9. Greg Cox feat. Emily Sage - The Other Side
10. Karen O and Danger Mouse - Woman

Last edited:
Reactions: tinyzombies

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Ty Law was just selected to enter the NFL pro football hall of fame.

Dang.

I remember like it was yesterday when I was in Ann Arbor watching the Wolverines lose because of Ty Law's blown play in a Colorado hail mary pass for the upset. Man, we criticized him a lot that night. I was a grad student at the U of Windsor, on the Canadian bank of the Detroit river. We were listening to some new group named Hootie & the Blowfish.

Where does a quarter century go?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Ty Law was just selected to enter the NFL pro football hall of fame.

Dang.

I remember like it was yesterday when I was in Ann Arbor watching the Wolverines lose because of Ty Law's blown play in a Colorado hail mary pass for the upset. Man, we criticized him a lot that night. I was a grad student at the U of Windsor, on the Canadian bank of the Detroit river. We were listening to some new group named Hootie & the Blowfish.

Where does a quarter century go?

Fck I don't know but time is passing by so quickly it makes me dizzy.Yesterday I was in my 20s, now I can see my 40s at the horizon.Tomorrow I'll be 50.And next week I'm 80 years old and slowly closing this chapter called existence.Or maybe live to see my 110th birthday in the blink of an eye.

Or I die very young in 3 years, also a possibility.

I was reading a logic book by Raymond Smullyan, and he did it in two parts.In the preface of the second part, he says: ''Those two volumes were supposed to be one volume, but at my age, now 96, I felt that I could pass away at any time and wanted to get the basic material out there''.I found that amazing.Also amazing that he was writing logic books in his 90s.He died at 97.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Yet high school seemed so long. 3 years? Nowadays 3 years are gone in a blink. I'd heard time speeds up as you age, but until you experience it, it's not fully sunk in.

I suddenly wonder: Does retirement slow it down? Is it like childhood when a Saturday seems to last blissfully forever? I'll have to ask a really old guy that.

Last edited:

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Yet high school seemed so long. 3 years?

Nowadays 3 years are gone in a blink.

I'd heard time speeds up as you age, but until you experience it, it's not fully sunk in.

I agree.Years are nothing now.I can plan for something in next January and I'll remember it very well.Back in highschool, a year away was an eternity; no point in planning anything so far ahead.

I've read a theory online that the impression that time speeds up could be because as you age, you compare it to what you already experienced.

So if we take one year, at 1 year old it's 100% of your life.

At 2 years old, 50% of your life.

At 10 years old, 10% of your life.

At 50 years old, 2% of your life.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Though to be honest, I didn't notice the speeding up of my experience of time until I was 23 years old, or more like 25 years old.Somewhere in that range time started to speed up dramatically, and years started to look like each other.I was always more or less the same from year to year.The changes were smaller, slower, unless a dramatic event took place.

Say Hey Kid

Whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I'm watching The Prisoner and then another old Brit show The Avengers.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
Yet high school seemed so long. 3 years? Nowadays 3 years are gone in a blink. I'd heard time speeds up as you age, but until you experience it, it's not fully sunk in.

My former boss/mentor once told me that "life is like a roll of toilet paper - the closer to the end you get, the faster it seems to go". Something I appreciate more each year.

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
Tom Brady has won his 6th ring, incredible.
Brady is like Martin Brodeur: a star on a club without many stars, who plays for an incredibly-coached squad that has every player buying into the team plan, having success against teams with a lot more star players.

Brady is no Montana. Heck, he ain't no Rodgers or Brees. But he can dink and dunk 1st downs under a well-scripted offense.

Like Brodeur, he deserves to be in discussions of best ever for his position, but similarly he shouldn't be top-2 or 3 in anyone's books unless one is only listing team accomplishments (over personal talent, ability and best bunch of games individual performances).

Give me Montana, Marino, Elway, Young, Favre, Manning over Brady any day of the week, including Superbowl Sunday.

Note: If one is so enamoured with Superbowls, then consider Brady threw zero touchdowns yet once again threw an interception in the biggest game,... yet Montana went to the Superbowl three times, was MVP each time, throwing multiple touchdowns each time, with zero interceptions.

The Patriots franchise is what is incredible: credit is due first and foremost to the owner and coach for being on the same page for so long. That's rare.

Imagine how many more Stanley Cups the Habs could have won if the franchise had kept Bowman happy and Dryden had continued playing.

Last edited:

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Brady is like Martin Brodeur: a star on a club without many stars, who plays for an incredibly-coached squad that has every player buying into the team plan, having success against teams with a lot more star players.

Brady is no Montana. Heck, he ain't no Rodgers or Brees. But he can dink and dunk 1st downs under a well-scripted offense.

Like Brodeur, he deserves to be in discussions of best ever for his position, but similarly he shouldn't be top-2 or 3 in anyone's books unless one is only listing team accomplishments (over personal talent, ability and best bunch of games individual performances).

Give me Montana, Marino, Elway, Young, Favre, Manning over Brady any day of the week, including Superbowl Sunday.

Note: If one is so enamoured with Superbowls, then consider Brady threw zero touchdowns yet once again threw an interception in the biggest game,... yet Montana went to the Superbowl three times, was MVP each time, throwing multiple touchdowns each time, with zero interceptions.

The Patriots franchise is what is incredible: credit is due first and foremost to the owner and coach for being on the same page for so long. That's rare.

Imagine how many more Stanley Cups the Habs could have won if the franchise had kept Bowman happy and Dryden had continued playing.

Ok I completely disagree

Montana won the 4 Superbowls he played in yes, but give credit to Brady making it to 9 of them and winning 6.

3 time league MVP, 4 time superbowl MVP

He's played in 3 times the superbowls, that's the GOAT easily

I'm not well versed in NFL history but it seems unlike the Brodeur discussion the media and fans at large agree that after 28-3 Brady is the GOAT

Last edited:
Reactions: Voight

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
... give credit to Brady making it to 9 of them and winning 6...
I gave the franchise credit. It's a TEAM accomplishment.

How many great QBs get the opportunity to play in many Superbowls?

Look at MVP Mahomes doing absolutely everything possible for him individually, but the team defense was a letdown in the end (Chiefs had one of the worst defenses at stopping the run or pass - their only defensive skill were edge rushers).

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I agree Joe Montana is still ahead.Guy was clutch beyond belief.You don't sense that from Brady.He plays good and gives you a chance, but he was on a great franchise for a long time giving him many opportunities.He's not a ''shark'' like Montana, the killer instinct, the stepping up when it matters.

Anyway, not going to get dragged into a long discussion on Football, as I don't care enough.It's a crappy sport.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I agree Montana is still ahead.Guy was clutch beyond belief.You don't sense that from Brady.He plays good and gives you a chance, but he was on a great franchise for a long time giving him many opportunities.

Anyway, not going to get dragged into a long discussion on Football, as I don't care enough.It's a crappy sport.

1554048_1.jpg

Reactions: Voight

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I'm going the drive-by route with my comment on Montana and Brady.Fck football :lol:

I can't defend my position very well.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Looking back on my life, I'm a man of one sport only.I played hockey, baseball, tennis and soccer as a kid, but I only truly loved hockey.Started skating at age three, played organized hockey until I was about 14 years old then life got in the way.

I'm excluding activities like swimming and the likes, which are not real sports, but which I enjoy.

I did try to follow other sports from a distance but my heart was not in it.

Last edited:

VanIslander

Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I was the starting TE for my high school team (love HHOer Tony Fernandez, Travis Kelce, Rob Gronkowski, ... i was in my mind like Ray Elgaard of the Roughriders), backup defensive end and third string qb (had 2 completions on 5 attempts,.. was told to hand off most of my snaps, only once deviated from coach on a dropped five and out route - paid for that in practice - won 3rd string qb role as school's discus throw record holder, only 50+ yard football hail mary hurler - never got the chance to throw a long bomb in a game, to my chagrin).

I joined the team four months after Montana embarrassed the young great Dan Marino in the 1985 Superbowl.

It was almost two years after I had to hang up my skates as a Bantam defenseman who was benched for the playoffs (I was a friggin' captain and star in Atom and Peewee - arggh).

My only post-high school athletic glory (other than three 10 km sub-50 min. runs for the Terry Fox Runs) was the captaincy and team MVP honors for my roller hockey team in the Seoul league seven years ago - we made the finals, most players were twentysomething, I was early forties.

Ah... memories...

Say Hey Kid

Whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Ok I completely disagree. Montana won the 4 Super Bowls he played in yes, but give credit to Brady making it to 9 of them and winning 6. 3 time league MVP, 4 time superbowl MVP. He's played in 3 times the Super Bowls, that's the GOAT easily I'm not well versed in NFL history but it seems unlike the Brodeur discussion the media and fans at large agree that after 28-3 Brady is the GOAT
Agreed. Brady has 44 game wining drives, Montana has 28, and the 49ers were the first franchise where the head coach (Bill Walsh) used the West Coast offense which gave Montana a huge advantage. Everyone uses it now.

Last edited:

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
The NFL has absolutely become the worst of the big 4 sports. Between the constant ridiculous penalties (my favorites are the 3rd and 20 illegal contact ones that are 5 yard variety, which then give the offense an auto first down...cough/sportsbetting/fantasy/cough), literally trying to legislate the bulk of the violence out of an inherently violent game and the intertwined political drama and zero consistency when it comes to punishment, I rarely watch anymore.

Honestly the political nonsense is the most nauseating. There is enough of that garbage in our lives as it is. I don't want it anywhere near the rink, field, arena, pitch, whatever.

As somebody who loathes New England, mainly due to their constant bending and even breaking of multiple rules, Brady and Belichek are easily the greatest at their respective positions. It's not even debatable anymore. Unless a smoking gun comes out that really uncovered a spying scheme or coordinated effort to keep them on top, it's impossible to ignore their dominance over the past 2 decades.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad