Auston Matthews, 60 goal seasons?

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
I know the Leafs can't afford him but I would be curious to see another elite playmaker with Matthews and Marner. I bet if you put Gaudreau on the left side, giving Matthews two playmakers setting him up, he could get a few 65+ goal seasons.

I think he'll get close to 65 in a full season with just Marner. Consider how this season he scored at this rate while playing with a hurt wrist so bad he could hardly shoot and still had 3 goals in that 12 game stretch. Outside of that he has almost exactly a goal per game, and has scored at over a 60 goals pace since being paired with Marner early last season.

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
McDavid would have won the Calder if he did not get injured, life happens. Please show me the stat with Matthews scoring 50 in a season. I think he will do it next year but that is to be seen
To be fair he had 48 with 7 games to go when the season was paused, I think it would be a fair estimate that he'd score at least 2 in 7 games.

Crazy Monkey

Aug 9, 2009
He didn't miss a single game last year and missed four this year. He's missed 38 games in his entire career (5 years).

Various reasons include the f***ing pandemic. Honestly, I'm just laughing. I know that 50% of people who write stuff like this don't believe it and are just doing it to get a rise out of Leafs fans, but it's the other 50% that I'm worried about. See below.

For Jack Eichel, sure.

Weird take

I think Matthews will score 50+ for several seasons including next year. Agreeing with someone who says he needs to stay healthy to do so is very reasonable. Even if he didn't miss a ton of games this year, he was hurt and it affected his play. Otherwise, it would have been 50+ this year

Saltcreek

Nov 23, 2016
To be fair he had 48 with 7 games to go when the season was paused, I think it would be a fair estimate that he'd score at least 2 in 7 games.

He most likely would have done it but at the end of the day he didn't. That is not to say he will not do it in the future, I absolutely believe he will pot 50+ for a couple of seasons as long as we get some "normal" season in the future.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Was he on a 150 point pace the season before as well? (No, he wasn't).
I mean he was at what a ~130 point pace and historically ramps up towards the end of the season.

So that’s the criteria ? A player has to be “on pace” for something 2+ years for it to be considered true ? Where are the goal posts here

saffronleaf

May 17, 2011
Toronto, ON
I mean he was at what a ~130 point pace and historically ramps up towards the end of the season.

So that’s the criteria ? A player has to be “on pace” for something 2+ years for it to be considered true ? Where are the goal posts here

I calculated for the last full season and he was on a 124 point pace.

It's not some absolute criteria, but yes, if a player is pacing for it in multiple seasons (including seasons without anomalies like only divisional play), then it's more convincing.

I'd wager that McDavid will cross the 120 point threshold if healthy. Just as I'd wager that Matthews will cross the 50g threshold if healthy.

Stealth1616

Oct 12, 2019
Sure, that would probably be a smart wager. But if someone told me McDavid has scored 120 points in a season it’s just plain wrong because he’s never done it

Reactions: FriendlySpungo

Arizonan God

Jan 30, 2010
Toronto
These threads honestly just feel like Matthews hate-bait.

To answer the question, yes, I think he could. Will he? Idk. 60 is really hard. I think in a full season, 50 should be easily obtainable for him. He would have hit 50 last year if not for COVID canceling the rest of the season.

This is the same guy that leads the league in goals per game since entering the league, not some scrub.

karnige

Real Life FTL
Oct 18, 2006
McDavid would have won the Calder if he did not get injured, life happens. Please show me the stat with Matthews scoring 50 in a season. I think he will do it next year but that is to be seen
exactly. piss off with this pace nonesense. i want set in stone numbers.

Marshmallow Man

Nov 6, 2020
These threads honestly just feel like Matthews hate-bait.

To answer the question, yes, I think he could. Will he? Idk. 60 is really hard. I think in a full season, 50 should be easily obtainable for him. He would have hit 50 last year if not for COVID canceling the rest of the season.

This is the same guy that leads the league in goals per game since entering the league, not some scrub.

When the thread is about a player possibly scoring 60 goals in a season, fair to say that player isn't going to be a scrub.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Man there’s stupid and then there’s this. It’s not his fault Covid happened.

He scored 40 in 49. I’m sure he could add 10 more over 33 more games.
Absolutely he could/should and very likely he could add 20. But that posters point isn’t wrong, maybe it’s an injury, maybe it’s covid, or a lockout or a slump or any number of things. The point is 50 is hard enough, never mind 60, never mind counting how many 60 goal seasons a player will have before he’s reached 50, regardless of the reasons that have held him back so far.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
While yes technically Matthews hasn't hit 50 goals yet in a single season, it feels pretty dishonest to act like 50 goals is still some mark he still needs to prove he can hit. Consecutive years with 47 in 70 and 41 in 51 make the discussion around whether he's likely to score 50 in a full season a pretty boring one.
I don’t think anyone is disagreeing that he’s incredibly likely to hit 50 in a season.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
So what you are saying is, you think it is equally likely that you will keep finding 10 dollar bills every day walking the same route, as it would have been for Matthews to keep scoring a lot of goales this season if there were more games?
It’s not about this season though, he’s not scoring 50 or 60 this season. It’s about replicating that exact same pace and for longer next season and beyond. Why is it a foregone conclusion that he’ll have 41 in 52 next year?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Well since you are going down the "technicalities" logic, which in my opinion is embarrassing but, I'll play along.

Yes he has scored 50 goals in the NHL. He's actually scored 199 goals in the NHL.
So then Scheifele should “technically” have the same shot at 60 next year? Or does the timeframe matter?

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
Do you bring up the same concern for Mcdavid? He has only played 82 twice in his career and hasnt in the past 3 seasons.
If the thread was about how many 160 pt seasons McDavid will have it absolutely would be a concern that has to be considered.

Atomos2

Jun 28, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
So then Scheifele should “technically” have the same shot at 60 next year? Or does the timeframe matter?
You tell me? With ridiculous notions of Matthews not being a 50 goal scorer despite what he has achieved in the past two seasons it goes to show you the lengths people will go to willfully look and act ignorant for no reason other than affirming a weak irrelevant fact.

Matthews has scored 60+ goals in his last 82 regular season game. Another technicality for people to weasel their way around.

Reactions: saffronleaf

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
You tell me? With ridiculous notions of Matthews not being a 50 goal scorer despite what he has achieved in the past two seasons it goes to show you the lengths people will go to willfully look and act ignorant for no reason other than affirming a weak irrelevant fact.

Matthews has scored 60+ goals in his last 82 regular season game. Another technicality for people to weasel their way around.
But it’s not measured by any 82 game sample of your choosing. It’s per season. Not one person is saying he isn’t good enough to get 50 and very few of any are saying he isn’t good enough to get 60. But good enough is not the only thing that matters, luck, timing, health, all kinds of other things need to go right. He 1000% has the skill of a 50+ goal scorer but he’s not a 50 goal scorer till he’s done it. Just like McDavid isn’t a 150 pt scorer. Does McDavid have the talent to do it? Clearly. Doesn’t make it real though till it happens. No one is crapping on your boy here. He’s an amazing goal scorer and he’s proven this year that he’s currently the best in the world at it. But that doesn’t change facts

Reactions: Saltcreek

Muikea Bulju

Oct 11, 2018
"He would have had 66 this year if it was a full 82 game season"

No he wouldn't, he has gotten tired every season during his career. He is no McDavid playing the 2nd half better.

RavenGuard

Feb 20, 2020
The North
Well since you are going down the "technicalities" logic, which in my opinion is embarrassing but, I'll play along.

Yes he has scored 50 goals in the NHL. He's actually scored 199 goals in the NHL.
Lol. Now do 50 in a season which we were discussing. Argue about what if's all you want, he hasn't scored 50 in a season. Could he have? Sure. He could've also been injured and missed the rest of those seasons.

Let's deal in facts and not what ifs and maybe's.

Has he scored 50 in a single season...yes or no.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad