a force all around the offensive zone. We need him to be at this level to make a serious run

What if Matthews is incapable of playing at the intensity required to hit that other level???? Marner showed a lot more fire and killer instinct in Junior than he does now. Same can be said about a lot of players on this team. It begs the question Does Babcock neuter this team with his big hits takes you out of the play? But for most players it gets them into the game.

Reactions: Menzinger

Mickey Marner

Jul 9, 2014
Dystopia
Feel free to tag any fan who still defends Matthews.

The hype didn't come from no where. I came across this clip and I want you all to watch it.

Done? Ok tell me when the last time you saw Matthews battle for a puck like that? When was the last time he protected the puck with his body like he does here several times. When was the last time he went INTO traffic for the puck?

This guy still can be one of the best players in the league, but something is wrong. He should be a much better player than he has been this year. We can find clips like this all day long of him just being impossible to stop. Now he won't put in any effort.

The beginning of the 2017-18 season until his first injury was the best he ever played in his career. I remember him winning a 1v4 puck battle against San Jose. I think this group needs some martyrs in order to return to that compete night-in, night-out.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
Yup. I think what some Matthews fans need to understand is most here do not hate him. They just know he is capable of more than a filthy snipe every game or two. He can do all that while being a physical monster on the ice. If he can be that player for us, there isn't a team that can stop him.
I worry that he knows or has been told he could have recurring shoulder/back issues if he plays a more physical game so has changed how he plays. The evidence seems to support something like that as I agree he used to be more physically engaged in both the offensive and defensive zones.

Myopic

Feb 26, 2017
AM is turning into a one dimensional player like JVR. He's atrocious without the puck and that just comes down to laziness. He was never forced to play defense as a lad growing up and was just rewarded a ridiculous contract for his goal scoring alone. Why would this entitled brat change?

Last edited:

bluewhiteblue

Mar 11, 2012
Some players are just injury prone. Matthews is like that.
That's my take on AM34. He's had shoulder injuries sustained from contact and he seems more shy with the puck as a result. It could be telling as to the likelihood of another shoulder separation if he bangs and crashes.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
That's my take on AM34. He's had shoulder injuries sustained from contact and he seems more shy with the puck as a result. It could be telling as to the likelihood of another shoulder separation if he bangs and crashes.
The Ticats had a player like that : Jesse Lumsden. Monster of a kid who'd get hurt if you sneezed in his direction. It is what it is with some athletes.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Pastrank had 34 goals and 70 points and missed 7 games in there with elbow surgery. He's also came out and said recently he's fine with his current contract and doesn't feel underpaid. He's nothing like our spoiled primadonnas.

Stood for his team mate (Bergeron). And this is why I have more respect for Pastrnak.

That said, f*** the bruins

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Imo, that's the difference between a good gm and dubas.

Bostons gm could tell that pasta was going to be a star and paid him for it. Pasta repaid his team by getting better and becoming a threat for 100 points.

I have no idea what dubas expected with his over payments. Did he think auston was going to lead the league with marner and nylander right behind? Its embarrassing.

Foresight is not one of Dubas' strengths; which is very concerning because a good foresight is absolutely imperative in an executive whether hockey or otherwise

Throw More Waffles

Unprecedented Dramatic Overpayments
Oct 9, 2015
What if Matthews is incapable of playing at the intensity required to hit that other level???? Marner showed a lot more fire and killer instinct in Junior than he does now. Same can be said about a lot of players on this team. It begs the question Does Babcock neuter this team with his big hits takes you out of the play? But for most players it gets them into the game.
When you’re young and poor, you have that extra drive to try and make it big. But once you make it big, some players lose that drive.

Sure, some players get paid then step it up a notch (Pastrnak)... but the Entitled 3 were VERY clearly all about the money. It couldn’t be any clearer throughout all of their negotiations.

Reactions: Matthews34

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009

Stood for his team mate (Bergeron). And this is why I have more respect for Pastrnak.

That said, **** the bruins

Nothing to take away from Pasta but everyone in that team is 25% tougher thanks to Chara and the style that the Bruins plays

That's the culture Bruins created. We stick up for each other. Everyone in that team has battle scars, I bet they all talk about it and proud of it

When I was in high school we used to get our a#$* handed to us by the school across. If you didn't get beat up, you weren't part of the team. You weren't one of us. We had that culture in high school. Our gym teacher created that culture

Boston has that from top to bottom. Cam Neeley, the ownership group, the GM and the coach
I wonder how Shanahan even breathes in that room

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Feel free to tag any fan who still defends Matthews.

The hype didn't come from no where. I came across this clip and I want you all to watch it.

Done? Ok tell me when the last time you saw Matthews battle for a puck like that? When was the last time he protected the puck with his body like he does here several times. When was the last time he went INTO traffic for the puck?

This guy still can be one of the best players in the league, but something is wrong. He should be a much better player than he has been this year. We can find clips like this all day long of him just being impossible to stop. Now he won't put in any effort.

Is it weird that instead on focusing on Matthews beasting in that video more I got pissed at Nylander ruining those grade A chances that Matthews produced for him?

:laugh:

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario

That said, **** the bruins

All Matthews has to do is jump someone, shake them around and throw a punch as they're going down when shit hits the fan. He doesn't even need to throw a punch, just shake a guy around when the tough gets goijg

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
Nothing to take away from Pasta but everyone in that team is 25% tougher thanks to Chara and the style that the Bruins plays

That's the culture Bruins created. We stick up for each other. Everyone in that team has battle scars, I bet they all talk about it and proud of it

When I was in high school we used to get our a#$* handed to us by the school across. If you didn't get beat up, you weren't part of the team. You weren't one of us. We had that culture in high school. Our gym teacher created that culture

Boston has that from top to bottom. Cam Neeley, the ownership group, the GM and the coach
I wonder how Shanahan even breathes in that room

Dubas has a "we use words" culture :biglaugh:

Shanahan either got soft in his old age or is seriously ticked off at the moment waiting to explode any moment now :laugh:

PromisedLand

I need more FOOD
Dec 3, 2016
Hogwarts
All Matthews has to do is jump someone, shake them around and throw a punch as they're going down when **** hits the fan. He doesn't even need to throw a punch, just shake a guy around when the tough gets goijg

I mean don't fight; just grab the guy ffs.

I just felt betrayed for some reason when JT, Matthews, Barrie, Muzz, Freddy were hit and run over and there was no response from the team. It hurt me.

Don't fight; don't drop the gloves but at least get into a wrestling match or even a shove would suffice reflecting "we not gonna take that kind of BS from you"

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Let's see

McDavid had 3 coaches so far
Plethora of linemates including Kassian out of all people
A team that has two superstars and that's it

2 Major injuries

Somehow drives the play, scores 100 points year in year out

if McDavid played for the Leafs, considering how much he loves the Leafs. He would have toren the league apart with this team

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->