Recalled/Assigned: Aube-Kubel and Goulbourne up, Vorobyev down

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Just shows how out of touch the brain trust is. This team feeds on emotion.
Post Richards-Carter all of this core's best moments have come in chippy, high intensity games.

Its interesting that Hex targeted Weise and overplays and him and he's the one talking about "misguided emotions"

giroux use to be an emotional time bomb, and he has had all his emotion coached out of him. its sad to see, old giroux would go nuts if he was playing like he played in the playoffs last year.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
giroux use to be an emotional time bomb, and he has had all his emotion coached out of him. its sad to see, old giroux would go nuts if he was playing like he played in the playoffs last year.
Just look how we beat Pittsburgh in the past. Not by more talent. But we would get them off their game by getting them to engage in scrum so after every whistle. When Pittsburgh just stuck to playing skilled hockey, they whoop us.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I don't buy the emotion shtick, especially in today's game.
I remember Ray Rhodes and his legendary rants, worked for a couple years, then they tuned him out.
Landry and Belichick are two of the most emotionless coaches you'll ever see, how'd that work for them?
And Rinaldo has emotion, unfortunately, that and skating is all he has, common sense fled him a long time ago.

Now you have to have competitive fire and hate to lose, but the rah rah stuff, count me skeptical.
But I think that's more a GM's job, find players with high motors and compete levels, dump the low energy guys.
Get enough guys who want to win desperately in a clubhouse and they'll push each other and their teammates.
In that case, the coach's job is to keep the team on an even keel so they don't sabotage themselves in their enthusiasm to make something happen.

Whether this team has that critical mass yet is a good question, I think it's definitely one of the things Hextall looks for in prospects.
I don't think fighting is as good an indicator as playing with passion, skating hard all game, chasing the puck, fighting for the puck, hitting, blocking shots, doing whatever it takes to win games.

If I had to pick the most competitive guys on this team, I'd say Raffl, then Giroux, Provorov and TK

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
One effing lavi timeout was more charged than while season of hak/hex hockey. Breaks my heart really. Can't even imagine how tough it must be on Giroux to be caught in the middle of all this ****.

The players, like Giroux, are the only reason I am even here talking about the team. I no longer support the organization over the players. I am still a fan of many of them and I want them to do well. It is extremely frustrating that they are chained to this f***ing loser coach.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
I remember Ray Rhodes and his legendary rants, worked for a couple years, then they tuned him out.
Landry and Belichick are two of the most emotionless coaches you'll ever see, how'd that work for them?
And Rinaldo has emotion, unfortunately, that and skating is all he has, common sense fled him a long time ago.

Now you have to have competitive fire and hate to lose, but the rah rah stuff, count me skeptical.
But I think that's more a GM's job, find players with high motors and compete levels, dump the low energy guys.
Get enough guys who want to win desperately in a clubhouse and they'll push each other and their teammates.
In that case, the coach's job is to keep the team on an even keel so they don't sabotage themselves in their enthusiasm to make something happen.

Whether this team has that critical mass yet is a good question, I think it's definitely one of the things Hextall looks for in prospects.
I don't think fighting is as good an indicator as playing with passion, skating hard all game, chasing the puck, fighting for the puck, hitting, blocking shots, doing whatever it takes to win games.

If I had to pick the most competitive guys on this team, I'd say Raffl, then Giroux, Provorov and TK

There's a difference in being a "rah-rah" type who is all shtick and no substance (Ray Rhodes) versus being a Laviolette type who can both coach and motivate. I'm not asking for emotion just for the sake of emotion. But the team sure seems to have a motivation issue (hence the first-goal-of-the-game problem).

Also, with the size of rosters and sheer number of coaches in football, being the head coach is more like being a CEO than is the case with hockey, so I don't think it's an apples-to-apples comparison.

There's certainly more than one way to skin a cat. But I think it's unacceptable for a Flyers' team to play this blandly.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
One effing lavi timeout was more charged than while season of hak/hex hockey. Breaks my heart really. Can't even imagine how tough it must be on Giroux to be caught in the middle of all this ****.

I saw lavy punch leino and that team sack up immediately. Giroux must be laughing at Hak trying to rile up the boys. Wish we had brind'amour in here.

Reactions: Tripod

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I saw lavy punch leino and that team sack up immediately. Giroux must be laughing at Hak trying to rile up the boys. Wish we had brind'amour in here.

The idea of Brind'Amour was brought up here and laughed out of the room. Sure seems like he is coaching "against type" right now though. Makes me even more interested in Dineen as a replacement for Hak.

Reactions: Jtown

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
The idea of Brind'Amour was brought up here and laughed out of the room. Sure seems like he is coaching "against type" right now though. Makes me even more interested in Dineen as a replacement for Hak.

Dineen is also a guy i am interested in. I don't know if you can hire an assistant for another organization to be your head coach , but I am all for that. I think you need an ex player who has some credibility in the locker room and Dineen has that. Dineen has also seen how a successful organization has been coached and pushed and can give invaluable perspective.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA

Brind’Amour wouldn’t have been bringing the overall shot volume philosophy with him like was already in place in Carolina even before he got promoted. Their front office has been constructing their roster around that philosophy for a while now even under Francis. They played it under Peters as well. It’s an overall thing from top to bottom.

Hextall doesn’t want to play that style & that’s ultimately the biggest problem even bigger than Hakstol or whoever the coach is.

baudib1

Apr 12, 2016
Las Vegas

The examples you use don't speak to the value of a leader providing an emotional spark. Belichick and Landry were successful because they built systems that worked, filled their rosters with talent and were tactical geniuses. Hakstol's system doesn't work, he's not a tactical mastermind and he actively makes the roster work. Not being able to inspire the team is way down on the list of his faults.

Pantokrator

Who's the clown?
Jan 27, 2004
Semmes, Alabama
All I know is I kept voting for Goulbourne this summer for future NHLer rankings, and now I am proved right. Everyone voted based on potential, I voted on actuality, because you knew it had to come down to this. All those players with actual potential - they won't get an opportunity. Garrett Klotz is next...

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
What's the over/under for the total minutes played by Goul before he's sent down.

Last year he played 50 minutes in 9 games, this year I set it at 25 in 4 games, when JVR returns in two weeks he's gone.
I think Goul is only on the roster for this road trip.

General Joseph

Dec 25, 2017
Florida Panhandle
I wish Goulbourne was up this past Saturday ! I drove up for the game from Cherry Point MCAS in NC where i am doing work with our nations Marines on their Jets . That was positively the most uninspired pitiful Flyers game i ever witnessed live . We had great seats lower Bowl and i was hoping to see a good hard hitting game . FERGETABOUTIT . Goulbourne would have at least made it interesting with his spirited type play . The Islanders will be a VERY tough competitive team sooner than later . They got some big lads that play with heart .

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I would field a team of 17 Tkachuks and a clone of Bernie Federko if it gave me a better chance to win.

72Qy.gif

Bruckuss

FML & FCF
Apr 1, 2012
Not Toronto
RIP pimp, come back when you're heavier. Nothing surprises me anymore.

This has Dale Hackencough written all over it, if so at least he's digging his own grave.

(and for whatever reason, I want to share the Pulp Fiction "Pride F***ing with you scene", where Ron is Marcellus Wallace, and Dave is Butch - go down in the first, and when you're sipping beet juice a year from now on the field, you'll know that Marcellus Wallace was right

smoochy

Oct 12, 2018
I wish Goulbourne was up this past Saturday ! I drove up for the game from Cherry Point MCAS in NC where i am doing work with our nations Marines on their Jets . That was positively the most uninspired pitiful Flyers game i ever witnessed live . We had great seats lower Bowl and i was hoping to see a good hard hitting game . FERGETABOUTIT . Goulbourne would have at least made it interesting with his spirited type play . The Islanders will be a VERY tough competitive team sooner than later . They got some big lads that play with heart .
Yep. Guys like Goul being asses out of the seats and put the opposition on theirs. Fans get pumped with big hits, fights and some bad blood just like they do with a goal or great save.

Players are engaged, fans are entertained and bringing energy to the building. Its hockey 101.

Reactions: General Joseph

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad