Recalled/Assigned: Aube-Kubel and Goulbourne up, Vorobyev down

BigToe

Robocop sucks
Jan 6, 2018
Philly
"Your Wells Fargo Check of the Game, Robert Hagg with a huge hit on x player. What a hit eh Jonesy?" - JJ

"You betcha. Hagg with a textbook finish on that hit. You see him laying out x player" - Jonesy

Repeat this 71 more time this season.
WHY I OUTTA

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Don't forget Miles Wood.

Quality post!

72Qy.gif

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
1.7 hits per game.

He doesn't get more per game because he sucks too badly to play. Cant hit from the bench after all.

Would you say that a guy who scores 20 goals while averaging 6 minutes a game scores at the same "rate" as someone who scores 20 goals while averaging over 20 minutes a game?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Would you say that a guy who scores 20 goals while averaging 6 minutes a game scores at the same "rate" as someone who scores 20 goals while averaging over 20 minutes a game?

Nobody who scores 20 goals with only six minutes of ice time would continue to get six minutes of ice time. Their ice time would increase, since scoring goals is how you win.

Ghoul doesn't get to hit more because he is bad at hockey. Hits don't win like goals do. Totally different scenarios.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Nobody who scores 20 goals with only six minutes of ice time would continue to get six minutes of ice time. Their ice time would increase, since scoring goals is how you win.

Ghoul doesn't get to hit more because he is bad at hockey. Hits don't win like goals do. Totally different scenarios.

Avoided the question. No shock.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Avoided the question. No shock.

The question doesn't make sense. Goals aren't comparable to hits. The question fails fundamentally.

Someone who is great at scoring goals will get to play more. Someone who hits and doesn't do anything else? Nope. In turn, that means they get minimal opportunity to do the one minor thing they can do. Their impact is minimized to the point where they don't even stand out on the team for hitting since their hit totals are so low.

Get back to me when he's good enough to play real minutes and actually wear a team down. Until that happens he's useless. 1.7 hits per game isn't worth the liability across the board he otherwise brings.

Reactions: macleish1974

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The question doesn't make sense. Goals aren't comparable to hits. The question fails fundamentally.

Someone who is great at scoring goals will get to play more. Someone who hits and doesn't do anything else? Nope. In turn, that means they get minimal opportunity to do the one minor thing they can do. Their impact is minimized to the point where they don't even stand out on the team for hitting since their hit totals are so low.

Get back to me when he's good enough to play real minutes and actually wear a team down. Until that happens he's useless. 1.7 hits per game isn't worth the liability across the board he otherwise brings.

You said, and I quote, "Ghoul hits at the same rate as Provorov." I said you must be rating "rate" on games rather than the rate of hits per ice time. Was I wrong? Yes or no?

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
You said, and I quote, "Ghoul hits at the same rate as Provorov." I said you must be rating "rate" on games rather than the rate of hits per ice time. Was I wrong? Yes or no?

Rate per game is what matters. Recall, the discussion was about the impact that Ghoul would have upon games with his hitting. Therefore, pointing out his net hits on a per-game rate rather than by ice time is the proper way to assess.

His impact is small.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Rate per game is what matters. Recall, the discussion was about the impact that Ghoul would have upon games with his hitting. Therefore, pointing out his net hits on a per-game rate rather than by ice time is the proper way to assess.

His impact is small.
Still avoiding the question.

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008

Be mindful were talking 4th liners here. If these were guys capable of scoring theyd be higher up in the lineup. Ideally they'd excel at the pk and see minutes there but 6 to 8 minutes of enthusiasm brought on by being aggressive on the forecheck demonstrated by hits is one of the things you want to see. That and a solid posession game. Im not arguing hes the next mike raffl but as far as replacement level utility guys go hes not completely useless. Theres definitely slower guys playing ahead of him. Part of me thinks pigeonholing him because he fights might be a poor reflection on hakstol.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Be mindful were talking 4th liners here. If these were guys capable of scoring theyd be higher up in the lineup. Ideally they'd excel at the pk and see minutes there but 6 to 8 minutes of enthusiasm brought on by being aggressive on the forecheck demonstrated by hits is one of the things you want to see. That and a solid posession game. Im not arguing hes the next mike raffl but as far as replacement level utility guys go hes not completely useless. Theres definitely slower guys playing ahead of him. Part of me thinks pigeonholing him because he fights might be a poor reflection on hakstol.

You've made me realize something. I'm not entirely sure Hextall and Hakstol are on the same page with Ghoul. He's of the enforcer archetype, and that is one player type that Hakstol has utterly no use for. He doesn't want his players fighting. He doesn't want the emotion. The laughable ice time speaks to that.

It may be that Hextall thinks the guy is solid and Hak would rather drink spit.

Reactions: captainpaxil

macleish1974

Crash.....Heart of a Lion
Aug 2, 2005
Florida Swampland
Goulbourne does play on the PK up here in LV. Can he make the Flyers PK any worse than it already is?
He does have a couple of attributes : he is reasonable quick, he thinks about were he should be next, good checker, and a heck of a middleweight fighter, which he rarely uses in LV, because everyone is afraid to fight him except super heavyweight fighters. Hockey skills, below average at best: lugging the puck up ice is not his forte, passing to an open player is not his forte, he does have a decent shot when he uses it and can be a net presence. He does have a fairly nice deke, in and out move. He is a well-spoken; extremely nice kid. Make a great husband and father some day. I could see him mayor of some town in Ontario, but not someone who will be in the hockey hall of fame.

Though I am surprised they did not bring along Bardreau, agitator par excellence

Reactions: gertbfrobe16

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I mean, he is an ok PKer in the AHL...

but on the Phantoms last couple of years:

Lindblom
Laughton
Knight
Leier
Bardreau

Were all arguably better PKers... at least in the coaching staff's mind in LHV in terms of usage etc.

Actually it surprised me they did not try Knight-Lindblom yet for the Flyers, since that was maybe LHV's best PK pairing when together last season.

But I really don't think anything changes on the PK just because of personnel, they need a philosophy change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad