Auston Matthews, 60 goal seasons?

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
You can make all the claims you want about what a player MIGHT do. Claim away.

The issue is that it's also a legit claim to say he wouldn't do such and such a thing because of injury.

A claim is a claim, nothing more. Extrapolate all you want but you also have to admit that it's also not a foregone conclusion that said objective would have been met.

"Well he basically scored 50 goals and he would have if blah blah blah."

He didn't and that's the end of the story.

Until he does(which he likely will).
You seem to have entirely ignored my above comment and instead are tilting at windmills. Let me reiterate: You absolutely can make a legitimate statement that Matthews is a lock to produce 50 goals over an 82 game season where he is healthy because he already has scored 50 goals over 82 game segments, multiple times. In fact for his career he is nearly that pace. What I am saying is that he is a lock to continue to do what he has already done over the last couple years, if he stays healthy. Unless you are somehow approaching this discussion from a biased perspective, this should be pretty clear and non controversial. The more ambitious claim made by others that he is a lock to score 60 is definitely much more tenuous because we have never seen him score at that pace before this season, which was indeed shortened. Which is why I would disagree with that comment. But we have seen Matthews but up 50 goals over 82 game segments for years now so it is pretty reasonable to expect that he will continue to do so as he is in his prime.

Reactions: Regal

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You seem to have entirely ignored my above comment and instead are tilting at windmills. Let me reiterate: You absolutely can make a legitimate statement that Matthews is a lock to produce 50 goals over an 82 game season where he is healthy because he already has scored 50 goals over 82 game segments, multiple times. In fact for his career he is nearly that pace. What I am saying is that he is a lock to continue to do what he has already done over the last couple years, if he stays healthy. Unless you are somehow approaching this discussion from a biased perspective, this should be pretty clear and non controversial. The more ambitious claim made by others that he is a lock to score 60 is definitely much more tenuous because we have never seen him score at that pace before this season, which was indeed shortened. Which is why I would disagree with that comment. But we have seen Matthews but up 50 goals over 82 game segments for years now so it is pretty reasonable to expect that he will continue to do so as he is in his prime.
I think most of the disconnect is from the term “lock” vs “probable” there are other circumstances why he might not hit 50, maybe he has an extended slump, or the wrist injury is nagging, but not enough to miss time. No one is hating on him and pretty much everyone is saying the smart money is on him getting at least 50. But it’s not a lock just because it’s not as easy as some are making it out to be.

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North

I never said, not even one time, that Matthews wouldn't score 50. All I said is that he hasn't and projections and extrapolation about that might have happened are usless and only ever one sided because nobody talks about how it's just as likely that he gets hurt and doesn't score 50 in those season.

He will score 50. He hasn't scored 50. Saying "he would've scored 5o if if if" is pointless.

Reactions: Stamkos4life

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Hmm.. If we assume scoring stays the same and Matthews gets 3-4 fully healthy (or nearly healthy) seasons I think he's going to break 60. At least once. Would be cool to see him chasing OV's biggest season total of 65.

So, yeah. I think he's going to score 60. Don't know if he can do it more than that.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
He missed 3 games this season and so far has 5 goals in 11 games.

He needs 55 goals in the last 68 games to hit 60 goals which is a .809 goals per game pace.

Will be tough. He'd have to get on a crazy hot streak.

Last year when he scored 42 goals in 51 games he had a .788 goals per game pace.

AvroArrow

Fire Keefe
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
Slow start this for him this year, I think he probably gets back to normal around December time. You can tell he's still getting back into it after his wrist surgery. I don't think he has a chance to hit 60 this year, if he can remain healthy for a full season at any point he'll have a shot.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I don’t think he lacks the skill but things have to go his way and they haven’t so far. Like others, let him get 50 first. Of course he can hit that number....but he hasn’t.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He missed 3 games this season and so far has 5 goals in 11 games.

He needs 55 goals in the last 68 games to hit 60 goals which is a .809 goals per game pace.

Will be tough. He'd have to get on a crazy hot streak.

Last year when he scored 42 goals in 51 games he had a .788 goals per game pace.

He's due for some upward regression. His shooting percentage is only 11.1%. That should probably end up around 15-16%

Reactions: Melrose Munch

JasonRoseEh

Oct 23, 2018
The guy hasn't hit 50 yet and his highest scoring year came in an AHL compromised division, let's see him do that before the crazy talk. Although with scoring increasing every year it might become more attainable as we progress with 60 becoming the new 50 in 6-8 years, maybe less.

Varan

Nov 27, 2016
Toronto, Ontario
The guy hasn't hit 50 yet and his highest scoring year came in an AHL compromised division, let's see him do that before the crazy talk. Although with scoring increasing every year it might become more attainable as we progress with 60 becoming the new 50 in 6-8 years, maybe less.
“AHL compromised division” LMFAO

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
This assumes that he stays healthy, which he hasn’t been able to do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad