Auston Matthews, 60 goal seasons?

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
He has only had 2 injuries...which both were different and obviously not a niggling thing. Anything else has been the result of illness.

I am not discrediting Matthew accomplishments or potential....but their "absences" aren't very comparable insofar as proneness to injury are concerned.

Hell...I think he was even one of the first NHLers to get COVID. lol. The kid is obviously a physiotherapy monster with a shitty immune system...or he is cavalier with it.

If I wanted to use the same argument some of the posters above have used about Matthews not scoring 50 yet, I could just drop this on you: it's a black and white fact Matthews has missed fewer games in his first 5 seasons than McDavid did in his. It's a silly argument that ignores your other reasonable mitigating factors but I guess those are the rules of the thread.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
So Drai is a 120pt player to you?

I would have no problem with someone claiming that. And in the McDavid points threads, people constantly used pace and extrapolation and no one dismissed that with nitpicky "coulda would shoulda" arguments. Very curious that it only seems to be Leaf accomplishments that draw out all the "yeah but..." posters.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
It’s not a certain thing, but i’d say it’s more than likely that Matthews hits 60 at some point.

Scoring is up, he is one of the all time greats at putting it in the net.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
I would have no problem with someone claiming that. And in the McDavid points threads, people constantly used pace and extrapolation and no one dismissed that with nitpicky "coulda would shoulda" arguments. Very curious that it only seems to be Leaf accomplishments that draw out all the "yeah but..." posters.
It isn’t only leaf accomplishments. Those are just the only times you pay attention to it happening. It happens in the McDavid threads too, it just doesn’t turn into a 5 page pissing match with oiler fans claiming it’s hate and outrageous that people don’t call McDavid a 160 pt player. Was he on pace for that this year, sure. Is it possible for him to get that in a year, also yes. But he’s not a 150-160pt player till he actually does it.

Reactions: Tmu84

Dondini

Apr 28, 2010
He can do it but it will have to be soon. Elite goal scorers usually have their best season before 26 years old

leaffaninvancouver

formerly in Victoria
Jan 11, 2012
It isn’t only leaf accomplishments. Those are just the only times you pay attention to it happening. It happens in the McDavid threads too, it just doesn’t turn into a 5 page pissing match with oiler fans claiming it’s hate and outrageous that people don’t call McDavid a 160 pt player. Was he on pace for that this year, sure. Is it possible for him to get that in a year, also yes. But he’s not a 150-160pt player till he actually does it.

You also don’t get a bunch of people just trashing McDavid to just annoy Oilers fans though. Most of Matthews criticism here is just to provoke a reaction.

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017

Dude, you're in every Leafs thread. *You're* the reason these threads turn into 5 page pissing contests.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
Wow the salt of some posters in here when there’s a post on Matthews.

How many Ovy posts were they in his heyday? Let’s be honest guys Matthews took his crown as the best goal scorer in the league, either you look at this year or last three years scoring pace.

He will have 60 goals pace seasons, will he have the full 82 games seasons that is probably required to hit the number? I would say “who cares” 55 in 74 or 60 in 82 is the same. We’re so focused on particular numbers for some reason.

Reactions: hoglund

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
Wow the salt of some posters in here when there’s a post on Matthews.

How many Ovy posts were they in his heyday? Let’s be honest guys Matthews took his crown as the best goal scorer in the league, either you look at this year or last three years scoring pace.

He will have 60 goals pace seasons, will he have the full 82 games seasons that is probably required to hit the number? I would say “who cares” 55 in 74 or 60 in 82 is the same. We’re so focused on particular numbers for some reason.

Pace is pretty meaningless. 55 in 74 is very different from 60 in 82. Milestones are milestones for a reason, you need to achieve them first before you claim it.

I am willing to bet that Matthews pots 50 next year but 60 is a lot harder than what a lot people in this thread are making it out to be.

Dempsey

Mark it zero
Mar 1, 2002
Ladner, BC
The difference from 50 to 60 is huge. I'd say Matthews could do it, but a lot of things have to go right. He's got a window in the next few years but he has to stay healthy.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I don’t think anyone is disagreeing that he’s incredibly likely to hit 50 in a season.

Maybe not explicitly, but comments like "why don't we wait until he scores 50" feel pretty worthless. Yeah, he's technically never scored 50 in a single season, and by definition he's not a 50 goal scorer yet, but given what we have seen him do to date, the far more interesting conversation is 60 vs 50, because it feels like he's proven to be a 50+ goal level of scorer, even if he's not so on the record books yet.

The overwhelming majority of Leaf fans perfectly understand that pace doesn't equal accomplishment; that said, I don't think pace is entirely worthless either as some here would like you to think. You're generalizing and painting the picture you want to. I've seen plenty of McDavid/Oiler discussions devolve into the exact same types of pissing matches. Same with honestly most other teams, but namely Boston, Pittsburgh, Colorado etc.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
If I wanted to use the same argument some of the posters above have used about Matthews not scoring 50 yet, I could just drop this on you: it's a black and white fact Matthews has missed fewer games in his first 5 seasons than McDavid did in his. It's a silly argument that ignores your other reasonable mitigating factors but I guess those are the rules of the thread.

It is silly. Some seem to think I am somehow dumping on Matthews. I'm not. I hope he accomplishes everything he is capable of in the NHL (minus winning TO a cup :D). All I have done here is point out he has a persisting injury...which if he isn't able to overcome it could become more a problem for him.

One guy has a niggling injury (a wrist) and the other guy has two two freak accident injuries that seem to be well past him. Should be pretty obvious what I am saying but some people think we need to get a tape measure whip it out and lay 'em on the table.

Are we really THAT insecure?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dache

The Hanging Jowl

Apr 2, 2017
Pace is pretty meaningless. 55 in 74 is very different from 60 in 82. Milestones are milestones for a reason, you need to achieve them first before you claim it.

I am willing to bet that Matthews pots 50 next year but 60 is a lot harder than what a lot people in this thread are making it out to be.

You're 100% correct. Unfortunately, a bunch of haters turned into a 50 goal discussion.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Dude, you're in every Leafs thread. *You're* the reason these threads turn into 5 page pissing contests.
How so? Because I’m responding to 6 people saying it’s insane leaf hate that I don’t think Matthews is a lock for 65-70 goals. Come on man, don’t start this nonsense again.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Maybe not explicitly, but comments like "why don't we wait until he scores 50" feel pretty worthless. Yeah, he's technically never scored 50 in a single season, and by definition he's not a 50 goal scorer yet, but given what we have seen him do to date, the far more interesting conversation is 60 vs 50, because it feels like he's proven to be a 50+ goal level of scorer, even if he's not so on the record books yet.

The overwhelming majority of Leaf fans perfectly understand that pace doesn't equal accomplishment; that said, I don't think pace is entirely worthless either as some here would like you to think. You're generalizing and painting the picture you want to. I've seen plenty of McDavid/Oiler discussions devolve into the exact same types of pissing matches. Same with honestly most other teams, but namely Boston, Pittsburgh, Colorado etc.
This comments feel worthless because you’re taking them at more than face value. For example you have no issue saying that the overwhelming majority of leaf fans know that pace doesn’t equal the accomplishment, but when some of those leaf fans say it does and an outside fan say it doesn’t you focus on the person that says it doesn’t even though you agree. Hell even my posts in this thread have called him the best goal scorer in the world, and saying he obviously has the talent for 60 goals just that it takes factors other than talent to get 60. And yet all I’m responded to is as if I think he’s not a very good goal scorer and a leaf hater.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Based on this thread we should transition it into a congratulatory post for Alex Ovechkin for breaking the consecutive 30 goal season record.

Did he get 30 this year ? No, but he was well on pace

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You can argue that 82 games is arbitrary and if there were 56 game seasons it would be considered almost equally impressive as 60+ goals in 82.
I don’t even think it’s all that arguable. I think what he did this year is just as impressive. However, the whole thread is about how many 60 goal seasons will be have, not how many impressive seasons will he have. And when I specific number like that is what’s mentioned then that’s what you have people analyzing

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
Fact. Matthews was the absolute best goal scorer in the NHL this season with no one even close.
Fact. Matthews won the rocket and will be top 3 in Hart voting this season.

Irrelevant fact. Despite putting up 47 goals in 70 games in the previous season and 41 goals in 52 games this season as the best goal scorer in the NHL, he hasn't technically put up 50 goals in a full 82 game NHL regular season. Of which there hasn't been in the past two seasons.

What a wonderful accomplishment to argue about.
Show me where I denied any of that please. Dude is a fantastic goal scorer, never claimed otherwise.

At the same time you can show me where he scored 50 in a season. I can show you where Drai scored 50.

I dont deal in hypotheticals my man. He's either scored 50 in a season or he hasn't. Everything else is projection. You say he easily would have, I counter with "sure but considering his injury history it's just as likely that he gets hurt and doesn't".

But that's also a hypothetical and just as irrelevant as your projection.

Again.....did he score 50 in a season.

Yes or no?

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
He is talented but do people not realize that whats happening now can most likely be an anomaly? People need to remember that every team is playing the same teams way more then they should. Players are more rested also because of less travel. The question shouldn't be "Can Austin hit 60 goals" It should be "Can Austin replicate what hes done this season in a NORMAL season"

I am a Habs fan and I don't even think my team gets into the playoffs if not for this pandemic.

yegoldboysclub

Jan 30, 2019
Only one player drafted since 2010 has even got to 50 in a season and it wasn't Matthews. I think 50 should be on the radar first.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad