ATD Chat Thread XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Congratulations to @seventieslord for your latest publication in THN - "a half dozen for the Hall."

I agree wholeheartedly that Anatoli Firsov, Boris Mikhailov, Jiri Holecek, Valeri Vasiliev, Alexander Maltsev, and Vladimir Martinec are the most onerous omissions from the HHOF, now that the Hall has started inducting non-NHL Euros. Sure, there are others they could add, but those 6 are the ones I think are truly glaring omissions.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
They'll be fine as long as they have 2 lines rolling like they do. I still don't see them going far yet, but they at least have some skill beyond the big 2 finally.

Our defence is still garbage, we have a rookie playing top pairing minutes with Nurse in Bear. He's been pretty good at it but that will as always be our weakness.

Tyler Ennis - Connor McDavid - Josh Archibald
RNH - Leon Draisaitl - Kailer Yamamoto

We've really loaded that second line.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
Our defence is still garbage, we have a rookie playing top pairing minutes with Nurse in Bear. He's been pretty good at it but that will as always be our weakness.

Tyler Ennis - Connor McDavid - Josh Archibald
RNH - Leon Draisaitl - Kailer Yamamoto

We've really loaded that second line.

It's a shame Adam Larson become a semi-bust. I was really rooting for him, even in Edmonton.

His development was handled so poorly by the Devils, who wouldn't play him, but wouldn't demote him.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
It's a shame Adam Larson become a semi-bust. I was really rooting for him, even in Edmonton.

His development was handled so poorly by the Devils, who wouldn't play him, but wouldn't demote him.

He had a good game tonight playing with a rookie.

When Klefbom has been healthy, they've been a pretty decent pairing all things considered. But yeah Larson has topped out at an averagish 4D

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
An interesting stat showing Draisaitl's importance to the team - the Oilers record when he scores X points:
  • 3 or more: 14-0-0 (undefeated)
  • 2 points: 12-4-2 (72.2%)
  • 1 point: 10-10-3 (50.0%)
  • Scoreless: 0-9-3 (12.5%)
Through 67 games (including the one that just ended a few minutes ago), the Oilers have zero wins when Draisaitl is scoreless.

Have there been any instances in NHL history when a team is winless when one of their top forwards is held scoreless? I've found only one so far. In 1991, the Nordiques had 19 losses and one tie in Joe Sakic's 20 scoreless games. (That team was so bad, they only managed to go 4-4-4 when Sakic scored 3+ points).

(EDIT - a few examples that I looked at - ie superstar on a terrible team - included Lemieux in 1988 and 1989, Gretzky in 1994, Jagr in 1999, Bure in 2001, and Iginla in 2002).

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
An interesting stat showing Draisaitl's importance to the team - the Oilers record when he scores X points:
Through 67 games (including the one that just ended a few minutes ago), the Oilers have zero wins when Draisaitl is scoreless.

Have there been any instances in NHL history when a team is winless when one of their top forwards is held scoreless? I've found only one so far. In 1991, the Nordiques had 19 losses and one tie in Joe Sakic's 20 scoreless games. (That team was so bad, they only managed to go 4-4-4 when Sakic scored 3+ points).

Great stuff as always HO!

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
Little ditty in the Harvey biography where Harvey led a group of players to hold Rocket down and shave his entire body. Once he got loose, Rocket punched Harvey in the mouth and knocked out two teeth.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
1. A re-direction
2. A slapshot
3. A chip in netside
4. A rebound buried shot
5. A breakaway backhand

5 different kinds of goals by Zibanejad tonight, his parents from Iran and Finland but he from Sweden, i recall he's picked 6th overall in 2011, behind Adam Larsson but ahead of Jonas Brodin, four Swedes actually drafted top 10 that year.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I am in a town one hour from Daegu (the HUGELY central outspread) in South Korea, 12 infected people locally... no schooling this month, i will be fired if i dare travel.

**** you anyone outside Wuhan, China who thinks you have it anywhere near i do.

I haven't worked in two weeks.
I pray i can work next week even though public schools are off then.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I am in a town one hour from Daegu (the HUGELY central outspread) in South Korea, 12 infected people locally... no schooling this month, i will be fired if i dare travel.

**** you anyone outside Wuhan, China whi thinks you have it anywhere near i do.

The news reporting makes it sound like South Korea is actually doing a pretty good job containing the disease and individuals.

Apparently the US isn't even screening people coming for Italy which has the most confirmed cases in Europe, and we have our first presumptive case up here in Alberta

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW

**** you anyone outside Wuhan, China who thinks you have it anywhere near i do.

I'm sorry for your situation, but... what the f***? tabness was 15 min late on a pick and cited his own personal experience as an issue. No reference to you, or anyone else struggling with the coronavirus outbreak.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
The news reporting makes it sound like South Korea is actually doing a pretty good job containing the disease and individuals.
I have been here since 2002 and I CONFIDENTLY say Koreans don't cover their mouths when they cough nor wash their hands when they ****.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I have a bit of a survivalist streak myself (I prefer to think of it as the squirrel instinct); I always have food for a few months at home, as well as filters to clean the water and propane/isobutane bottles and a portable stove to cook food and boil water (water is easy to access in Quebec, especially during winter where snow can be turned into drinkable water if you pass it through a filter and boil it). Nothing crazy, but the bare minimum required to live off a few months.

Add to that a radio and lighting that works with piles, and a few other items at your convenience.

Everybody who has like 500$ to spend should do this, that way we wouldn't have to witness the sad scenes of grocery stores being emptied by people behaving like animals.

Last edited:

tabness

be a playa
Apr 4, 2014
Sorry if my comment came off as insensitive, not intended that way at all, I will edit it out. I'm very blessed in general, just minor changes to my schedule.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
This coronavirus is pure hysteria. Nothing more. The Swine flu killed far more people in the US and the CV has been circulating since December within China. Possibly before then given Xi and the communists covered up the local disaster in Wuhan. Just one of about 5000 reasons why I loathe state controlled societies but that sub forum doesn't exist anymore.

It is mainly killing the very old and people who have compromised immune systems. More than 15K people died globally from the 2009 H1N1 and that number is surely low considering many nations don't have the tech or infrastructure in place to accurately detail the effects.

In 2017-18 this is what the regular strain of the flu did to folks in the US:

2017–18 United States flu season - Wikipedia
The 2017-2018 flu season was severe for all populations and resulted in an estimated 959,000 hospitalizations and 61,099 deaths.

This is not Ebola or the plague. Even if you contract the virus you have roughly a 97-98% chance of survival.

Stop giving into propaganda and faux hysteria. We are nowhere near that level.

ResilientBeast

Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Yeah I'm a healthy (fairly) 25 year old. Not super worried for myself.

My older family members definitely hope they manage to avoid contracting it just in case

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011

(EDIT - a few examples that I looked at - ie superstar on a terrible team - included Lemieux in 1988 and 1989, Gretzky in 1994, Jagr in 1999, Bure in 2001, and Iginla in 2002).
Honestly - it's not that the *team* is bad behind him (although it absolutely is) - it's that the offense flows 100% through him and McDavid (and they often share points, so one's success reflects on the other). On top of that, in OT - if those two ain't scoring, no one on the Oilers is.

I don't know - there are bad teams, and there's how Edmonton is built. I don't remember such a... poorly constructed roster. Credit to Holland on getting at least a couple of NHL players, but man they're just terrible outside of two players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad