Auston Matthews, 60 goal seasons?

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
These threads honestly just feel like Matthews hate-bait.

To answer the question, yes, I think he could. Will he? Idk. 60 is really hard. I think in a full season, 50 should be easily obtainable for him. He would have hit 50 last year if not for COVID canceling the rest of the season.

This is the same guy that leads the league in goals per game since entering the league, not some scrub.

So the questions is, “can Matthews hit 60 goals in a season?” And you’ve got all the clown cars pulling in screaming, “he’s not a 50 goal scorer!!1!1!!1”.

guess what guys? That’s not what was being asked. That’s not the question.

Definite clown show in here sometimes.

This is the kind of thread that makes you lose brain cells.

"Is 60 possible in his future?" is the question. People arguing about what he's done so far, and not about what he COULD do in the future.

It's crazy right? Oh well.

Reactions: saffronleaf

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I mean he was at what a ~130 point pace and historically ramps up towards the end of the season.

So that’s the criteria ? A player has to be “on pace” for something 2+ years for it to be considered true ? Where are the goal posts here
The player would have to have either hti the mark more than once or have paced for it more than once.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Do you bring up the same concern for Mcdavid? He has only played 82 twice in his career and hasnt in the past 3 seasons.

He has only had 2 injuries...which both were different and obviously not a niggling thing. Anything else has been the result of illness.

I am not discrediting Matthew accomplishments or potential....but their "absences" aren't very comparable insofar as proneness to injury are concerned.

Hell...I think he was even one of the first NHLers to get COVID. lol. The kid is obviously a physiotherapy monster with a shitty immune system...or he is cavalier with it.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
He has only had 2 injuries...which both were different and obviously not a niggling thing. Anything else has been the result of illness.

I am not discrediting Matthew accomplishments or potential....but their "absences" aren't very comparable insofar as proneness to injury are concerned.

Hell...I think he was even one of the first NHLers to get COVID. lol. The kid is obviously a physiotherapy monster with a shitty immune system...or he is cavalier with it.
He has had major injuries, one of which threatened his entire career. Mcdavid also had COVID, which is nothing to laugh at, you child. It's killed and debilitated millions of people around the world, it has nothing to do with a shitty immune system.
What an uneducated, moronic reply.

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
I think he'll get close to 65 in a full season with just Marner. Consider how this season he scored at this rate while playing with a hurt wrist so bad he could hardly shoot and still had 3 goals in that 12 game stretch. Outside of that he has almost exactly a goal per game, and has scored at over a 60 goals pace since being paired with Marner early last season.

True, I'd just like to see how much higher Matthews numbers would be if they had a better LW than Hyman. Nothing against Hyman but if you upgrade him, it increases the numbers for Matthews and he would be scoring at an even faster pace.

snag

Feb 22, 2014
He has had major injuries, one of which threatened his entire career. Mcdavid also had COVID, which is nothing to laugh at, you child. It's killed and debilitated millions of people around the world, it has nothing to do with a shitty immune system.
What an uneducated, moronic reply.

No shit Sherlock. He doesn't have a chronic injury. They are freakish incidents of the game. What an asshole retort. And I wasn't laughing at covid so get your sanctimonious head out of your ass....it was a commentary if there is something out there, it seems McDavid gets it. Ask any Oiler fan and they will back up that assertion.

Namikaze Minato

Apr 30, 2009
Beautiful B.C.
No shit Sherlock. He doesn't have a chronic injury. They are freakish incidents of the game. What an asshole retort. And I wasn't laughing at covid so get your sanctimonious head out of your ass....it was a commentary if there is something out there, McDavid gets it. Ask any Oiler fan and they will back up that assertion.
Alright, my bad. Got our wires crossed on this one, i thought you were mocking Matthews for being one of the first NHL players to get covid (then Loling at it) and saying that meant he had a shitty immune system. Now i see youre saying it in jest about your "own guy", not in a dickish way about "my guy".

snag

Feb 22, 2014
Alright, my bad. Got our wires crossed on this one, i thought you were mocking Matthews for being one of the first NHL players to get covid (then Loling at it) and saying that meant he had a shitty immune system. Now i see youre saying it in jest about your "own guy", not in a dickish way about "my guy".

K...we're good lol

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
He paced for 58 goals/82 games under Keefe last season which wasn't in the "stupid Canadian division". Him improving by 2 goals isn't dreaming lol
I think he will do it, but all we hear about Pablo is how he is "pacing"

It's never "done it" or "doing it" like the BIG BOYS

He is still at the kids table

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
To be fair, it's not just pace now.

He's literally scored somewhere between 62-64 goals in the last 82 games.
I think he will be one of the greatest goal scorers of all time now. He is going to terrorize the league.

Sometimes in life, we just have to wait for them to do it in terms of how we follow the game. In one full season.

Reactions: Dache

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
I think he will do it, but all we hear about Pablo is how he is "pacing"

It's never "done it" or "doing it" like the BIG BOYS

He is still at the kids table
I mean the problem is the last 2 seasons he's been screwed by the pandemic, it's no fault of his own. He realistically hits 50+ last year and could have potentially went for 60+ this year if the seasons aren't shortened.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Lol. Now do 50 in a season which we were discussing. Argue about what if's all you want, he hasn't scored 50 in a season. Could he have? Sure. He could've also been injured and missed the rest of those seasons.

Let's deal in facts and not what ifs and maybe's.

Has he scored 50 in a single season...yes or no.
Fact. Matthews was the absolute best goal scorer in the NHL this season with no one even close.
Fact. Matthews won the rocket and will be top 3 in Hart voting this season.

Irrelevant fact. Despite putting up 47 goals in 70 games in the previous season and 41 goals in 52 games this season as the best goal scorer in the NHL, he hasn't technically put up 50 goals in a full 82 game NHL regular season. Of which there hasn't been in the past two seasons.

What a wonderful accomplishment to argue about.

Last edited:

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Fact. Matthews was the absolute best goal scorer in the NHL this season with no one even close.
Fact. Matthews won the rocket and will be top 3 in Hart voting this season.

Irrelevant fact. Despite putting up 47 goals in 70 games in the previous season and 41 goals in 52 games this season as the best goal scorer in the NHL, he hasn't technically put up 50 goals in a full 82 game NHL regular season. Of which there hasn't been in the past two seasons.

What a wonderful accomplishment to argue about. You get a cookie.
I think Leafs fans could patent their own algorithm lol

Do you get that mans point?

There is no need to say if and what, etc... lol

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Was he on a 150 point pace the season before as well? (No, he wasn't).

Would feel comfortable calling him a 120 point player though, because it's 2 seasons in a row he's been pacing above that.
So Drai is a 120pt player to you?

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
I think Leafs fans could patent their own algorithm lol

Do you get that mans point?

There is no need to say if and what, etc... lol
Ugh, arguing against ignorance is a waste of time. We laugh at the mainboards all the time in the Leafs forum for stuff like this. I legitimately could see arguments on this site on what colour of blue the sky is.

But whatever. The rocket winner this year with the best gpg since Lemieux has yet to have a 50 goal season. Happy? Now you can enjoy the meaningless victory of willful ignorance while Matthews gets awarded the rocket.

#hfboardsinanutshell

Snipes45

May 26, 2020
Edmonton
Ugh, arguing against ignorance is a waste of time. I legitimately could see arguments on this site on what colour of blue the sky is.

But whatever. The rocket winner this year with the best gpg since Lemieux has yet to have a 50 goal season. Happy? Now you can enjoy the meaningless victory of willful ignorance while Matthews gets awarded the rocket.

#hfboardsinanutshell
Matthews is most likely going to be the next Mike Bossy.....

No hate there. Just waiting for the monster number in one season. No reason he won't do it if healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->