ATD Chat Thread XVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
Lack of blind optimism looks good on you, but is the idea really all that funny? They're two points out and just made a big coaching upgrade. They've won two thirds of their games with Hitchcock. If that continues, they're a 101 point team.

I doubt it'll continue, this is not a good team. They riding a strong goalie and hoping 1-2 goals is enough to win.

We have 3 maybe 4 top 6 forwards and 3 top 4 defencemen

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I mean Hitchcock isn't dumb. He sees the roster like we see it and knows that trying to outgun teams (McDavid or not) is not going to work. They simply don't have the scoring depth.

So, you sacrifice offense for team defensive play and hope you get a hot goalie to help you out. Ain't fun but the alternative is likely worse in the W-L ledger.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I mean Hitchcock isn't dumb. He sees the roster like we see it and knows that trying to outgun teams (McDavid or not) is not going to work. They simply don't have the scoring depth.

So, you sacrifice offense for team defensive play and hope you get a hot goalie to help you out. Ain't fun but the alternative is likely worse in the W-L ledger.

I'm pretty sure Hitchcock would have them play that way regardless of their roster.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Trivia 101:

Pat Hornqvist now owns the fastest hatty in Penguins history.

With the offensive stars they've had over the past 3 decades, a pretty cool deal for one hellova workhorse player.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
In last night's close game, up 2-1 in the third period, Nylander surges up the right side and Marleau beats all skaters to the net on the left side to convert a perfect pass from Nylander into a goal.

Then the Leafs commentator notes Marleau came "from 20 feet behind the play" to score the insurance goal.

A great display of both players' skill.

Textbook.

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Ovechkin is a pure goal scoring freak (duh!). His overall game has improved greatly the past few seasons as well.

Watched a good bit of the Caps last night and he looks like he'll be an elite goal scorer for at least a few more years. Has quite a bit left in the tank it seems.

Don't know if he'll hit 60+ again (on pace to cruise there) but damnit if he isn't the most consistent goal scorer today, at 33 years old. People like to push the shiny new toys, but guys like Laine are far to streaky. They often go long stretches without scoring.

Really awesome to see him and Sid still going strong on the wrong side of 30. They may be a rival and a team I root against, but it's great for hockey to still have a major rivalry (team and player) going on a decade and half later.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I wish OV had some internal drive to check as often and eagerly as he used to.

But no Finn grit in his DNA;
no Canadian tenacity;
no Soviet discipline...

Just youthful Russian exhuberance followed by veteran doggedness.

There are just two HfBoard posters who've said more positive things about Alex... and they ain't History board regulars!

ImporterExporter

Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
I'm not surprised 8 doesn't check as crazily as he used to. He's much older haha. He picks his battles better, rather than just flying around like a lunatic. It's "fun" to watch that but in all reality I don't know how effective it is to continually be out of position because you're lining people up and not always connecting.

He's never going to be a stopper defensively but he seems to have at least morphed into somebody who's responsible and at least getting into position on the defensive side of things. He's cagier offensively because he has slowed down a bit. Still bombing shots off that left circle though! Nobody can stop it. It really is a marvel.

As much as I didn't like him as a younger player, I'm still glad I got to witness his entire career in the whole. Same with 87. I think when they're both done playing we'll be looking at 2 of top 10-15 players ever. Possibly both make it into the top 10 with enough merit the rest of the way. A 60 goal season and record breaking Richard would certainly vault Ovi up another notch in my book.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
In last night's close game, up 2-1 in the third period, Nylander surges up the right side and Marleau beats all skaters to the net on the left side to convert a perfect pass from Nylander into a goal.

Then the Leafs commentator notes Marleau came "from 20 feet behind the play" to score the insurance goal.

A great display of both players' skill.

Textbook.

See, I just knew you'd come in here to praise Nylander over this pass. It was nice, but it was more or less routine for a skill player on a 2-on-1. It's not post-worthy. Marner's work on his own assist last night was much more impressive. And on dozens of others throughout his career.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
As of now, based on simple probability formulas, the Leafs have a 25.6% chance of getting to the finals. And if they do, there's a 32.8% chance their opponent will be Edmonton, Calgary, Winnipeg, Minnesota, Vegas or Colorado.

Why does that matter? Because that means there's an 8.4% chance right now that I'll be attending the Stanley Cup Finals! I've been waiting to do so, for my whole life.

Reactions: ResilientBeast

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I wonder if he's gonna try to do with McDavid what he did with Modano.That would probably be a good idea and give McDavid a better shot at multiple Stanley Cups in the long run.Less Art Ross trophies, more cups.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I wonder if he's gonna try to do with McDavid what he did with Modano.That would probably be a good idea and give McDavid a better shot at multiple Stanley Cups in the long run.Less Art Ross trophies, more cups.

I hope McDavid has another couple of Art Ross trophies in him even if his game rounds out.

I would love to see him as a defensible choice for top 10/15 all time :naughty::laugh:

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
McDavid is by no means done winning Harts and ross trophies.

I said from the start - he'll win a few, he'll be in the mix for a few others, he'll miss a few by missing some games. It'll be pretty similar to Crosby. In 20 years when we're comparing their careers, they'll probably be a wash as far as "on paper" stuff like that goes. It'll come down to how much McDavid rounded out his game, and what he does in the playoffs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad