ATD Chat Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
I can't shake the feeling that I had a good start in the draft but that I'm fading as it goes. I can't pin down why I feel that way, but it keeps niggling at the back of my mind. I've had reasons for everyone I've chosen, but somehow I don't feel as good about the quality as I've gone along.
There's definitely a curve that one goes through, and that's normal and probably not related to whether your novel is worth writing. Keep it up!

Reactions: ResilientBeast

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I can't shake the feeling that I had a good start in the draft but that I'm fading as it goes. I can't pin down why I feel that way, but it keeps niggling at the back of my mind. I've had reasons for everyone I've chosen, but somehow I don't feel as good about the quality as I've gone along.

Eh, early on you're making your splashy picks and you look at the 4 stars you've drafted

You look at the rest of the roster with boundless optimism, those positions could be filled by anyone not drafted

VzcB0s.gif

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Eh, early on you're making your splashy picks and you look at the 4 stars you've drafted

You look at the rest of the roster with boundless optimism, those positions could be filled by anyone not drafted

VzcB0s.gif

So, should I take that as an "everybody feels that way" sort of thing? I hope so, because it makes me feel a little better if that's what it is. I mean, I can at least say that I have plans for the guys I've drafted, and I guess it is easier to see how the big names carry those out than it is players that are more average.

Oh shit, I completely misread that and thought that it was about NaNoWriMo.

Come to me, 5 o'clock.

Reading that post made me feel better after I couldn't figure out what the first reply was about. At least I'm not the only one around here who's nuts. Lol

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Is it too early to ask about the MLD? I think I'm interested in that I enjoy this concept and I like the idea of being involved further, but I'm wondering about the learning curve there since I know we'd be dealing with even more non-star players.

Reactions: Johnny Engine

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
An update from the land COVID forgot (up to a point).

The turn of phrase everyone's been using in the past few days is "arse' gone out of 'er" (use your imagination as to what that means, I find it to be perfectly cogent English). We just got confirmation that the UK variant of COVID 19 had been running rampant in metro St. John's for at least the last week and a half or so, and we're back in lockdown.

A few interesting notes for some perspective.

- We had 50 new cases today, and 260 active cases. 233 of those cases were added in the last 4 days.

- By comparison, the similarly sized state of Vermont currently has 2,895 active cases. It can't be overstated how different an experience Newfoundland has had with this virus compared with most of North America.

- 195 of the 260 active cases are under-20 years old, and it sounds like most of the spread they've identified happened in a high school in Mount Pearl, the next city over from St. John's. Of course, it won't end there, but I suppose it's good to know.

- The provincial government put in a system of alert levels as we reopened from the first lockdown, and they stopped making any goddamn sense months ago. Most of our stuff opened back up in the late spring/early summer after being in alert level 2 for a while, but for some reason they officially kept the province in level 2 semi-permanently even after a stretch where we had no active cases at all for something like 40 days in a row. Then the fall came, and there were second waves elsewhere in the world, so we started getting these little leaky cases where one person would bring it home from work abroad, and their family would get it, but the alert level stayed at 2 because apparently we're just leaving the thing where it is. Then 5 days ago, we get 11 new cases and rumblings that it got into the K-12 school system - and still at level 2. 4 more days where, as I said, arse' gone out of 'er, and we're still at level 2. School close, offices close, bars and gyms close, but the alert level stays the same. Then the Premiere, the Health minister and the Chief Medical Officer call an emergency press conference tonight to confirm that the recent cluster is in fact that UK variant, and they're raising the alert level all the way up to 5? Like, we know? Things are bad? What does alert level 5 change compared to what we were all doing 3 hours ago at level 2? I dunno, it's weird and not all that well thought out.

- Further to that, does the presence of the UK variant here actually change anything at all? Like, we knew the virus was out of control in Mount Pearl, and that we pretty much had to stay home for at least a couple of weeks to prevent it from getting any worse. But does the particular flavour of virus matter? Is anyone out there saying "well, at least it's the original strain", just prior to suddenly deep-kissing a stranger, WWII-sailor style? I don't think so.

- We're testing like crazy, and it's funny to think that the %positive has actually gone down in each of the last 3 days. My thinking is that this cluster is going to keep returning a few dozen cases a day for the next week, but will burn out pretty quickly shortly thereafter.

- Speaking of which, my god are we a cynical people. One comment I read on a CBC article said something to the effect of "...things Newfoundlanders are good at ... and spreading COVID". Like, what? We're terrible at spreading COVID. We completely eliminated it for over a month at one point!

- This is the closest I've been to being contact traced, though I haven't been and probably won't be. Jenny Engine's sister had a co-worker who ate at a restaurant where the virus showed up, and the dope kept showing up to work anyway. But he tested negative, her sister tested negative, and Jenny and are here working from home and watching hockey.

- I was supposed to do a recording session with a violin player, which would have been my first serious session as a cellist, but the violinist went to that restaurant and he did the responsible thing and cancelled. I'm not very good at cello but I try.

- Arse' gone out of 'er.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Man.

South Korea has over 50 million people and the local media and govt go bat **** crazy when the daily infection rate hits 300 to 500.

500 of 50,000,000+.

Dang low numbers. But everyone us taking it seriously.

"Cluster" infections here are in OLD people homes/nursing homes and church groups.

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada

I like my roster overall, but I keep staring at the one mistake that left a crater in the middle of my lineup. lol

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Has anyone been able to receive a vaccine yet?

The US is an absolute cluster f*** on every level. If there is a more corrupt and dysfunctional 1st world government on earth, I'd be shocked.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

The US is an absolute cluster f*** on every level. If there is a more corrupt and dysfunctional 1st world government on earth, I'd be shocked.

My mom is an OR nurse and she's had both doses, and my girlfriend's grandmother is in a care center and has gotten her first.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW

I got my first dose two weeks ago. I get my second at the end of the month. Our governor (Oregon) has prioritized educators on the list of folks getting the vaccine first, so I'm fortunate to live where I do.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

I have 4 friends in their 30s or 40s (in NYC) who have been able to get it as restaurant/bar workers, who are now eligible in NY as part of the 3rd group.

Yet my 75 year old aunt, who is supposed to be part of the 1st group, still can't get it in Virginia or Maryland.

The biggest probably is that vaccine supply goes through the federal government first, yet there was no federal plan to distribute, so the states have to make the plans but rely on the federal government for supply.

_____

Edit: To add: My dad who is in the 65-74 range has already gotten both doses in NJ. My pregnant sister-in-law is on the waiting list.

Last edited:
Reactions: Selfish Man

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Also, everyone I know who got the vaccine so far spent a lot of time on the internet finding an appointment. SO basically, being internet illiterate greatly reduces your shot of getting it... kind of bad for something that is supposed to prioritize old people.

Reactions: ChiTownPhilly

Johnny Engine

Jul 29, 2009
Edit: To add: My dad who is in the 65-74 range has already gotten both doses in NJ. My pregnant sister-in-law is on the waiting list.
I know that this is probably in reference to some sort of policy about different age ranges getting the vaccine, but I like to imagine:

- a Ron Swanson level of paranoia about telling a group of virtual strangers how old your dad is
- you don't know how old your dad is

Both are an amusing thought.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I know that this is probably in reference to some sort of policy about different age ranges getting the vaccine, but I like to imagine:

- a Ron Swanson level of paranoia about telling a group of virtual strangers how old your dad is
- you don't know how old your dad is

Both are an amusing thought.

I wasn’t 100% sure of my dad’s age until I read it in his obituary.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I'm getting to the point that I'm not only questioning my team build but actually feeling frustrated that I'm starting to think I've got a problematic build. There are a lot of areas, notably special teams, where I feel like I'm going to be "okay," but still going to be lacking, and at this point, if I'm right about that, it's way too late to fix it.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm getting to the point that I'm not only questioning my team build but actually feeling frustrated that I'm starting to think I've got a problematic build. There are a lot of areas, notably special teams, where I feel like I'm going to be "okay," but still going to be lacking, and at this point, if I'm right about that, it's way too late to fix it.
Welcome to the dread of ATD.

My first draft I grabbed Robitaille as the "BPA" (or at least LW) and was stuck trying to find a way to fit him in my team the rest of the draft.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
I had a thought that it might be interesting to have a head coach attached to the initial draft slot you receive. This would help to guide team building the entirety of the draft and you wouldn't have to worry that you won't get a coach appropriate for the players you are choosing. The coaches could either be randomly assigned a draft slot or go in inverse order of picks (in a 24 pick draft the 24th selection gets Bowman, the 1st pick gets Orr but gets the 24th best coach of all-time).

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I had a thought that it might be interesting to have a head coach attached to the initial draft slot you receive. This would help to guide team building the entirety of the draft and you wouldn't have to worry that you won't get a coach appropriate for the players you are choosing. The coaches could either be randomly assigned a draft slot or go in inverse order of picks (in a 24 pick draft the 24th selection gets Bowman, the 1st pick gets Orr but gets the 24th best coach of all-time).

Interesting thought, but I’d personally much rather start building the foundation and identity of my team before picking an appropriate coach for the roster. Many of us have specific coaches on a do-not-draft list as well. So getting saddled with a specific one you have no desire building a club for wouldn’t be a good start to an ATD.

Reactions: Selfish Man

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea

They now say the Pfizer one can help prevent transmission. What that means, I don't know. Maybe they can target it more now?

South Korea bought millions of doses from four different companies.

+ it'll be free for Koreans AND foreign residents

- people will not be informed which of the four they are receiving (though the gov't will be documenting it: guinea pig double-blind study on a society scale.

f*** that. I'll wait 2 years, read the research and get the most effective/least dangerous one, even if i have to then go back home or pay for it.

This billion dollar industry has emerged overnight and companies have rushed to market "product" based on time-limited studies out of "the public interest" (and corporate profit).

We have never such a confluence of corporate and public interest. It could go swimmingly or it could go sidewards. I suspect a bit of both. An opps or two in the mix. We shall certainly see...

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Honestly as a relative newbie the biggest struggle comes about midway through a draft. The data sources and their relative value is not well discussed, so you're left largely relying on previous draft orders to determine relative value. this leads to compounding "mistakes" in certain players, but also it's just really hard to have the necessary knowledge against people that have done this dozens of times.

I think the solution - to the extent it's a problem to be solved - is some more offseason chatter about the players maybe and more strategy discussion?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino